Starvation mode !

Options

Replies

• Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Move lots more, join a netball team or roller blade, your choice just move more and then eat fresh vegetables + buy raw chicken , steak, veal, lamb, pork, fish, prawns , crabs. Cook it yourself, use a minimum amount of oil, preferably spray to cook anything with and your good to go! Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My height is 169 cm which is 5.7 weight : 75 kg which is 165.3 lbs and I exercise 3 times a week

Goal weight : 63-60 kg - 136.6 lbs

AMG how do you even function...I am your height and 10lbs heavier then you and exercise 4-5 x a wek and I eat double what you do and any less and I can't workout....btw am loosing weight and inches as well....
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Before this turns into one of those idiotic starvation mode threads, try following these steps:

1) Get checked out by a doctor if you have any concerns about your health. This should be you #1 priority right now.

2) Set your calories to about 1550 (I would slowly work back up to that since you've been eating so low). <b>The #1 rule with counting calories is to be as accurate and honest as possible.<b> Use a food scale if you can. The little "cheats" here and there can add up. Also, read the "In Place of Road Map" thread in the stickies for more details. Adjust calories accordingly.

3) Set your macros based on your goals. I suggest staring with 50% Carbs, 30% Fats, 20% Protein. If you work out a lot you should increase protein.

4) Do you work out? If not, find something you will stick to and enjoy. A lot of MFPers will tell you to lift, which I agree. However, the best work out is the one you will stay committed to. You will need to adjust your calories and protein based on your activity level. See step 2.

Remember, persistence is the key. Don't give up!
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I think I'd gain if I ate 1,200 a day. I was wondering if it's different for different people? :S
    I used to eat 200 a day, that was bad cos it lead to binging!
    200 a day is a tablespoon of peanut butter...I don't think that you would survive on that for very long...
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    What did you eat to gain weight? Eat at least 1200. If you think you were gaining on 1200 you either were not logging correctly or have a medical condition.
  • mom5284
    mom5284 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Whoa 800 is nothing!!
  • justanotherloser007
    justanotherloser007 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I find it difficult to get the calories I need because of two reasons: salt, sugar. I just ate 200g of grapes for breakfast. That is my sugar for the day. Okay, well I will eat 1/3 lb of turkey breast. That is my salt intake for the day. I have like 1,000 calories left and no salt or sugar. Now what?? I just don't know. I usually at least bust one or the other. Never a problem with fats, carbs or calories unless it is that I don't really get any. I can see how it is hard to get the calories because of this, and my Mom and I used to play "starvation diet" (thanks Mom for teaching me how to get really fat!) when I was a teen. My thyroid has been messed up since I was 21, and I am 40 now. I have been overweight since it went out of whack. Which is why I went to this site to see where I have been messing up in my diet. So now I see what has happened to me, and have no idea what to do about it.
  • megan020103
    Options
    I find it difficult to get the calories I need because of two reasons: salt, sugar. I just ate 200g of grapes for breakfast. That is my sugar for the day. Okay, well I will eat 1/3 lb of turkey breast. That is my salt intake for the day. I have like 1,000 calories left and no salt or sugar. Now what?? I just don't know. I usually at least bust one or the other. Never a problem with fats, carbs or calories unless it is that I don't really get any. I can see how it is hard to get the calories because of this, and my Mom and I used to play "starvation diet" (thanks Mom for teaching me how to get really fat!) when I was a teen. My thyroid has been messed up since I was 21, and I am 40 now. I have been overweight since it went out of whack. Which is why I went to this site to see where I have been messing up in my diet. So now I see what has happened to me, and have no idea what to do about it.

You need to balance your meals to include carbs, healthy fat, and protein. My meals today: Breakfast 2 hard-boiled egg whites, 2 cups of baby spinach, 1 tbsp. chopped onion, 4 cherry tomatoes, 1/2 tsp olive oil = 100 calories. Lunch - Chicken Waldorf Salad (2 oz chicken, 1/2 large green bell pepper, 2 celery stalks, 1/2 small apple, 1/4 cup of grapes, 1 tbsp. of mayo) = 209 calories

Eating balanced meals will help all of your hormones.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    If you can meet your body's macronutrient needs (protein, carbohydrates, fat and fiber), then you are dieting properly. If you are not getting enough of any of these you are causing malnutrition. You probably aren't getting enough protein, which will cause muscle loss with your fat loss. It is highly unlikely you are meeting your nutritional needs. It has almost nothing to do with starvation mode.

