Anyone whose lost 100+ pounds out there? Advice?

Options
Hi guys,

I'm currently 338 pounds and have a long way to go. After joining here I briefly went up to 346 pounds but I've managed to lose 8 and am happy that I've come back down. I'm trying to focus on short term goals of a few pounds at a time but I've been thinking about the long term. There's so much conflicting advice out there and I just wondered if you could share some of what worked for you with me?

Mfp gives me over 2000 Cal's a day to strive for. My TDEE -20% is not too far off this same figure. However I've read that very obese people like myself can get away with a lot less, and indeed I've been quoted by doctors in the past that 1500 a day is the way to go. Currently I'm coming in between 1700 and 1900 depending on my erratic work rota. I feel I could quite easily and happily eat the full 2000+ (I didn't get this big by being shy of food!) In a healthful way but I could also shave off bits here and there to get to the 1500. What was most helpful for you? I don't wish to compromise myself by eating too much or too little and I'm aware that losing these 8 pounds could be the initial quick loss that many experience.

Being g this big I have some pain issues with exercise. I know I need to do more but I don't want to push myself too hard and land an injury which I've done on past, unsuccesful attempts. How did you incorporate more into your regime and how did you progress?

Finally I'm following a meal plan which since I've been sticking to it seems to be working a treat, however its very high in carbs. Did anyone here follow anything specifically low Carb? Since its working so well so far I wouldn't normally have issue, however I have PCOS and possible insulin resistance that goes with it and I was wondering if it might be beneficial to cut back on the carbs a little. I would say that my diet consist of about 80% whole unprocessed food, the processed part comes from my breakfast cereal and the odd treat I allow myself, plus condiments I buy ready made such as Tabasco sauce etc for my meals which I guess don't really add that much but I'm aware of added sugars and salt here.

And just because the thought is so appealing, go on, give me a lashing down if you must but what are your thoughts on cheat days?

Thanks for any and all answers to my questions. Any further advice would be very well received!

Xxx

Replies

• wvtrap
    wvtrap Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to weigh all of your food, log everything and take it one day at a time. I occasionally take cheat days but I didn't until I made sure I was positioned well enough with what I was doing that it wouldn't derail me. That was probably 4 months and about 75lbs down.
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi I started at 380 pounds and have lost 180 pounds and also have PCOS (but am not insulin resistant). What I did was....to eat 1800 calories, I calorie cycled (so my cals worked out to a average of 1800 cals over the week but I ate different amounts on different days), I tried to have my dinner meal grain free each day...not because i was eating low carb (i wasnt and didnt that doesnt work for me) but it kept my carbs moderate. Exercise I predominantly did cardio but did do 1-2 resistance sessions per week.

I didnt do cheat days....occassionally I did go over but they were never planned.

Best of luck :)
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost 100+ lbs yet. I am looking to lose around 90 lbs.I'm also a lot older than you, so things are different for me.

my thoughts/what works for me:
    1. just start. It's very easy to get side tracked and start thinking and overthinking what you should/shouldn't do. bottom line is that you have a long way to go, and the sooner the start the better off you will be. You will make adjustments along the way. I started with the numbers that MFP gave me, and after i lost a bit and then got stuck i changed both the calories and my exercise and it's going better now. will it stay this way forever? probably not. but i keep an eye on myself and take it one day at a time.

2. log log log. be honest with yourself. weigh everything.

3. eating more or less - as i said above, both work, but you need to keep an eye on yourself. if you find you are starving (and really starving, not "i want to eat") and lightheaded you probably need more food.

4. a calorie is a calorie - but also important to make the most of what you eat. so strive for lean proteins add veggies to round out your meals.

5. try to cut BACK on carbs, not OUT. i find that FOR ME, when i have 1-2 carbless meals (e.g., no added carbs in the form of pasta, bread, rice, couscous etc), i lose more efficiently and lose that "blubber" bloated look.

6. I don't do specific cheat days. it isn't something i want or need. on weekends i tend to be a bit more lax but even that is going to end because I don't like feeling too full and i don't like the slight flucuations i see on the scale every sunday. to me - it isn't worth it. if it is something you find that will work for you - then go for it. other wise, if i really really really want a 'treat' - i just have it. either it works in with my calories for that day or it doesn't. but those times are few and far between.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and am indeed insulin resistant. I can't take Metformin, so restricting carbohydrate intake has been pretty important for me. I also have some food intolerances/allergies (gluten and most dairy). Because of the blood sugar issues and my food sensitivities, I've been eating a low carb paleo diet. It's been great for me.

