Quick easy lunches--HELP!

Options
So I just started today (yay me!) and I have been counting my calories using the iPhone app. Well silly me didn't realize how bad my ravioli was until today! So I'm needing suggestions for a quick and easy (but healthy) lunch. I only have 30 minutes for lunch so I'm short on time. Any suggestions? I've looked through the threads but can't find too much. Help!

Replies

• DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Progresso Light/Campbell's Select Harvest Light soups
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I make lunch at home and bring it to work every day, so I prefer to eat things that aren't too messy/difficult. I've found that fresh veggies, along with a protein of some kind and beans are great for lunch, and there are many different things you can do with it. Sometimes I eat it as a salad with it all mixed together, other days I leave out the beans and make a wrap out of the veggies and protein. Other days I'll eat the protein as the main dish with the veggies and bean on the side. Most my lunches are 275-350 calories. Feel free to look at my diary - it's public.

A tip - veggies are easy to cut up and portion out ahead of time, and I try to prepare my protein for the week on Sunday nights, and also pre-portion those. Makes it easy to throw lunches together in the morning without much fuss.
  • Squash97
    Options
    One great way to get food ideas is to look at other people's diaries, I do that a lot to get food ideas. Also, it would help to know if it's possible for you to pack a lunch, such as a sandwich, etc. and if there is a fridge to put it in until lunch time. I have a salad or turkey wrap just about every day. It is under 300 calories and I get a lot of protien. Add in some light and fit yogurt, fresh fruit, or even fat free pringles (my new fav. salty snack - but it has MSG in it apparently) for 14 chips which is only 70 cal. Also, some of the frozen lean cuisine meals aren't bad calorie wise, but you are talking a lot of salt and I always prefer to eat fresh food if I can. Good luck finding something that works for you!
  • Beebee78
    Options
    I cook up a bunch of chicken breast for the 5 days I am at work then before I got to bed I make up a salad and put the two together and take it in xxx
  • size4shoe
    Options
    Hi Cpiette. Have you scrolled through any of my food lists? I consistently eat under 1,200 per day and feel great!! The lunches I have take about 5-10 mins to prepare, as I have only 30 mins for lunch as well. If you can't see my food logs, please let me know. Lately, I have been eating beet and collard greens. Tastes great with nuts, raisins, or lemon. I bought a microwave steamer for quick steamed veggies at work.
  • Avalon203
    Options
    I like making a wrap at home and taking it in with me, a light tortilla wrap filled with either chicken breast and a bit of BBQ or sweet chilli sauce, or wafer thin ham with extra light soft cheese and then lots of green salad with it!
  • Deebo958
    Options
    I don't know if you have access to a microwave and fridge etc, but I take a frozen healthy entree and a yogurt for dessert. I also eat alot of soup. Like Dan said above, I love the Progresso Light- extra fiber soups as well as Campbells Select Harvest ones. I also like the flavored Triscuits (about 6 - 7) and put a slice of the mini round canadian bacons on each one and then sprinkle a teeny tiny amount of shredded cheese on top, pop them in the MW and let the cheese melt. For some reason when I eat the cracked pepper / olive oil Triscuits I don't eat as many as they are pretty spicy and very filling for me, plus the crunch I think I need. Good luck!
  • MPH2
    MPH2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Naan bread, hummus, black olives, and mixed baby greens makes a nice little roll-up and serve with some fresh fruit. A simple garden soup with leeks, carrots and potatos can be made ahead of time, and portioned out in lunch containers, serve with some crusty whole grain bread.
  • MaryAnne1
    MaryAnne1 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I really love the heinz/weight watchers soups. Most of them are under 100 calories and taste just like the normal heinz ones! I can't tell the difference between the heinz cream of tomato/cream of chicken and the weight watchers tomato/chicken ones. and the chicken noodle soup only has 50 calories and is really tasty!
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    yogurt with lowfat granola and berries in it, or , hummus wraps I take a light flour tortilla spread some hummus on it and add sliced up red bell pepper, peppercinis, lettuce, tomatoes , red onion and fresh basil leaves, YUM. sometimes I eat lean cuisines or soups, or a quinoa salad I add garbanzo beans, cilantro, lemon juice and tomatoes. I hope this helps
  • sundinsgurl
    sundinsgurl Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I also enjoy eating flavored triscuits - mmmm Black pepper and olive oil are my fav too!
    I enjoy wraps as well - some turkey and a little bit of cheese
    Lots of fruit, and yogurt
  • mrocka
    mrocka Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    the key is to prepare the night before frozen or fresh veggies are great!
    baked fish, chicken, or tuna is a good idea
    turkey sandwichs, yogurt, fresh fruit, baked chips all make great lunch's

or at least those are some of the ideas i have been trying to eat i really want to expand my
    knowledge for healthy cooking so if i come across anymore good idea's i'll let you know
    good luck to you!!
  • slansdown
    Options
    Tupperware is your new best friend. My favorite -- and fastest is to make enough dinner for an extra serving and throw it in a tupperware while you are serving your dinner plate. Today I am eating leftover pasta and tomato sauce with extra zucchini and a bit of italian sausage, with cut up celery on the side.They also make bowls of instant noodles (I like the rice noodle soups). Out of all the fruits, apples are the best, since they don't need any prep work and travel really easily. Salad is another great choice. Spring mixes require no work just throw in a couple frozen shrimp (they defrost by lunch), or a can of tuna. Dressing tends to make the whole thing watery, so try to get one of those tiny containers for dressing and dips. if you like dry foods better -- and you don't have a microwave, try crackers and cheese, sandwiches, chips and dip, veggie platters, hummus, trail mix (the drier the foods, generally higher the calories). Good luck.
  • pressica
    Options
    There are some great easy ideas on here. I love to include things like fresh veggies, fruits, nuts, and some kind of protein. It can be really easy to make a sandwich with a half of a pita, meat, feta cheese, and veggies like peppers etc. I also like to cook enough rice to heat up with beans.
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    I work at Taco Bell and I get my lunch free up to 5.00.

This is what I do, because I am recently turned vegan.

I order Pintos and Cheese, Tell them "Minus the 3 cheese blend, add tomatoes, Cilantro/Onions and Guacamole."
    I also order a side order of rice and a side of lettuce in a bowl.

BMW6Series
  • Cpiette
    Options
    I love soups and since it'll be getting cold shortly, I'm sure those will end up in my lunch box somewhere! I also like the Triscuts idea :) I actually brought a few today to eat w/my Laughing Cow cheese (guilty addiction!) Thanks guys!
  • clipsychic
    Options
    great tips!