Lean Cuisines/Healthy Choice meals?

Options
What's everyones thoughts on these? What's your favorite one? I love them but I heard even though they are supposed to be healthy, they aren't! Can anyone help please? :)

Replies

• kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Well, they are not the greatest, but sometimes you need the quick fix. I would stay with the Lean Cuisines that clearly state on the front of the package that there are NO preservatives. Some LCs do use preservatives, some don't, so you really just have to read. I eat them on a fairly regular basis, and for the calorie count, they are pretty delicous.
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    They're mainly unhealthy because of the sodium but here is my opinion on them. They have helped me in the past with either changing my eating habits to loose weight or to loose in general. It's not the best choice...but its better than going to the drive thru and having a whopper or anything at McD's or french fries (my weakness) or anything else you've probably been eating on the go for lunch. Plus it's easier. I wouldn't use them all the time...maybe alternate b/w other healthy options that you can make yourself but I would keep them handy incase you don't have the time/energy to prepare lunch. It's an easy grab and go option.
  • altazin0907
    altazin0907 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I eat them all the time. In my opinion the worst part about them is the sodium. As long as you keep your sodium down the rest of the day you should be fine.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any of them in months. So high in sodium! I am trying to not do packaged meals when possible.
    I figure home cooked is the way to go for me.
    But when I did eat them, the Healthy Choice steamer Beef Merlot was my favorite.
    Pretty good as far as boxed meals go.
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    These frozen meals are great for reprogramming how large a serving is, and they are great when you starved and in a time crunch. Maybe too much sodium, but how much sodium is in a small fries at McDonalds.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I think they are fine. Just watch the sodium content. Try to get the ones that have less than 600 sodium. The Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers are my favorites :)
  • Melaniegibson
    Options
    I've never eaten them, but I do like the Amy's frozen meals if I am not able to make a meal for lunch.
  • epa422
    epa422 Posts: 1,009
    Options
    I eat them for lunch every day. I try to balance out the sodium by eating something with potassium along with it (like a banana). I read that trick on Prevention.com. It's just easier for me than making something to bring to work and better than going out.
  • youngtweezy
    Options
    They aren't exactly the healthiest. However, I'm broke as can be and that's all I can afford to eat (except for breakfast).
    I really like the new Honey Balsamic Chicken from Healthy Choice. The Lean Cuisine Lemon Pepper Fish is delicious, too.
  • Herewego
    Options
    Yes I know there are not supposed to be the best for you and I should cook my little portions myself but I use them all the time for lunch: all my colleague are eating a sandwich for lunch while I heating my little prepared low cal in the microwave, eat less calorie than they do with their sandwich and definetly feel fuller for longer.

So I say why not: low cal tagliatelle, ham and mushroom or low cal mushroom risotto. One my favorite is also low spinach and ricotta canneloni. Miam :tongue:

HWG :happy:
  • vbahstork
    Options
    Check out www.hungry-girl.com. I love this website and newsletter. They have such helpful info, like this:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/girls/biteoutdetails.php?isid=2015
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I've never eaten them, but I do like the Amy's frozen meals if I am not able to make a meal for lunch.
    :drinker:
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    They aren't exactly the healthiest. However, I'm broke as can be and that's all I can afford to eat (except for breakfast).
    I really like the new Honey Balsamic Chicken from Healthy Choice. The Lean Cuisine Lemon Pepper Fish is delicious, too.
    When I have purchased them, I've never thought of them as low cost compared to what I could make at home. A yummy wrap and veggies taken to work for me is far less costly than a frozen meal for myself. Plus I know what I'm eating then.:flowerforyou:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lean cuisine everyday but I am trying to eat more fresh. With Lean cuisine I could not eat the chicken, it was seriously scary and often looked like a sponge. My favorites are the butternut squash ravioli, the lasagna with meat sauce, and the french bread pizza.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I eat them for lunch every day. I try to balance out the sodium by eating something with potassium along with it (like a banana). I read that trick on Prevention.com. It's just easier for me than making something to bring to work and better than going out.

I read that drinking coconut water conteracts sodium too, and it has a lot of potassium so that must be why! interesting...
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i know they are high in sodium but i take one 1-2x/week to work. really convienta and good. the healthy choices steamer chicken romano fresca is yummy! i try and pair it with some cheese or fruit. i really need to work on healthier lunches too.
  • Lindsay7360
    Options
    I agree with everyone else about the sodium - but I still take the to lunch a couple times a week. It's easy and convienent for me... plus, I have issues with portion sizes, so it's safe for me too!

I really like the LC fish ones... yummy! :)
  • starstealing
    Options

thanks for the tip, ericaroo : ]

has anyone noticed the healthy choice frozen meals being LOTS cheaper than the others? they also have fewer ingredients than other frozen meals, which i LOVE. i eat them every day at work and have no trouble keeping my sodium down for the rest of the day so that i'm not consuming massive amounts of salt.

healthy choice has really great vegetarian options. their pumpkin squash ravioli is delish @ only 300 cals.
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    I eat one maybe twice a week, on my more hectic days. My favorite is a Honey Ginger Chicken from Healthy choice. It's only 310 each of sodium and calories. Some others from healthy choice that are low on sodium :

Creamy basil pesto ~ 510 sodium 240 calories
    pinapple chicken ~ 190 sodium 390 calories
    lemon pepper fish ~ 360 sodium 300 calories

It takes a little extra time in the freezer section, but I have tried some that I might not have otherwise. I just look at the boxes, and put it in the cart if under 600 sodium. I've gotten home and been like, am I gonna eat this? and it turned out pretty good. There was one with zucchini, and I thought I didn't like zucchini, but it was really good... think it was a ravioli.
  • Jennwith2ns
    Jennwith2ns Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisines seem to be the best of the diet meals, in regards to sodium. Try to find the ones around 500mg or less. I dont think anyone should rely on them every single day, but every once in a while is ok. Sometimes its just easier to grab one than cooking! I usually get 5 every time I go to the grocery store, which is about once every 2 weeks. And most of them are really low in calories.. like 300 or less.