Stuggling Emotionally

Options
Having a bad day today and while I haven't eaten my way through the stress, I want to. Work and home life aren't ideal right now. The husband has been having a few bad days and I constantly feel like I'm walking on eggshells around him. My Dad is having health issues which is never good, and while I should be grateful for my job, I feel so unsatisfied and useless there. All I want to do is eat, just eat. There's nothing specific I'm craving so having a bite of something isn't going to quell the feeling. It's just something I have to get through and feel - not eat. I hate it. I hate feeling my feelings. I hate having to deal with my feelings rather than eat through them. I'm sorry to be so negative in this post. Just need to vent and right now I'm feeling like I can't verbally vent to anyone - so I write.

I truly hope everyone here is having a better day then me. I know I'll get through it, but don't want to turn to food to do it.

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are being brave to me.

relationships have their ups and downs. relationships with food!! become engrained. changeling what you used to do is very difficult.

wishing you all the best for maintaining the resolve for yourself, working towards your fitter healthier you.
  • Linds_Joy
    Options
    I can relate to everything in this post. I'm dealing with family health issues, my job hates me, I don't hate my job. I can't find my niche it seems like. The only thing I can tell you that keeps me going is to do just that. Keep going. It may not be the best advice but it's something I have to make myself do. There are some days I don't want to get out of bed, I don't want to deal with people and I don't want to even go outside. I battle depression everyday, may not be something you deal with but it makes life hard to handle sometimes. Anyway, you're not alone. Everyone is dealing with something everyday. I am a stress eater. I just try to find foods that will fill me up and keep me from chowing down all day long, because I can do that lol
    I hope this finds you well. Just keep your head up.
  • TabithaRose87
    TabithaRose87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I hope things turn around for you soon, I know how you feel. I am an emotional eater myself, It's an HOURLY struggle not to make bad decisions (eating wise) I am in quite the mess financially so it's hard to eat healthy when I can't afford much right now. Handling full time job, three kids under 5 and a husband and the mess that is my house. It's overwhelming. I literally take things one step at a time but it is hard battling these negative voices in my head of self loathing, anger and fear. BUT I've been resisting the things I usually cave in and eat by telling myself NO, you're not going to eat that because you will NOT feel good about it after. It will not make things better. While usually I end up bursting into tears, I have been making better choices and distracting myself after I eat instead of going for seconds.... I hope you feel better
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Nothing worse then fighting with the people you live with. I hope things start looking up soon!

Can you think of anything else to do that would be relaxing? Curl up with a good book, take a bath, go for a walk, just go be alone for a little while?
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. Keep your head up.
  • qweenovme
    qweenovme Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I hope your day gets better. I am sending good thoughts and positve energy your way. Try to focus on the good things in your life and try not to be too hard on yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • GothBunnyy
    Options
    I find making something feeds the same need as stress eating. I even keep a small hand craft in my handbag for "emergencies."
    Have you ever done origami? It can be quite relaxing and uses quite a bit of concentration so you don't think about a) what's stressing you b) food.

$0.02
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    You realized you would have just been eating your feelings and didn't do it. That is awesome.

Thanks for sharing and I hope it helped you work those feelings out. :flowerforyou:
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You only have to hold it together for today. Just focus on today. God bless you.
  • YvonneCT
    YvonneCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Good for you. You recognized your tendency and avoided it. Excellent! Hope things get better for your husband and dad soon.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Having a bad day today and while I haven't eaten my way through the stress, I want to. Work and home life aren't ideal right now. The husband has been having a few bad days and I constantly feel like I'm walking on eggshells around him. My Dad is having health issues which is never good, and while I should be grateful for my job, I feel so unsatisfied and useless there. All I want to do is eat, just eat. There's nothing specific I'm craving so having a bite of something isn't going to quell the feeling. It's just something I have to get through and feel - not eat. I hate it. I hate feeling my feelings. I hate having to deal with my feelings rather than eat through them. I'm sorry to be so negative in this post. Just need to vent and right now I'm feeling like I can't verbally vent to anyone - so I write.

I truly hope everyone here is having a better day then me. I know I'll get through it, but don't want to turn to food to do it.

channel all this frustration and stress into a kick *kitten* workout! When things are going the worst in my life, I take it to the gym. Cardio is a good for outlet for my aggression--and if I am STILL not feeling better, the battle ropes or the punching bag are awesome! One day my trainer had me punching, kicking and flipping the heavy bag for 40 minutes. I felt awesome and energized when I was done ( then was sore for 3 days...)
  • FrankLangers
    Options
    Venting on here is a way of dealing with it! Everyone told me exercise was just as effective as medication or counselling when dealing with stress and depression. It took me years to try it to realise that it works! Its the last thing you want to do when you're full up with social and work stresses, family problems or just the general grind of day to day life. When you're running on super mode you don't get much time for yourself so those few moments you do get you want something that will give you instant gratification, which food does, especially unhealthy food!
    Its a hard cycle to break but when you're stretching yourself, having to put all these stress fires out make sure you give yourself time just for you. Even if its just a minute to think. But then when you're eating healthy know that you're doing that for yourself, that you're doing something good for yourself and get some gratification from that. And find sport/ exercise that you enjoy and a comfortable pace if your not really feeling up for it that day (sometimes after 10 mins I find I am up for more!) And then push yourself to do something harder. But be pleased with what you do achieve and know its something really good thats made a step towards a healthy positive future for yourself.
    And don't beat yourself up if you do emotionally eat, its your bodies way of coping with the stress you're under everyone has something smoking, drugs, glass of wine, running, shopping etc. Some ways of coping are/ can become unhealthy. It doesn't make you bad or mean you will fail in the future, just remind yourself you're doing well, this is what I needed at this time to cope with. ...., I can do this... (e.g go for a walk, eat some fruit etc) which will be a healthier way of coping.