Problems with Overeating

Options
Hi, I'm not new, but I don't really have any active friends. I struggle a lot with overeating, like I can eat a whole large pizza and in an hour eat a large bag of chips, or I can eat 4 sandwiches in one sitting, a whole bag of kisses...you get the idea. I am going to school for Human Services, and I have realized I can't help others if I can't even help myself. So starting tomorrow I plan to log everything I eat even if it's really bad, so maybe that can be my eye opener. I am just looking for some people to help me out, I'm over 300 lbs now, and I had gotten down to 220 before. You don't have to be a person with overeating problems either, anyone can add me!

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're a binge eater too. I struggle with this also and so do a lot of other people here. Feel free to add me and you also may want to check out this group. They have a monthly challange me vs binge where you try to have as many binge free days as possible in a month.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/726-binge-eating-support-group
  • lindasknight
    lindasknight Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sounds like we have a lot in common! It was like reading my own words!
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    add me too! I now log everything , even when I overeat- I also have binge tendencies, I know what you go through. good luck!
    stay on the site and add more friends it's helped me so much!
  • RachelG2983
    Options
    I was 202 when I started working out and counting calories a few weeks ago. I too could sit down and eat a large pizza. Intact it was a medium Hawaiian pizza and two lava crunch cakes I ate in one sitting that made me change my ways the next day. I'm an emotional eater...boredom, stress, anxiety, depression and even happiness gave me a reason to indulge in unhealthy eating habits.

You are definitely not alone. Good for you on logging what you eat now. It does help and you can do this :)
  • krisspf
    krisspf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I completely know where you are coming from. I am starting the same thing tomorrow because I just recently started this. As for active friends, I don't really have any friends with weight issues and have been struggling to get below 240. So yeah I also don't have much of a support group.
  • need2shrink
    need2shrink Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I over eat all the time when I am not on a motivated diet. Feel free to add me, I just dropped below 300 on today's scales.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I over eat all the time when I am not on a motivated diet. Feel free to add me, I just dropped below 300 on today's scales.

Congrats!
  • amoymh
    amoymh Posts: 44
    Options
    Reading this gave me that nervous/sick feeling I would get after every binge (which I still have every couple of weeks when I'm feeling this Sh)t) but having an open diary definetly makes you accountable of your actions and slows you down. Now I'm learning to eat all my favorite foods within limits and lose weight and love myself all day everyday. I feel your pain girlfriend and I would love to be your friend and support eachother through these toughtimes to health :P
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I've been known to put away entire pizzas (sometimes with breadsticks...and ranch, of course), restaurant meals plus appetizers and dessert, multiple fast food meal combos, full-sized bags of chips, whole boxes of crackers and/or cookies, entire boxes of cereal, half-gallons of ice cream, entire trays of coffee cake, liters and liters and liters of calorie-laden beverages......well, you get the picture. I could (and regularly have in the past) put away 4000-5000+ calories in a day EASY.

You are not alone :flowerforyou: You may add me if you'd like.
  • Tercob
    Tercob Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I tend to have days where all I want to do is eat. More of a nothing is satisfying me so I keep eating to see if it stops. I don't have them as often as I used to but I defiantly feel you.
  • molinaad
    molinaad Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I"m in. Let do it! We all got this. Add me too.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I tend to have days where all I want to do is eat. More of a nothing is satisfying me so I keep eating to see if it stops. I don't have them as often as I used to but I defiantly feel you.

Me too. Since Starting MFP I have found that my stomach can't handle as much food and I tend to get sick/queasy sooner then I used. It doesn't stop me from wanting to cram everything I see into my face however. Then I feel guilt from over eating so I turn to food to make me feel better and well you get it...Never Ending Cycle.
  • clane55
    clane55 Posts: 9
    Options
    I have all the same problems. I have 12 friends on here and only 2 have logged in recently. I need support from people that are going through the same thing and all of you look like you are .. Add me too plz!
  • L4GFOREVER
    Options
    when i started out i weighed 297lbs. It is a great idea to track everything you eat without doing anything differant for a week. it will help you make adjustments. The great thing about when i was larger any changes i made no matter how small added up to big rewards on the scale. Good luck in your journey..... If i can tell you one thing it would be to make small changes at a time and work yourself up. Trying to do to much at once will just make you binge later or burn you out.:smile:
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Haven't read all the posts so if this was mentioned already I apologize.

