Knee problems with the Elliptical machine

Options
I've joined a gym this week and decided to work on the Elliptical because it's supposed to be lower impact and not cause knee problems like a treadmill does. I noticed the first time I got on it that my right knee seemed to pull with every downward motion. After using one 3 days this week, my knee is swollen and tight. Has anyone else had this problem?
I think I'm going to stick to the treadmill from here on out, it doesn't cause this pulling sensation.

Replies

• KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    Options
    I love the elliptical and I have no knee problems with it. But if something hurts, then stop. Maybe the treadmill is better for YOUR body. Good luck!
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    You have got to go slow on the elliptical. After I had a meniscus tear and surgery, my husband got me an elliptical. I used it once and my other knee started swelling. I started using it again 5 weeks ago and am going slow adding 1 min a week. So far so good. I do not know if this is helpful since mine is at home and I can do a little at a time at the gym it would be different.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It kills my knees! But I do great up and down hills on the treadmill.
  • kirra_80
    kirra_80 Posts: 36
    Options
    I have knee problems and I've also had trouble with the elliptical. I used to own one but had to sell it because it bothered my knee so much. I think the problem for me was the two platforms where your feet go were too wide apart for my frame, so my legs/knees were more apart than were comfortable.
  • talliekins
    talliekins Posts: 5
    Options
    I had the same problem. I went to the gym and got on the elliptical once day and went for about 15 minutes before my knees couldn't take it anymore. They were sore, stiff, and tight the whole week after. Needless to say, I haven't been on one since. I had heard the elliptical was supposed to be low impact and easy on knees, but clearly that was not the case for me. Now I get my cardio in through Zumba, and I'm having a lot more fun, no actual pain, just the temporary good soreness you feel after a good workout. :)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I found the eliiptical tried to foce my body into a stride and motion it didn't want to go into. Maybe you have a similar problem. If you want to try it again be consciensous of where you point your toes. I find this can make a world of difference at times.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    It kills my knees! But I do great up and down hills on the treadmill.

Do your feet turn out when you walk? I find that if I hold my feet straight, it draws my knee caps in. I guess I have crooked legs lol. I'm wondering if that's my problem.
  • Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Options
    I would stay away from treadmills, they tear up your knees. I would try different elliptical machines at the gym, I have only 1 that I can use at my gym because of my short stature (I'm 5'). I woud also try adjusting the crossramp to the lowest number at first and see how you do and build up from there. I also would suggest taking a good quality Glucosamine on a daily basis. Unlike most suppliments, this one has actually been studied scientifically and is great for those of us with joint pain!! Hope that helps!! :smile:
  • coachreyes
    coachreyes Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    What was the brand name of the elliptical? I find that the Precor is one of the best around. I tore my ACL two years ago and the elliptical was one of the first pieces of equipment I could use. Due to the instability of some treadmill belts I do not like to use them because of a possible "slip".

I joined a gym Dec. 1 2009 and started with the elliptical. I could barely go 20 minutes. I felt all kinds of pain. I don't believe the machine was the sole cause. My excess weight may have had more to do with it than anything. I would ice my knee afterwards. I have lost 60 pounds since and yesterday I did the elliptical for 60 minutes.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    It's a Precor. My friend has knee problems and it doesn't hurt her, but it kills me. I have no problem with the treadmill at all.
  • coachreyes
    coachreyes Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I did attend a few sessions of rehab and I used a recumbent bike.

Another thing to do is strengthen the hamstrings. Leg curls and deadlifts are some things to start out with.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You can make sure that the incline on the Precor machine is at the lowest possible incline setting. Sometimes when people get on that machine they don't realize that it starts at a mid-level incline and can be adjusted up and down. Better yet, if there is a Life Fitness cross trainer available, try that instead. The biomechanics of precor ellipticals are pretty poor, in my experience and opinion. It doesn't surprise me at all that it would aggravate a knee problem.

You also need to make sure that you are addressing whatever particular "problem" you might have.
  • RobinES10
    RobinES10 Posts: 4
    Options
    I've been having horrible knee pains (only in my right knee - my right leg is slightly shorter than my left...) after I do the elliptical about 30 minutes. I heard a while ago that raising your legs in the air post-workout will help relieve the pain. I do this when I can and so far it helps. The pain comes back the next time I'm on the machine, but it helps for the moment!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Try a rowing machine.
  • JO2012mom
    Options
    See if you can find a precor amt machine at the gym. It's the only machine I've found that has a variable stride length. I can almost guarantee that you will NOT have knee issues using it, because it allows each person to use his/her natural stride, not some pure-defined elliptical movement. And no, I don't work for precor, not do I sell their machines.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I've joined a gym this week and decided to work on the Elliptical because it's supposed to be lower impact and not cause knee problems like a treadmill does. I noticed the first time I got on it that my right knee seemed to pull with every downward motion. After using one 3 days this week, my knee is swollen and tight. Has anyone else had this problem?
    I think I'm going to stick to the treadmill from here on out, it doesn't cause this pulling sensation.

I have knee issues with the Elliptical and Cycling but not as much with the treadmill and running outside. Which does seem to be the opposite of most people and they think I am crazy. I am sorta happy to find someone else with this problem. It is the going around motion with the knee. Also going downstairs but not up can cause pain. Jogging outside causes less friction than the treadmill. You should look into running outside.
  • jtroeller
    jtroeller Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been researching knee injuries associated with elliptical machines as I just tweaked my knee yesterday. A lot of helpful information, and in my case I am sure it was a combination of over-doing the resistance and overuse.

Many practitioners recommend cross-training to spread the loads on the joints out and from a progress standpoint, cause muscle confusion (a good thing!).

Good luck to everyone, I am headed to the ortho to make sure all is well and to get back at is ASAP.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem with ellipticals. I find the motion very unnatural.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My left knee causes me problems on and off and while I've never had a major issue with the elliptical, I have noticed that certain settings can bother it. OP, if you want to try to continue using the elliptical, only use the manual setting and try playing with the resistance and incline settings to find the right one for you. For me, if it's too flat (low incline) or the resistance is a bit too high, my knee will start to tweak. Also as someone mentioned, try placing your feet differently - less straight, more straight, higher on the foot pad, lower on the foot pad, etc.

Biking is good for those with knee issues as is swimming. I also find the stairmill is surprisingly easy on my knees.