Hello everyone!

Options
Hi all!!! I've been looking for a community to join to keep me motivated to lose weight when a friend mentioned the Fitness Pal app! So glad I found it!

A little background info about me. I was always a curvy girl! But in my high school years I looked good! Then came marriage and babies and 10 years later I had gained 65 lbs! 20 of those I actually gained after giving birth! I am now 235lbs, I lost 5lbs this past week after I went cold turkey and cut out all simple carbs, sugars, and drink, I only drink water and green tea. I think the rapid weight loss has been due to the extreme change in diet plus all the excessive weight I am holding plus perhaps some water weight since I reduced my sodium intake greatly. I don't have time to work out a lot but i get some excersice in keeping up with my 1 year old. I am really motivated! I look forward to meeting some of you and glad that I won't have to go on this "adventure" alone! =) if anyone has any tips to share with me by all means go ahead!

Replies

• Lifeisablessing
    Lifeisablessing Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to myfitnesspal,

I see you stated you don't have much time to work out due to having a small child which I know can be more than a handful. : ) If you have Comcast as your cable service you can always check On Demand for 10 -15 minute walking workouts that can be done inside which are pretty simple to do during your down time. I use the walking exercises offered through Comcast especially when it is extremely hot outside. I hope this helps!

Good luck with you new venture on life you will do just fine.
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    Hi!! Welcome :) I feel your pain. I'm still trying to get rid of the baby weight...and my kids are now 8 and 4. I think for MFP to really work, you have to be dedicated to logging your food and exercise each and every day and be completely honest about all that you're consuming. It is astonishing to see which foods you're used to eating that have an absurd amount of calories. For example, I love the bistro shrimp pasta at Cheesecake Factory. I learned recently it has over 2,800 calories for the plate!! Needless to say, I am limiting my consumption of this favorite dish to once a year (on my anniversary) and I get the lunch portion to reduce the calories :)

I don't think you have to completely stop eating the foods you like...just practice portion control and maybe learn to make them a little healthier. Exercise is also a key to losing weight. There are different schools of thought on here as to whether or not you should "eat back" the calories you expend while exercising. I say do what feels right for you.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you on your journey. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like =)
  • andylov3
    Options
    Hi Chamiya82! You are right! You have to log absolutely everything! Crazy how things I didn't think were that high in Calorie actually was! There are some foods I absolutely had to stop though, for example I used to eat white rice every day! For lunch and dinner! It was out of hand! I switched that for salads and when I really need a rice fix I use brown rice instead :) I avoid eating out except for special occasions, it works, it's light on my calorie logging and the wallet! Double win! LOL! As for eating the calories I exercise, I never do! Though I will admit that sometimes I will squeeze in a quick walk if I go a little over the daily limit! Just to get that number back to looking green again, hating the red! :) Thank you so much for the tips! :) Requesting the lunch portion is actually a good idea! I'll try that next time :)

Lifeisablessi I don't have Comcast but I have found some videos on YouTube and I am thinking about starting those this week, maybe 3-4 times a week when the kiddo is napping :)

I am definitely looking forward to shedding these pounds! :)