Carbs? Fat? Protein!?

Options
Don't worry I don't want to ask how much I should be eating. I have my macros set and I like where they are. I just really want to know , if those on maintenance, tend to watch over a macro?

Carbs and fat are a favorite to watch obviously.

Do you watch carbs? Proteins or fats? Or do you just watch your calorie goal since it's a calorie in calorie out type deal?

Just playfully wondering.

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I make sure to hit my minimums for fat and protein, then I just let the remaining calories dictate what I eat for the rest of the day.
  • ELEANOR43da
    ELEANOR43da Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I definitely follow my fat ,protein, carbs,sodium and sugar intake .....Always keep a weekly eye on my vitamin A as I never realized before it is fat soluable.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I watch carbs- too many make me really bloated and uncomfortable. .
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I watch all my macros, and micros too. I don't want my training to suffer, and I want to be healthy and live as long as possible :) Nutrition is important.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I make sure to hit my minimums for fat and protein, then I just let the remaining calories dictate what I eat for the rest of the day.

^^This. Hitting maintenance calories means your weight won't change, but your macros dictate body composition. It's very possible to exchange fat for muscle if you're not getting enough protein, so definitely watch your protein minimum. Also watch your fat minimum because dietary fat is important for hormone production, nutrient absorption, and organ and brain function. The rest of your calories can be filled with any combination of protein, fat, and carbs that you'd like, it can be all carbs if you want which is what most people do.
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    I watch mine to keep my comp good.
    If I stay in my calories but eat more fats than anything I'll get pudgy not tones
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am great with protein. I'm a protein junkie. And my fats are pretty good , just not a lot of variety and I am withing 20-30% everyday on that. I just seem to be lowerish on calories because of carbs though. Or I hit maintenance and I am waaaaaaaay over on protein.

Haha my issue is balance. I have my macros at 35c / 35p / 30f :p but it's more like, 29 c / 46p / 25f but is seems like I gain on that where I lost on high carb. So I need to find a balance here o.O apparently. Lol.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I very loosely watch mine-I usually go over on carbs, under on fat and then I hit or go above protein (which I have set at a modest level, what the CDC recommends for my age). Sugar I don't track because I eat a lot of fruit, but I do track Iron because I recently started eating a vegan diet and want to keep tabs on that. And my fiber is higher than 'normal, but in line with the way I eat :)

Calories are actually the one that is giving me grief lately. I'm eating a bit below maintenance on average (factored after exercise calories have been added), by 200-300ish calories a day. This, for some reason, has caused weight loss to start back up, of up to 1.5lbs a week, which doesn't even make sense mathematically :huh: So either I'm burning way more calories than I think I am, or eating a whole foods, plant based diet is like some super secret magical weight loss plan lol. I know my tracking is pretty accurate-if anything I underestimate a bit? If I lose anymore next week I'm going to have to really evaluate my calorie intake, since my bmi is now 19.7 and I really don't want to get much lower.
  • AlteredSkates
    AlteredSkates Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    According to my weight and body fat percentage I need to hit 25% protein and 30% fat So I try to hit these minimum.
  • splashblob
    splashblob Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I try to hot my macro goal for protein and fat daily. I watch my sodium intake because it's easily to gain weight from sodium here in Asia. Lately I also tries to lower my carb intake too because just like sodium it cause me gain weight back easily and it takes a few days for it to get back to normal.

I have a question though, what I don't get is when people says let the carb ratio fall in its place, do we have to eat the rest of the carb daily/or average it weekly to hit my carb target? I set my protein and fat target per lb of lbm and body weight and estimate that my carb intake daily is 50%, but I am not sure if 50% carb is too high or not-I tried going carb heavy for a week and my body weight went up quickly.
  • shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Fat and protein are both minimum goals and carbs are preferential. I use roughly 1g pro per lb of LBM and 0.3g fat per lb of bodyweight... again both as minimum goals.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'm in the protein and fat crowd. I'm set to 30/35/35 carbs/fat/protein. Been working for 5 months and 3% BF reduction.
  • NebrGuy1969
    NebrGuy1969 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I watch all three. 45% carbs, 25% fat and 30% protein. I rarely hit my daily calorie goal, usually well under. I know how many grams of protein I need as a minimum per my trainer and balance the others out accordingly.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I mostly watch protein. I aim to eat a minimum of 100 grams per day. I also try to get at least 45 g fat per day. Carbs are the rest and they usually end up around 200-300.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I mostly watch protein. I aim to eat a minimum of 100 grams per day. I also try to get at least 45 g fat per day. Carbs are the rest and they usually end up around 200-300.

You eat that high cabs on maintenance!?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Ditto.