I started out eating around 2000-2200 calories and have slowly lowered from there as I've lost, but by not a whole lot. I still lose on anywhere from 1600-1800, depending on what I'm up to that week. I think it's unwise to start out at a lower number if there isn't any need to. If you're losing just fine while taking in more calories, do that! You also have to consider "pacing" yourself if you've got a lot to lose, so you don't want to start out at a calorie goal that is really low. 1500 seems awfully low to open with if you've got a long way to go, because when you hit the inevitable plateau, most people start to cut calories. It just makes sense to start with the biggest number you can comfortably eat and still lose on.

I don't do regularly scheduled "cheat days", but if it's a birthday or some other special day, I definitely indulge. I think if having regularly scheduled cheat days works well for a person, then by all means--have those days.

I train with kettlebells and lift weights. I walk everywhere. I started out morbidly obese and was just walking at first. As I lost a bit of weight and was feeling a bit better, and more in control of my new way of eating, I added kettlebell. A few more months passed, and I joined a gym and started lifting weights. When I started, I was going out for walks 3-4 days a week. Now I lift weights 4x/per week and train with kettlebells twice weekly. I walk daily.

As I've lost fat and continued to exercise, my hormones have become much more balanced. That includes insulin. I can eat a bit more in the way of carbs than I could a year ago. Still can't really have a bunch of carbs like people who don't have metabolic dysfunction, but I can have up to three times what I could a year ago. Other PCOS symptoms have really settled down/vanished at this point as well, which is great.
  • Nyumi
    Nyumi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your advice so far. I think one of the big things I should start doing is honestly and strictly logging everything Ieat. I also should probably get out and walk more.

For those who started out walking, how long did you start of for, and how long to you do now?

Thanks again!
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Upper body arm ergometer and desk cycle exercise to lose weight mindlessly and it doesnt cause injury like other exercises. Actually arm ergometer (arm cycling) is the best way to go. I find myself losing weight without cutting too much on my calorieswhen I started arm ergometer where u just sit and pedal your arms. Hope it works for you too.
  • cassiewoo22
    cassiewoo22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was 371 lbs when I started working out and eating better. I've lost about 30lbs in 3 months. What I do is I work out 4 to 5 times a week, during the week. I am allowed according to mfp 1900 calories before my workout. I usually eat all 1900 and try not to eat my workout calories back. On the weekends I don't count calories and I don't work out and I will "cheat" in a way. Like I will drink alcohol, or maybe a burrito from Taco Bell. I still try to stay away from fried foods and I don't drink any soda at all, just water and wine! This seems to be working for me. I also eat like all day, small things, but I keep tons of food in my desk at work. Hope this helps!!
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 116 lbs so far and have god knows how much more to lose (I don't have an ultimate goal weight, just a ballpark where I look good and feel awesome)

I have interim targets to keep it feeling like I am getting somewhere, it would be very easy to look at the end point and think my god, it will take too long, be too hard, it will never happen etc etc etc.

Take pictures of yourself now if you haven't already (naked), it will be a good tool to see where you have come from and hopefully prevent you going back there once you have lost the weight (This will be the 3rd major weight loss i have undertaken...never EVER again). Video workouts, cooking, activities, whatever you can that is a part of the journey, it will help with the above and also keep you focused onto providing subject matter for your videos...every little helps right!

I can't stress enough the importance of weighing food, getting used to portion sizes, logging everything that passes your lips and just taking some time to become familiar with food in a different way to how you think of your familiarity with food.

Also log all of your exercise, it will help with all manner of things, least of all just charting in a tangible way how you are progressing. When I first started i couldn't walk through the house without resting, I bought a rowing machine but didn't use it because I couldn't row more than 2 minutes so felt it was pointless doing anything...stupid right. Anyway, I did walk as much as i could but at first with lots of stops to rest and catch my breath, pretty soon, if you can do that every day, by week 2 you can either walk further overall, or walk the same distance with less stops etc...whatever exercise you choose and whatever level you are at, the principle remains the same.

I am lucky...kind of, in that I have been diagnosed with diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure etc etc, so I bought a home blood pressure monitor, a withings scale, I video my walks and workouts and new foods I am exploring as I cook and use them etc I can't reliably use the withings scale yet, but other family members can but i log my food intake, my exercise (on runkeeper but it transfers to mfp automatically) my weight, my resting heart rate, my blood pressure and my blood glucose levels.

Blood glucose levels are as essentially firmly within the normal range (from a diagnosis level of 24.8mmol), weight is coming down, resting heart rate is actually pretty good to start with so thats ok, cholesterol is dropping, blood pressure is dropping with my first healthy diastolic and systolic reading only this week and my walking speeds and distances, similarly with rowing is improving all the time.