I believe, and I'm not an expert, just someone whose done a lot of reading and research, that binge eating CAN be caused by a number of factors among which is lack of nutrition in the foods we eat.

The body KNOWS you need micro nutrients as well as macro's and if you aren't putting them into it then it will strive to get them so I always recommend that you start by looking at what you are eating rather then how much. I also suggest watching movies like 'Fat, sick and nearly dead' and 'Hungry For Change'.

First, pizza and chips isn't food, it's entertainment (in my book) and eating them often or in large quantities isn't a good idea (we all know this). How to stop doing that, I think, is the key that we all seek so here is what I've done:

First accept that we do not know what to eat nor how much of it and that while we assume that since it's in the 'food' store and approved by big brother (Uncle Sam says it's ok right? -- FDA? USDA?) we are most likely WRONG.

Second, look SERIOUSLY at what we need daily -- women need about 25 grams of fiber. An 8 inch Pappa Johns Pepperoni Pizza has ONE GRAM of Dietary Fiber....so even eating FOUR of those won't get you even close. Chips? Nadda really.

So we KNOW we need fiber right? Not just for the obvious reasons but for various reasons right? From Mayo Clinic:
    foods containing fiber can provide other health benefits as well, such as helping to maintain a healthy weight and lowering your risk of diabetes and heart disease.

To get the required daily fiber someone has to eat A LOT of carbs! Ooooh those evil carbs right? NO! Yes it's a good idea to stay away from Ice Cream and Soda but that doesn't mean don't eat carbs! Sheesh! Carbs are more then just sugar but are things like Cereal Grains (Rice, Wheat, Oats, Farro, Quinoa etc) as well as fruits and veggies. For breakfast try eating oatmeal (train yourself to eat it if it's not what you normally eat).

One bowl of oatmeal (3/4 cup measured) contains 6 grams of Fiber -- that's as much as SIX 8" Pepperoni Pizzas!!! -- and since that's only 230 calories you can add a scoop of Chia Seeds to get an additional 4 grams of fiber for another 85 cals and finally top that off with some Agave Necter to sweeten up up (3/4th TBS) for 45 calories and you have a low cal breakfast that gives you almost half your daily fiber (for women) and will tied you over for a few hours (unless very active).

To continue on this theme you could eat whole grains for lunch with olive oil to get the much needed EFA's (which help keep the body from adding more fat some research suggests) and a low sodium spice to keep it interesting. 1 to 1 1/2 cups of whole grain rice (long grain brown, short grain brown, black), Quinoa, wild rice, lentils etc can continue to keep you satisfied and help prevent binging....

Finally, for dinner, eat a HUGE green leafy salad with lots of things like carrots, celery, broccoli etc tossed in. Use a low cal dressing (and measure it) and stuff yourself silly with salad. Then when you start gnawing on that pizza you won't have room to eat it all!

Be sure to drink lots of water too and keep yourself full with water and whole grains, salad and such so when the urge to entertain yourself with food arrives you have less room to stuff it.

And last but not least, if you eat more then you should GO WALK IT OFF. Calculate how much extra you ate and how many miles you'll have to walk to wear it off and get those shoes on and start walking.

make that a habit, change you life, live better and learn about food and perhaps the life reasons you eat this way and you CAN turn it around and eat better, lose the weight and love life :)
  • Mythril
    Mythril Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hiiiii. I'm Becky. I was 330lbs. I had trouble over eating, too. I am only 16 lbs lighter, but I've been doing this about 50 days and I can no longer eat as much as I used to. I once could eat a whole 12" sub and still be hungry. Now I'm lucky if I can eat a 6" without the bun. (I'm on a ketogenic diet.) You can friend me if you wanna.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Hi :flowerforyou:

Like the other posters I struggle with overeating/binge eating and just random mindless eating. You can add me to your friends if you'd like.

Also, if you like to read two books that really opened my eyes to why I eat what I do.
    Mindless Eating - By Brian Wansink
    End of Overeating Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite - David Kessler

Good luck!