Lost 3, gained 4-need binge support

Options
I'm so disappointed in myself. Gained back my first 3 lost pounds and THEN some. I just can't seem to get a handle on this binge eating. I eat healthily for a few days or a week and then just have a meltdown.

Has anyone here successfully overcome binge eating? I could use help/support. I can't seem to get a handle on it by myself.

Replies

• ViktoryaC
    ViktoryaC Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, I binged myself 50 pounds heavier in the past year. And I'm snacking as I type. I'm considering therapy.
  • hxcfrankie
    Options
    I spent years going on and off diets. Losing some, gaining more, or losing some, gaining a little back. More often than other times it was just straight up gaining weight. Quite a few times I would start off day one eating well throughout the day then at night I would raid the kitchen and eat anything I could get my hands on. It always led to "I'll start my diet tomorrow!" which turns into next week, next month, next year.

The most important thing is to keep trying. Something finally clicked in my head for me after many failed attempts to lose weight which led me to a 150 pound loss.

Drink a lot of water. It will fill you up. If you feel like you're about to binge drink 2 full glasses of water and it might help you stay away from the food since you'll feel full. You'll be doing your body well by drinking water too! It's not uncommon to mistake thirst for hunger either.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Drink a lot of water. It will fill you up. If you feel like you're about to binge drink 2 full glasses of water and it might help you stay away from the food since you'll feel full. You'll be doing your body well by drinking water too! It's not uncommon to mistake thirst for hunger either.

QFT.

To OP: I used to binge, too. It helped me to force myself to think of food strictly as fuel. Kind of an extreme view, but it worked. Once I fell into the healthy habit of using food to FUEL me, instead of satisfy emotions/boredom/etc, I could then eventually move back to using food as something that was pleasurable (because I learned self control).

Don't give up or get overly frustrated. Weight loss doesn't happen over night, and there WILL be ups and downs. Prepare yourself for that, and continue to make a solid, focused effort... you'll get there. :flowerforyou:
  • catmarch4
    catmarch4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you guys. It helps to hear from others who have had the same problems. I appreciate the support!
  • exealous
    exealous Posts: 10
    Options
    One thing that helped me, and it sounds so silly, but I found out that when your body has filled up it's empty fat cells it then divides the existing ones and makes new ones. And once it does that, you can never ever get rid of that new cell (except lipo) - it will always be there ready and waiting, and I guess that's why it's easier to put weight back on.

So, I just try to visualize that happening if I'm ever tempted. I also try some positive visualizations - looking at a fitness models who I'm inspired by. :)

HTH
  • catmarch4
    catmarch4 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, that's a scary thought! I'm going to try this. Thanks!