The reason I mention my personal situation is that without the daily logging and tracking i wouldn't have as close or indeed a controlled a handle on what i am doing and how those changes are helping my health and fitness...looking at your figures for the previous week or month in a graph...quick and easy to see a trend, is awesome, absolutely awesome and that feeling alone helps keep you going just so the trend continues for next week...etc etc

Food wise, because of my diabetes and why I say I am lucky to have it, is that it forced me to not do things half hearted, so I eat clean now, nothing manufactured, nothing processed, nothing refined and lots of water. I have my calories set at 1500 per day, however, I don't massively stress about this as I change it up depending upon how I feel and what exercise and energy I have. I am not using tdee, but i am using bmr to get a maintenance for my weight and activity, and then just cut it back a lot because of my size.

This will be reappraised and changed once I hit my next interim target as I will then be at the stage where i should slow the loss down...You are different, and do not weigh anything like i do so I wouldn't advise you follow this, but do try to accurately figure out where your maintenance cals are sitting and then hit a deficit from there however you are doing it...to be fair though, you sound to have all that covered already.

Diabetes or not, eat the rainbow, as many varied foods as possible from what nature has provided (not the food corps) and you will be half way there already. The weight loss is won in the kitchen, not the gym, something else to remember. That doesn't mean exercising doesn't help, i am just trying to say you can't eat crap and expect an hour in the gym to make up your health targets...doesn't work like that.

For walking i started out doing who knows, maybe 5 minutes and for 0.1 mile (not joking) The longest one tracked so far is 2.7 miles uphill in about 1.5 hrs... with stops and rests though but obviously, improvements are noticeable.

Can't emphasis enough though, go for a walk, and before you actually start walking turn on your phone gps and use whatever app you want to record it...my tracks, runkeeper etc do that for a week and i bet you by the 7th day you can walk further and with less rest needed...it will be hard, but that's the nature of the beast.
  • ParrosFan
    ParrosFan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I dont think this has been mentioned yet, but along with taking progress pics, take your starting measurement and do them monthly (or whenever). When the scale stops moving for a bit, it will help to see changes in the inches you have lost.

These are the measurements I take:
    neck
    upper arm
    chest
    waist
    butt
    thigh
    calf

Best wishes to you
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    For those who started out walking, how long did you start of for, and how long to you do now?
    I started out with walking around the block (about 1/4 mile). Over a few months I increased the distance to a half mile, a mile, etc. Eventually I ended up walking about 3 miles in the morning for 6 days a week. It helped with getting active again after years of a sedentary lifestyle. I've since switched over to resistance training and now walk about a mile and a half on my rest days.

The keys to my weight loss were: self discipline and patience.
  • roxanethree
    roxanethree Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Take pictures, measurements, and save one article of clothing that is your favourite (toss/donate things as soon as you grow out of them).

I started a really slow walk around the block which was enough for me to break a sweat. Slowly I started to pick up speed as the months passed, and when I hit 200 lbs I started a couch-5k program.

As far as food I just try to eat healthier by adding more vegetables & fruit (a struggle for me) and whole grains. I eat knowing that this is the way I'd be happy to eat for the rest of my life.

Keep going. Everyday has a new battle or obstacle to make it through, but you can do it! :)
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I started out heavier than you and can probably afford to lose another 100. When I started out it hurt like crazy to move, at all. Even the simple act of walking was rough. It even hurt to stand still, so I started swimming. It's super-easy on the joints and a great full-body workout. My upper arms look better than they ever have in my life, even at much smaller sizes. :)

Things I did right:
    - Measured and logged food. Be honest with yourself. It's not always fun to acknowledge, but you'll be glad you did.
    - I didn't give up. Sure I slipped from time to time, I'm human. But I committed to making my life better, and it truly is.
    - Set and celebrated small realistic goals in addition to the big milestones.
    - I paid attention to my patterns---when I was overeating or eating crap and why, when I felt best and why.
    - I started small---thinking more about what I was eating, paying attention to portions, increasing fruits and veggies, swimming 3 x/ week for 45 minutes. Then I started logging, weighing, and moving even more. Right now I swim an hour 3 x a week, workout with a trainer an hour a week, AND I am just begining training for a sprint triathlon in 268 days.
    - I have awesome MFP friends and friends, family, and colleagues supporting me.

Things I wish I had done:
    - Started sooner ;).
    - Measured myself, not just in terms of the scale, but in terms of wasit, hips, arms, thighs, calves,
    - Taken full-body progress pics from the begining.

Honestly the biggest key to me is determination.