Fiber One Bar - Bloating!?

Options
evt84
evt84 Posts: 71 Member
Does anyone else find that Fiber One bars cause bloating!?

I bought a box this week and had one (just one) yesterday. I noticed in the afternoon that I felt SO bloated, but chalked it up to the fact that my favorite female time of the month is coming up in a couple days (blah!). The bloat didn't go away until I woke up this morning.

This morning, I had another bar--and literally within a half hour I am SO BLOATED that I can't even stand it! I can't even suck my stomach in! I am so uncomfortable and look PREGNANT! I'm sure it will go away by tomorrow...but I will suffer until then!

Do Fiber One bars do this to anyone else!? It only has 5 grams of fiber in it....

No more of those for me.....yuck!

Replies

• marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Actually, they have 9 grams of fiber, which is probably causing your bloating. If you are not used to eating that much fiber in one sitting it can cause some real painful gastrointestinal issues.

They can give me acid reflux sometimes (along with the bloating) what I found that works with these is to eat them right before a workout. Somehow, having the body moving while you are digesting tends to diminish some of those effects.

And drink lots, and lots and lots of water. That way the fiber can be flushed out of your system.
  • Ichigo2012
    Ichigo2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've tried Fiber One bars... The amount of gas I produced was tremendous. I mean, it went from being funny to almost scary. I'm betting I could have filled a kitchen trash bag like a hot air balloon. I steer well clear of those.
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I have a Fiber One Protein bar every morning and usually a Fiber One Cinnamon Coffee Cake for a snack and I don't have any issues. I do drink lots of water though.
  • smoothandfast
    smoothandfast Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Check the ingredients. Sounds like you are sensitive/allergic to something in the bars. Way too much processed crap & preservatives.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    When I first started eating Fiber one bars they did that to me, but it got better over time. If you're not used to that much fiber, it will cause discomfort. I remember the first time I had HALF a bar I was up and down all night. I agree about drinking a lot of water.. it'll help!
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    They get some (or maybe all) the fiber from Chicory Root (at least last time I checked - check the ingredients) and I've read this is a common complaint about it. I've found I'm super sensitive to this type of fiber & feel horrible after having it! They've started adding it to a million things too which drives me nuts. I eat enough fiber from other sources, so it's not just extra fiber for me, it's this type of fiber.

So it could be that you are just not used to that much fiber... try having a half or a quarter and building up and/or trying other high fiber foods to see if they bother you. Also, it could just be that type of fiber.
  • evt84
    evt84 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The bar I have says 5 grams--not 9. But apparently that was enough for me! It's been about 5 hours since I ate it and I am still SO BLOATED!

I'll steer clear of those from now on. I bought them because they were the Fiber One Protein Bars--and I needed more protein for the day and had them on hand. I'll stick to a different kind of Protein bar I guess!
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Looking at the ingredients and all the junk that's in them, I would definitely bloat!
  • semarsh12
    semarsh12 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they were gas city for me! I don't get them anymore.