Fighting Anxiety and Stress.

Options
This month has always been difficult for me and this year seems to be no different. I have high levels of anxiety and stress and I'm struggling with binges and depression.

Apart from working out, which I still commit to regularly (although I might make it daily from hereon) what are some of the ways people find best to tackle these triggers?

(Trog, back me up with some of that forced-positivity stuff. Every little helps.)

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Making accomplishments helps me, bonus points if it's something that requires physical exertion. Stuff like heavy-duty landscaping, or remodeling a room (painting, moving furniture). On a less physical scale, creative things like painting and drawing or making jewelry. Something where I can look at the results and say, "Yay, I did that!"

When my mom was hospitalized before she died, I think participating in Project 365 kept me sane. It was a photography thing, where I'd take at least one photo every day for a full year. So I had to get out of the house (mostly walking the dog, sometimes going for rides) and look for things that inspired me. Birds and other animals, flowers and leaves and landscapes, sunsets, cityscapes. It forced me to find beauty in a time when everything felt bleak.

Also... bubblebaths and a good book.
  • IMarieB
    IMarieB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've also struggled with anxiety it usually creeps up when there a lot of "noise" in my life. At those times I have to do lots of deep breathing and relaxation techniques. I also have to cut out caffiene and cut back on sugar. I take B vitamins and magnesium supplements also which are said to help with the anxiety I have found this to be true. I also do alot of praying and reading the bible all these things help me get out of the slump. I also continue to exercise and run even if I'm not in the mood. I hope things get better. God Bless, you are in my prayers.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    All of THIS^^^.

Plus this -- don't be so hard on yourself. You're a stay-at-home-mom of two young kids. When I was one, it was very hard emotionally (and physically). I felt pretty isolated sometimes (even tho I had mom friends w/kids), I felt like I wasn't worth much, wasn't doing much (even though you're really doing a heck of a LOT), and was on a roller coaster ride of ups and downs all the time. Understand that this is a really wonderful but really BRUTUAL time for you as a woman. It let me wondering who I was, what I wanted, what I was gonna do with myself after kids...and at the same time, feeling like a terrible mother most of the time, because I wanted to be so darned good at it if it was my FT job! :noway: :noway:

What always makes me fall into a funk faster and longer is beating myself up about stuff -- telling myself, "GOD, why do I feel this way?! What's WRONG with me?!? Why can't I just be HAPPY?!! Why can't I be MORE, try HARDER, DO more, blah blah blah." I still do it, trust me...but I try to remember how much better things go when I don't do it. Try to be gentle with yourself.

Plus the fact that you're working out every day despite everything else...? :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Give yourself kudos. And take a look at those photos in your profile again! You've made great progress already -- celebrate that.

And hang in there...it's tough.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with both anxiety and depression for a long time.

You have made a huge step by taking those feelings out of the dark and giving them light and air (by sharing with others). It was/is hard for me to do that a lot of the time.

I don't have any easy answers for you, but just know you're not alone.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I just get into working out... I get streesed and have bouts with depression... but I start my work out and by the time its over I feel much better...
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, I just workout in my basement for a couple hours. Other times, I get out to the driving range to hit some balls.

When I'm feeling like I can be productive again, I'll make lists. It clears my mind of a lot of clutter. I started putting all of those lists into Evernote so I always have them with me so I can work with them if I'm standing in line or something. In some cases, it's to-do lists. In other cases, it's just organized thoughts that I might use later. This includes recipes and workout tips.

Also, when I'm stressed, I spend a lot of time cleaning and organizing. If the room is messy, my mind is messy, too.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I got started on some deep cleaning today, just trying to clear some clutter from my life. I will take a run later for a bit of a workout and also just to (hopefully) get out of my head for a while.
  • The_GingerBeard_Man
    The_GingerBeard_Man Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    awesomeeee.jpg?w=490
  • r524reed
    r524reed Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This ^
    Ahhhhhhhhh that's great !!!!!!!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Sunshine. :glasses: Just stepping out and feeling the warmth and light lift me a bit. I get really dad if I can't get out.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    yoga helps me calm down, having some one to talk to is a plus too.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Here are some that work for me..

