HRM Question

Options
Psyb3r
Psyb3r Posts: 176 Member
I have tried using the TDEE - 20% method, and I've tried using MFP calculator to find my TDEE. The problem is that I work at a desk M-F 8-5 and don't move around all that much. However, on the weekends and at night (most nights) I'm pretty active. I'm out walking, doing something other than sitting down. I've been stalling for the last year and can't seem to find the right amount of calories to get me past these last 4% BF that I need to lose.
If I were to wear my HRM for 24 hours straight, would that give me a more accurate TDEE than just using one of the calculators? And then, should I compare it to wearing it 24 hours straight on the weekend? Or should I just eat the same TDEE for all days even though I'm more active on the weekends?

Replies

• kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    HRMs are only really accurate for steady state aerobic exercise and you won't get an accurate reading. My best suggestions are either

1. Get a FitBit or similar device and wear it all the time to figure out how many calories you burn. (I have a Zip and it's awesome...syncs right with MFP!)
    2. Go to a local gym or doctor and have your metabolism tested. That'll give you a much more concrete idea of your actual BMR and you can work from there.

Good luck breaking the plateau :)
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,461 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM question too. I have the New Balance Life Trainer HRM watch. You put in all of your data (age, birth date, weight etc) it does the rest, steps, mileage, calories burned etc. I have noticed that it can't count mileage to save it's life, and I can't believe the steps total as it can't count mileage. I disregard all of that but the heart rate. There is a setting for workout, which I use. The only drawback is while I am walking or biking, I have to press the button to test my heart rate frequently. Am I getting a reasonably accurate calorie burn count or do I need a different HRT? I spent 69 dollars for this thing.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM question too. I have the New Balance Life Trainer HRM watch. You put in all of your data (age, birth date, weight etc) it does the rest, steps, mileage, calories burned etc. I have noticed that it can't count mileage to save it's life, and I can't believe the steps total as it can't count mileage. I disregard all of that but the heart rate. There is a setting for workout, which I use. The only drawback is while I am walking or biking, I have to press the button to test my heart rate frequently. Am I getting a reasonably accurate calorie burn count or do I need a different HRT? I spent 69 dollars for this thing.

Those type of monitors are not very good for anything but getting a heart rate right at that moment. it can guestemate what you are burning but thats it The strap monitors allow for the sample rate to be much higher and can get a near constant reading which is much more accurate.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options

Those type of monitors are not very good for anything but getting a heart rate right at that moment. it can guestemate what you are burning but thats it The strap monitors allow for the sample rate to be much higher and can get a near constant reading which is much more accurate.

more precise at least. if a heart rate monitor isn't calibrated for the individual (as in, more than just body weight and age...) then none are accurate.
  • anaconda469
    Options
    Can anyone suggest a HRM with the strap that won't break the bank? I have a heart condition and my Dr says not to let my heart rate go above 120 until we know exactly what we are dealing with, so I need to really watch out. This stupid condition showed up now that I have 9 lbs to go :sad: The one I have is all over the map! Thanks everyone for any suggestions :smile: :bigsmile: :smile: :bigsmile: :smile: :bigsmile:
  • anaconda469
    Options

I just ordered this one that you recommended. I can hardly wait for it to get here. I ride my bike everyday, and want to get a more accurate reading of my heart rate (it's a doctor thing). Thanks for the assist.
  • anaconda469
    Options
    I got my new Polar FT4 today. I get the big test my new toy thing!
  • anaconda469
    Options

Thank you for turning me on to this. I used for the first time today, now the calories and date on my new FT4 I can believe. Thanks again!