You will probably lose muscle, energy and bone density due to malnutrition.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options

STOP!

Stop worrying about your sodium and sugar. Unless you're in serious danger of either diabetes or high blood pressure these numbers are not too horribly important.

DO worry about your calories. That's the number one most important thing. Retaining fewer calories than you burn is the definition of weight loss.

DO worry about your macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates, fat, fiber). If you mess these up you can cause malnutrition or overbearing hunger, which can lead to weakness or insatiable binge eating...or loss of muscle.

DO work out both aerobically and anaerobically. Cardiovascular and muscular health are both highly important.
  • jessitherese
    jessitherese Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but it is possible that your metabolism has already gone into starvation mode. Some studies have suggested that it can take months or years to recover from this. If you get checked by a doctor and get cleared of any possible underlying medical issues, which is an absolute must, I think you need to seriously consider that some damage may have been done to the metabolism already. That would account for you gaining weight at 1200 calories. Other than medical problems, that would seem to be the only logical solution to me. If that is the case, I think you might want to consult with a good Registered Dietician, someone who really knows their stuff, and work on a plan to get your metabolism back. It can be fixed. Any damage to it isn't permanent. But staying at 800 calories for the rest of your life isn't sustainable. You just won't get the nutrients your body needs and in the long run will hurt you in the end.

^^I second this. I have been recovering from anorexia for about 6 years and it took a VERY long time for my metabolism to properly recover from "starvation mode". If you continue to eat 800 calories/day, your health with undoubtedly be affected negatively. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, you need to be eating at least 1200 calories/day.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Grapes are not a breakfast!! And don't worry too much about sugar in fruits. Grapes are a great side to eggs or oatmeal??? And maybe don't eat 1/3 lb of turkey. That seems like a lot in one day. Lunch meat in general has lots of sodium.
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Grapes are not a breakfast!! And don't worry too much about sugar in fruits. Grapes are a great side to eggs or oatmeal??? And maybe don't eat 1/3 lb of turkey. That seems like a lot in one day. Lunch meat in general has lots of sodium.

Umm are you kidding? 1/3 of a lb is only 5.3 oz. Not a huge portion size. However - the original poster doesn't indicate if this is a baked turkey breast, or lunch meat. Lunch meat - well, I'd avoid that b/c I don't like all that sodium, or the processing.

Original poster - Umm...why are you only eating grapes for breakfast? You need to worry less about the sugar and more about BALANCED meals.
  • marshall_love
    Options
    I'm the same, if I ate what I'm recommended too I'd gain like crazy, I guess it's cuz our bodies are used to lower calories? I don't know.
  • As far as the guy who said your weight loss would eventually plateau, i'm pretty sure he's right. I eat around the same amount as you, and over the past few weeks i've stopped losing weight. I was losing 1-3 pounds a week, and now nothing. It really sucks, so try to eat more before you do the same.
  • awlosing30
    awlosing30 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm confused because i have the same problem...i stayed at 1200, worked out 3-4 times a week for 6 months and only lost 2 lbs?! And I think that's because I had a flu. So i droppped to 1,000 calories a day and exercise off about 300 (3-4 times a week). What does it mean that you eat back your exercise calories and how can you eat 3000 calories to net 1200 calories? Seriously? I understand that our bodies take x number of calories to run well...but where is the breaking point? And how do you lose weight and stay alive? It just seems ridiculous to me that person A can eat 3000 calories (that's like 6 huge meals) , maybe do the elliptical for 30 minutes and lose weight. And I can't eat over 1000 calories, have to work out every day for an hour in order lose weight.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is largely a myth, especially for more rotund people. You should definitely be eating more to<3maintain proper organ function, but you have a ways to go yet before having to worry about "starvation mode"
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options

Then forget the macros. Meet your calorie goal first. Once you're doing that figure out how to stay within your other goals.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is largely a myth, especially for more rotund people. You should definitely be eating more to<3maintain proper organ function, but you have a ways to go yet before having to worry about "starvation mode"

I :heart: you