Deep breathing, meditation (focus on non-judgemental acknowledgement of all your feelings and sensations), go out and get some sunshine, playing with pets/animals, de-cluttering my space..

You are definitely not alone!
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Haing young kids is tough....remember to cut yourself some slack. Getting out of the house alone is helpful. Working out is fabulous. Getting enough sleep is tough but soooo beneficial. And ditto, know you are not alone. I read a great book, humourous and helpful called "I was a really good mom before I had kids" by Kathy Bucksworth.
  • TeachTheGirl
    Options
    I need a new book, so I'll give that a look, thanks!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Calm breathing helps.

http://www.anxietybc.com/sites/default/files/CalmBreathing.pdf

Also, map out or write down the things that make you anxious, then rank them in order.

Once the list is prioritized, you can develop a coping strategy.

Typically, a combination of cognitive behavioral therapy and medication works the best. While medication is often demonized, an SSRI at the right dose if often very effective in helping anxiety, however, cognitive therapy is ultimately the key.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Well, workout and and getting productive have already been suggested and they are GREAT suggestions.

I am very very experienced with mental illness (anxiety, OCD, depression) and another thing that helps is hypnosis. I love the Andrew Johnson hypnosis apps for smartphones. They don't knock you out and make you do weird things - trust me. It's like guided meditation and he helps build your positive thinking. It's wonderful. Definitely look him up.

Good luck :)
  • mercurysfire
    mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    One of the best things for depression is sun. I don't know why. Next best thing is physical activity. Again I don't know why but whenever I got into a dark hole those are what worked the best for digging out of it. As for the anxiety, your bestie is your BFF for a reason. We are social animals and when we don't get enough interaction people start to get stressed. If you don't have a social net, start building one. Sometimes it just helps to sit with a cohort and talk about whatever comes to mind.
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Hi, I suffer from chronic anxiety and depression for over 20 years now and I know it can hit hard and be very difficult to see past the dark times. My anxiety is with me at all times .
    I have to say walking has been a great anxiety reliever for me .With some upbeat music and the freedom I feel as I walk my head clears leaving me feel refreshed.
    I get very anxious around a lot of people so I walk at night when there are not a lot of people out.

I put myself more into doing things with my 14 year old lately which keeps my mind focused on being with him and being creative. Reading at times and just all the inspiration I get here helps me with my depression. They always uplift me and make me feel I am Worth more than I sometimes think .
    If I am in bed depressed for a few days I make a choice to say out loud to myself you can do this, you will do this ,baby steps. I start by getting a shower which means feeling refreshed and being dressed makes me feel I am accomplishing something else. I then want to do little things like some housework or bake for the boys.

Sometimes just relaxing in a room with scented candles lit and a fav fruit calms my anxiety.

I have gone through so much with anxiety and so many things bring me through ,the same with the depression. You can feel free to add me .
  • TeachTheGirl
    Options
    Thanks again for the responses everyone.

I'm feeling a little less stressed these past few days. Talking with a few friends about various things has definitely helped; I hadn't realized how much I was bottling things up again.
  • grace173
    grace173 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Making accomplishments helps me, bonus points if it's something that requires physical exertion. Stuff like heavy-duty landscaping, or remodeling a room (painting, moving furniture). On a less physical scale, creative things like painting and drawing or making jewelry. Something where I can look at the results and say, "Yay, I did that!"

When my mom was hospitalized before she died, I think participating in Project 365 kept me sane. It was a photography thing, where I'd take at least one photo every day for a full year. So I had to get out of the house (mostly walking the dog, sometimes going for rides) and look for things that inspired me. Birds and other animals, flowers and leaves and landscapes, sunsets, cityscapes. It forced me to find beauty in a time when everything felt bleak.

Also... bubblebaths and a good book.

Wow! Are you me?? Good advice. Keep it going :smile: