Trigger Foods

Options
I have learned that Garrett's popcorn is a trigger binge for me. I can pass up brownies, cake, ice cream, candy, bread, potatoes...just about everything...but, put Garrett's popcorn in front of me...Im a BIG uncontrollable FREAK! How do you handle trigger foods?

Replies

• nfpswife
    nfpswife Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter Sandwiches...which completely stinks because it's my sons favorite right now. Anytime I make him one, I have to practice SERIOUS will power to not make another one...or four.
  • shannonmolina722
    Options
    OMG you are not alone! LOOK at all the articles I found dealing with the very question you have posed!

http://bingesolutions.com/2011/coping-with-trigger-foods/

http://www.doctoroz.com/blog/taisha-hayes/how-deal-foods-trigger-overeating

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=35441&sc=802

http://startwiththeinside.blogspot.com/2012/04/how-to-handle-trigger-foods.html
    (excerpt below)

"So, how can you handle trigger foods?

Here are three steps that I teach to my clients:

1. Substitution. Find a healthy substitute for an unhealthy food. What is the emotional attraction to the trigger food? Is it the texture? Is it a childhood memory? Find out what attracts you to this food and try to duplicate it. Examples:
    Ice cream - cold and creamy. Start to experiment with making your own desserts with cottage cheese by blending it to remove curds, mixing yogurt with frozen fruit, or protein pudding. Healthier options that are not so high in sugar and fat.
    Candy bars - chocolately and sweet. Replace with protein bars that are similar to candy bars. There are some good ones out there that still have sugar in them, but not as much as a candy bar. Try Luna or Clif or Lara bars.
    M&M's - not so bad when you have just a couple, but who ever has just a couple? When I had a huge problem with M&M's [everyday], I started getting edamame [soy beans]. I would get a bag and boil it in a pan, rinse and drain and then put in small ziploc bags. When I had that craving for M&M's, I would eat edamame instead and it solved that craving. No, it wasn't a chocolate M&M, but it was similar to a M&M in size and texture and that was enough for me.

2. Moderation. After you find a healthy substitution for an unhealthy food, next is learning moderation. Portion control. Here's the deal - you can overeat a healthy food just like you can an unhealthy food. Except for maybe asparagus or broccoli. Learn proper portions.
    Ice cream - after making healthy substitutions and happy with my cottage cheese and yogurts and protein puddings, I learned I was lactose-intolerant and had to cut back. Jeez! So, I tried it every other day instead of every day.
    Protein bars - when I was getting closer to my goal, I also had to cut back on the protein bars I was consuming. It is easy to do because you tell yourself that they are healthier than a candy bar. So, I would cut a bar in half and have the rest the next day. Or I would have one every other day.
    Same thing with edamame or any other trigger food. Learn to moderate and not focus on the food so much. What are the emotions that cause you to go to that food? It is more important to find that out during this time.

3. Elimination. Okay, here's the part where all the diet snobs roll their eyes and will have the sugary comments about depriving themselves and how it will hurt you to eliminate anything or restrict yourself in any way. You know, it's okay to go without once in a while. We live in a fast-pace, give it to me now, whatever I want society and along the way, we have forgotten self-control, self-discipline and common sense. If you have a problem with a certain food, say chocolate like me, is it okay not to have it for a certain amount of time? Um, who the hell cares? It's nobody's business what you eat or don't eat. Oh, except for the people around you who tell you it's okay to have a chocolate treat because you've worked so hard. Or the friend who can eat anything and not gain a pound, but criticizes your choices.

Elimination is tough. Some people can go straight to the elimination stage, skipping 1. substitution and 2. moderation. That's fine, if it works for you.

Elimination can be a temporary thing.

It doesn't have to be permanent. There are certain periods of time when I give up chocolate completely. When I am training for a race, when I have a photoshoot or big event coming up.

Find the reason WHY you have an emotional tie to a trigger food and then find your way to deal with it.

It's okay to not have a trigger food for a period of time if you take that time to figure out WHY it is a trigger for you and WHAT you can do about it. Will I ever have chocolate again? Of course, I do now. But I don't focus on it. And I can handle it now. It's not a problem for me now. It is still a trigger food, but I handle it in a healthy way. I use substitution when I need to. I use moderation when I need to. I use elimination when I need to. It works for me. It can work for you too. So, will you try?"

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/foods-to-avoid
    (excerpt below)

Regaining Control
    Avoiding cravings entirely is tough, given that they can be brought on by stress, PMS, or even just thinking about eating. But there's plenty you can do to avoid skidding down the slippery slope of gateway foods.

USE YOUR HEAD
    One of the best times to stop a binge is before it begins.

A 2010 study by Australian researchers found that thinking about a craving uses up mental energy—enough that you'll struggle to do anything else or even think normally. But if your brain is otherwise engaged, you'll have fewer cognitive resources available to conjure up mental images of brownies. So when a craving hits, try doing long division, sudoku, or counting backward, and see if it goes away.

INTERRUPT YOURSELF
    If you're three bites into a pint of fudge ripple when you feel a pang of regret, try switching to a healthier snack. Once your senses have been engaged, your body is going to demand more food, but you can still decide what to give it. Sorbet or a piece of fruit can freshen up your palate, which can help put the brakes on thinking about the stuff you crave.

HIDE YOUR TRIGGERS
    Proximity to food influences how much of it you eat, says James Painter, R.D., a professor at Eastern Illinois University who studies behavioral eating. Try keeping healthy foods right where you can see them, and stash unhealthy ones in a hard-to-reach drawer—or just don't keep them around at all.

GET BACK ON TRACK
    Maybe you couldn't stop yourself from polishing off the entire caramel sundae, but that's no reason to give up entirely. We have a tendency to focus on the short-term consequences of our actions, but keeping a long-term goal in mind—say, fitting into that really cute bikini—can help you realize that you can still get there despite a setback, says McGonigal. Think of it this way: Every meal is a chance to start over and do it right.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    Ice cream. I don't even buy it anymore. If I have it in the house I will eat it all in 2 days. I may treat myself once in a while at the ice cream stand but I can't guy it to keep at home. It is my cryptonite.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Sugary cereals! I can't stop eating once I start.
  • ShrinkingKitt
    ShrinkingKitt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Salty foods! Chips & salsa, crackers, - just salt, salt, SALT! Once I cut it out of my diet for a few days I no longer crave it much. It helps to avoid it too because it can make you retain water. I have cut out a lot of extra sodium, so now I don't drink diet sodas or do the salty stuff, and am feeling slimmer and lighter!
  • jacquelineperrystephens
    Options
    This is great! Thanks for the info! Im not alone. Lets me know that I CAN do this.