Weight Loss with Metformin

Options
Hi! My gyno suggested that I speak to my family doc about taking metformin as it will help regulate my blood sugar and help with my weight loss as I've been having difficulty losing weight. Is any one taking metformin and has it contributed to your weightloss? Also, do you recommend that I take it? Any help would be appreciated:)
:smile:

Replies

• LaserMum
    LaserMum Posts: 133
    Options
    I take Metformin and it has made no difference to weight loss for me.

It won't regulate blood sugars. It brings them down a bit but not a great amount. I take them because I'm diabetic and I've had better results from limiting carbs than I do from taking Metformin.
  • 4given4life
    4given4life Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for myself, but I go to TOPS meetings weekly and we have a pretty small group. Several of the ladies are on Metformin and that is what they attribute to helping them lose weight. One lady got to her goal weight and stopped taking the Metformin and then gained weight back. Now she is back on the meds.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I take Metformin and I don't think it's helped my weight loss--my weight loss is attributed to the foods I eat and calorie reduction. I'm taking it for Type II diabetes and my goal is to eventually stop taking it with the help of weight loss and diet control. I hate taking any drugs and the less I have to take the better. And you know what they say....there's no magic pill that will do the work for you.
  • strick1982
    Options
    If only it helped me with weight loss. Like most people, my weight loss came/is coming from diet.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    I would try using "food as medicine" instead of starting a new drug. Use your diet, it can be very powerful!
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i have pcos with insulin resistance and metformin has helped me a lot on my weightloss i take it since march this year with a calorie deficit and lots of exercise and it has increased my monthly weightloss from maybe 1 kg a month up to 6 kg a month but it is not a weightloss drug you should only take it if you have a medical condition like insulin resistance
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am T2 diabetic and I take Metformin. When I first took it, it decimated my appetite and I lost a hell of a lot of weight far too quickly. I still take Met now and while it does little for my BG I have superb control with 25g or less of carbs a day, it does offer good cardio vascular protection so my Doctor is happy to keep prescribing it just for that reason, I am happy to take it. Metformin is a very safe drug, it can cause some gastric problems, if that happens you can be prescribed the slow release version. Hope that helped a little.
  • mbelle97
    mbelle97 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I take Met and I think it has helped with weight loss but not just because I'm taking a pill.
    The stomach side effects from Met are lessened for me when I keep my carbs low. If I go overboard with carbs/sugar, I get really sick. So its kind of an incentive to eat well.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I too have PCOS and insulin resistance and my doctor recommended trying Metoformin but I decided to try dieting without it. I wanted to see if I could do something about it without meds as Metoformin can be very rough on some people's digestive systems. I really have to watch my carbs and my sugar but since April I have lost over 20lbs, my sugar levels are now normal and I am down from a size 16 to a 12. It is slow going but when I don't have success is when I indulge to much. The other thing is I eliminated all aspartame as it can play with your sugar levels too and I am exercising more this time around.

It is all a personal choice I think, and it will help some and not help others.
  • jbirkett7
    jbirkett7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and lost the majority of the weight on my ticker without metformin. However I did go on it last month and feel like it might have accelerated my movement in losing the last few pounds. It's not a miracle diet drug, but it does apparently help some people with Insulin Resistance who otherwise struggle with weight loss.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    People who are Type 2 diabetic or insulin resistant will be interested in the link below. It deals with research on how to reverse your condition. In addition to that it cost you no money as it's just a diet as opposed to drugs or surgery. If you are interested, forward the research to your doctor and tell him that you want to try it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1073917-reversing-type-2-diabetes
  • anjali_27
    anjali_27 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for our insight. I too have PCOS and will try to stick to both MFP and a good exercise plan. Hopefully, I will be able to lose weight. If all fails, then I will speak to my doc about metformin.
  • pennysteed
    pennysteed Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    While it sounds as if you have reached your decision, I thought I would share my experience with Met. My gyno did put me on it to assist in my weight loss. I was on it for over a year, and it was my PCM who took me off of it after seeking a second opinion. Neither doctor had heard of any real studies of Metformin actually assisting in weight loss or speeding up a metabolism for non diabetic patients. I was so happy to quit the meds. The real downside to all of this, was I had to undergo three surgeries while on this drug, and every single nurse treated me like a diabetic, testing my sugar and so forth. I was even receiving calls for free monitors. I actually went back to my gyno to ask her if there was something she was not telling me. If you can avoid it, I would. While I lost weight, it was due to exercise and not pills.
  • dd2182
    dd2182 Posts: 1
    Options
    I was severely insulin resistant and slightly hypothyroid when dx'ed.. With metformin and eltroxin Idid lose 12 kgs in 6-7 months, 7 of which was in the first 45 odd days..Of course, I was low carbing and added lots of exercise after 2 months...
    But after my pregnancy (during which I was on metformin), I am back where I started from.. Met helped me regulate the weight during pregnancy as well... But once I was taken off met after baby's delivery,I bloated up in 4 months..due to my bad eating as well as no met... Trying to lose this time with exercise and diet, but its coming off real slow!
    Hope this helps...