Cooked Pasta Calories Help?!

Options
So I had a rather large serving of penne pasta for lunch and I'm not really sure how many calories that would turn out to be. I forgot to measure the pasta dry, but when I cooked it it was 8.6 oz. On the box, 2 oz of dry pasta equals 200 calories, but i've read that 2 oz dry equals a cup of cooked pasta; however, when I converted 8.6 oz to cups it came out to be about 1.075 cups. So I'm rather confused on how to determine how many calories the cooked pasta is? I'm not sure if my explanation makes sense, but if anyone can help me out that'd be awesome :smile:

Replies

• CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    weigh it dry, then you're good to go. you're just going to be estimating / getting wrong amounts if you do it the other way around. it's almost like changing the oil on a car while it's still running.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Search the database for "Penne pasta cooked," it's there.
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Ok she already sais she forgot.....100 grams of cooked penne say 156cals on my packet. 8.6oz is 253 grams so cals would be around 390 :grumble:
  • mazzasweet
    mazzasweet Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I've read that 8 ounces of uncooked spaghetti will yield 4 cups of cooked pasta. So, a serving of 2 oz. uncooked spaghetti will be the equivalent of 1 cup of cooked spaghetti.
    But I think it depends on type of pasta. Sometimes smaller noodles are 2 oz = 3/4 cup. Don't sweat it - just guestimate for today that 2 oz is around 1 cup.
    Hope that helps ;-)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Was it a new box? If so weigh the remaining pasta and you will know what you made.
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    I think you'd divide the cooked weight by 3. Raw pasta triples in weight after cooking...I think!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I think you'd divide the cooked weight by 3. Raw pasta triples in weight after cooking...I think!

Depends how long you cook it for though. El dante will weigh less than mushy, due to the amount of water.
  • Bigjuicyhog
    Bigjuicyhog Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I read that two ounces uncooked is equal to five ounces cooked.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Was it a new box? If so weigh the remaining pasta and you will know what you made.
    Cooked weight changes with how long the pasta is cooked. Dry weight is more reliable.
  • NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Cooked weight changes with how long the pasta is cooked. Dry weight is more reliable.

I think he meant for her to weigh the remaining pasta in the package. So if it was a 500g package and she has 300g left, she will know she cooked 200g dry pasta. This is what I would do if I forgot, but it is never 100% accurate. I usually find that it is a bit more in the package than what the package says.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    For quick and dirty, divide the cooked, drained weight by 3 to estimate the dry weight equivalent. For more accurate, divide by 2.7. This is for cooked to between al dente and soggy. I would use 2.5 for al dente and 3.0 if you like yours soggy.