cutting carbs or calories?

Options
I am trying to loss body fat and continue to build muscle...if that means shedding a few lbs thats fine....after talking to a friend of mine he said k should focus on cutting carbs instead of calories...I have been watching my calories but have been losing weight very slow....I know part of the reason is due to my heavy lifting....but I want to shed fat faster....

I don't even know where to start cutting carbs at I love cold cut sandwiches, cereal, breaded chicken, fish and pasta...

Any suggestions....

Replies

• romach79
    romach79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Cut back the carbs - especially processed and sugary ones like: Chips, white bread, cookies, donuts, white rice - pretty much anything that tastes good! But those carbs are what puts/keeps the weight on. You want to eat more proteins and complex carbs that have a low glycemic index.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Once you figure out your carbs, the calories are easy. I struggle to get my calorie goals because i'm to busy worrying about my macros. When I was a carbaholic, I struggled to stay under my calories constantly.
  • timesinfinityplus2
    timesinfinityplus2 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Carbs won't make you fat or keep fat on you. Calories do. If you know your macros and can fit cold cut sandwiches, chips, pasta, etc. into your macros then eat them.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I cut carbs by eating the Keto way and started losing weight again, and some inches. But that's just me.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The key is to keep a reasonable calorie deficit. The macros are generally secondary to that. That said, what that means in terms of the macros, including cabs varies from person to person. I was and still am a carboholic and had no issues with that impeding weight loss.
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't in and of themselves bad for weight loss. The thing is, a lot of things with carbs such as bread, rice, many fruits, desserts, and candy, are all easy sources of calories.

Some foods with carbs are quite healthy, like oats. Just make sure you keep them in moderation.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Don't cut carbs, cut BAD carbs.

Whole grains are good -- processed grains are not.

Simple carbs should be used in moderation, processed grains should be avoided.

So cut out WHITE anything (white bread, white rice, white sugar etc) -- when liften we called that 'White Death!'
  • symonspatrick
    symonspatrick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I can lose or gain 15 pounds depending on how high or low my carb intake is but it is only water weight and not fat. To lose extra body fat I eat less calories than my body needs. That is what has been working for me.
  • NewJack718
    NewJack718 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions...somebody said cut everything that taste good lol that the truth!!!!
    I will try to wing myself off by trying to cut the bad carbs down....I love potato bread, cereal and my fruits that would be tough to go cold turkey on that.....but I will take all of you all suggestions and make some moderation to my diet..

Thanks again