Umm,

Options
I'm not sure, if this is a nutrition or a work out issue, so I'm going to post it in both. I think its at least weird, but maybe its one of those normal things people just don't talk about.

I have iron deficiency anemia and was pre-diabetic as a teenager, but no longer have any symptoms of that. When I eat a lot of protein in attempts to get the iron I need and not overdo carbs, I smell really bad when I work out. I mean really bad, and my sweat has a sour smell to it. Its bad enough that I'll hit the showers after 30 to 45 minutes because I can't stand my own smell. As a teenager and in my early 20's I could work out for hours, and I didn't have this problem. I mean sweat, but it was normal sweat, not "Oh my God, what died in here? sweat.

I really don't want to waste money going to the doctor with something so trivial unless its a sign of something being genuinely wrong. Has anyone else experinced this, heard of something like it?

Do I just need to eat more carbs and invest in iron tablets instead of trying to eat the iron I need?

Replies

• charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    OMG ! This exact thing happened to me when started an extremely low carb diet. Maybe try upping your carbs a bit and taking supplement instead. I still haven't got the sweating thing under control but its not stinky anymore. Maybe someone else can clarify but I find if I eat a lot of red meat and work out - i'm disgustingly stinky. The meat sweats?
  • LuckySue333
    Options
    Not sure why sweat smells... But I have heard people who eat a lot of garlic are garlic tablets the smell comes out though the skin...
    Maybe you are getting to much iron and that could be comign out though your skin. Have you been checked lately to see if your iron is ok? If it is maybe you can cut down on the iron things you are eating if that is the problem... Google it on computer and see if it has any write ups on it....
  • zeranity
    Options
    My fiance has this problem too. Its from eating to much protein *I think*. The more protein he has than his body needs compared to his height/weight requirements he starts to smell really bad if he sweats! I read once somewhere that if you eat to much protein and the body doesn't process it it will break it down into a carb and one of the byproducts is ammonia which is released through sweat and urine. It can get really bad :) Ive also had luck with him eating some fruit and it helps immensely with the keeping the order at bay.
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    I have done Low-carb dieting before. I remember one time when I was on Low-carb where I was working outside and sweating and the sweat was attracting so many flies. Other people were working, and they were't getting the flies like I was. Ick!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    So here's what I've found on google, for anyone who has the same problem.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm

It is too much protein and probably not being hydrated enough. Looks like more (unrefined) carbs for me!