When your running shoes are wearing out...

Options
When your running shoes began to wear out do any of you find a discomfort in your knees or other parts of your body? I seem to start feeling it in my knees and sometimes in my lower back when my shoes need replaced.

Replies

• TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Yeah I feel it in my knees when my shoes get worn out. You can always take them by a sports footwear store and have them put a new insole in for you if you still have tread left on the bottom. Less expensive that way.
  • whitney_simpson
    whitney_simpson Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    yes to all of that
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Yes, my knees always start to hurt when its time.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When I start getting unusual aches and pains (other than those associated with old age and increased mileage) I know it's time to retire the shoes.
  • Vansy
    Vansy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My lower calves and shins notice it the most -- I get a lovely aching feeling in them when it's time for a new pair of running shoes.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yep... knees, hips, lower back.

Now that I think about it, I had some knee pain after my mountain bike ride the other day. Guess my bike is wearing out... time for a new one!!!
  • HideyoshiKinoshita
    HideyoshiKinoshita Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When your running shoes are wearing out.. that's how you know you're doing it right. :3
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    No. But then again I now run in almost exclusively minimalist shoes. Wearing out means they have a hole in them
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I always feel it in my knees, shins, and hips.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yes. And the best thing I have ever done in my life was getting custom-made orthotic inserts. My husband has a very mild case of scoliosis and finally had orthotics made. He says that his back pain has decreased significantly. I think my orthotics help my running shoes last a bit longer too.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yeah I feel it in my knees when my shoes get worn out. You can always take them by a sports footwear store and have them put a new insole in for you if you still have tread left on the bottom. Less expensive that way.

Uh, no. The tread on the bottom has very little to do with the pain in your knees. When shoes wear out it is the midsole that has gotten overly compressed and for the most part you can't see it, but you can feel it.

A lot of runners don't even use the insoles that come with the shoes, preferring either an orthotic (expensive) or something off the shelf like super feet or something similar. I have never worn orthotics, but I know many who have and presumably they find them worth the cost.

This is why it is critical to build a data base of the # of miles you have on all of your shoes. That way, over time you will learn whether you are one of those who is fortunate (and gets 400-500 miles per pair) or someone like myself who sweats excessively and considers himself fortunate to get north of 300. Learning this will tell you when it is time to retire those old shoes, but if your knees hurt you probably know the answer already, at least with respect to this pair.

And always alternate shoes. I rotate 3 pair in the summer, but the normal is 2. This gives them time to dry out completely, especially when you are doing back to backs.

Also, don't dry your shoes in a garage. Do it indoors. This helps extend their useful life.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I feel aches in my knees and ankles. My feet also feel tired. I am in need of new shoes, but I haven't found any "ethical" brands of true running shoes. If anyone knows of some, message me!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I feel it in my shins/ankles. Always. That is my signal to order a new pair.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    the inside padding of a traditional running shoe breaks down somewhere int he 3 months (if you use it for walking/partial running) or about 300 miles.

There will ALWAYS be tread left on the shoe- and the shoe will almost always look in decent condition.

INSIDES BREAK DOWN MUCH FASTER THAN THE OUTSIDE EVER WILL.

Before I switched to minimalist shoes- I could always tell- everything waist and lower would start to hurt. Now i just wear vibrums or new balance mimus and no more padding issues to worry about!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    When your running shoes began to wear out do any of you find a discomfort in your knees or other parts of your body? I seem to start feeling it in my knees and sometimes in my lower back when my shoes need replaced.

Not my knees, but my calves and shins.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I started feeling some pain in the bottom of my foot because all the rubber was completely gone from the sole in a few places.
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    I find that I have pain in my hips when my shoes need to be replaced. Sadly, I used to have really good shoes with which I had no problems, now my shoes give me blisters (I've tried three different brands).
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    yup sure do! my feet roll out, which causes my knees to go out of line, then my hips an back hurt. I replace them every 6 months whether they show signs of wear or not. I primarily run on a treadmill.
  • Camille0502
    Camille0502 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yes, I workout at home so my workout shoes stay clean and pristine. The only way I can tell that I need new shoes is that my left knee starts to hurt. Otherwise, they look brand new. It is kind of disheartening to have to replace shoes that look so new - but working out in pain is not a great idea, either!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I notice it in my feet and knees. Especially on longer runs. But I hate throwing a pair of nice looking shoes away, so I use them for everyday walking until they fall apart.