running help, please

Options
okay, so when i was in high school i used to run about 4 miles a day, just on my own outside, no problem. then i got to college and had a free gym so i started running on treadmills and using ellipticals. some days when i'm running on a treadmill i feel great, but the last 4-5 times i've tried to run i get excruciating pain in my lower back. it feels like it is cramping up, but if i walk for a few minutes or switch to an elliptical the pain goes away immediately. any idea what could be causing this? i don't think my form has changed at all, and i haven't changed the incline or speed..

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Shoes?

How old are they and are you sure they are the right shoe for you?

Get fitted at a specialty running store.
  • stevesilk
    stevesilk Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. Have only been running for about 6 months, but the shoes make ALL THE DIFFERENCE. A good pair fitted correctly can eliminate a lot of the pain runners endure. And they wear out, so remember to get the advice of the experts (like Carson) about when to retire your shoes.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Core strength would be my first thought.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Are you running outside at all currently? Do you get the back pain when outside, or only on the treadmill?
  • eli_802
    eli_802 Posts: 60
    Options
    thanks for the replies, everyone.

i guess my shoes could be the issue.. they're about 6 months old. my biggest concern is just that i've run with older shoes than this before, but its never made me be is this much pain.

as for running outside, i don't go on runs per say, but sometimes i'll jog to campus (about a mile) and haven't had any pain then.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies, everyone.

i guess my shoes could be the issue.. they're about 6 months old. my biggest concern is just that i've run with older shoes than this before, but its never made me be is this much pain.

as for running outside, i don't go on runs per say, but sometimes i'll jog to campus (about a mile) and haven't had any pain then.

Age of the shoes don't matter... fit/support matters. Old shoes that fit right will be better than new shoes that don't.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Posture and Core Strength, lack there of puts more presure on the lower back.
  • frozen2late
    frozen2late Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here.
    When my sneakers are not fitted or tight enough, I get very cramped up in my back because my form is going to be poor even if I don't notice.

There is a bigger difference though that might occur inside vs. outside = Air conditioner

If you are in direct contact with a lot of cold air blowing you might cramp up. I find it harder to run in the chilly weather or in an AC'd gym.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Could be shoes.

Could be posterior chain.

Start doing squats in the squat rack. Maybe some lunges? Bulgarian split squats are supposed to be good too, but I have never tried them.

After squats, deadlifts, clean press and a few other accessory exercises my back and shoulder pains have pretty much become non-existent wile running.