Walking a pool's lazy river? What's that calorie count?

Options
Every day, the local city swimming pool opens their " lazy river" water feature so people can either walk with or against the current. Today, I am going to stuff myself into my swimming suit, put on my boat shoes (because the pool bottom will tear up your toes) and go for a pool walk. Has anybody tried this or does anyone know the calorie count for this. I've heard others talk about how difficult this is, but it's really as hard as you make it. I am hoping for 900 calories/hour (hope and dream) but I suppose it might be similar to walking in sand? Anyone familiar with this?

Replies

• artcwolf
    artcwolf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you the calorie burn, but growing up Water Country USA has their lazy river and it was not an easy feat to go against the current. It will push you backwards regardless so be aware you are making headway even though you are going backwards. I miss those days.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    Walking in water up to a little below your knee (on the sea shore for instance) is great exercise. You have a bit of resistance going because of the water and the coolness of the water is good for blood circulation in the veins.
    Make sure you wear sunscreen and a hat ;)
    I would log it as 'hiking', for lack of a better log.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I would think the calorie burn would be more like half that but it does depend on how high the water is. if you're nearly completely submerged, your upper body will be working as hard as your lower body but obviously if you're half submerged, only the lower body is fighting the resistance of the water. There is a listing for water jogging in the MFP exercise database. Maybe use that but only log say 2/3 of the calories it gives you if you're walking (thinking jogging would burn approx 1/3rd more calories than walking in the same amount of time).

Found this article that might be helpful to you:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/getting-fit-by-water-walking.html
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Every day, the local city swimming pool opens their " lazy river" water feature so people can either walk with or against the current. Today, I am going to stuff myself into my swimming suit, put on my boat shoes (because the pool bottom will tear up your toes) and go for a pool walk. Has anybody tried this or does anyone know the calorie count for this. I've heard others talk about how difficult this is, but it's really as hard as you make it. I am hoping for 900 calories/hour (hope and dream) but I suppose it might be similar to walking in sand? Anyone familiar with this?

Don't worry about it, not accurate anyway and insignifcant in the grand scheme of things, just enjoy the workout.
  • Nala335
    Nala335 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    OMG...this was the hardest workout I've ever done. It was such work. I went a loop on against the flow of the Lazy River in about 5 minutes, and it was a killer. The depth was at most 3'8" and 2'8" at the least. There were a few others there...breathing as hard as me. I would not count this as a walk on a pretty day...it was a killer workout. Im really hungry.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    The only way you'll know is by wearing a waterproof HRM.

I doubt it'll be anywhere near your expectation.
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It IS a killer workout! "Against the current," is so tough! "With the current," offers a little resistance and it's great for the joints. I tried to figure it out before too but I couldn't find a solid answer. I agree about the waterproof HRM. That way you would get an accurate account and I believe you will be happily surprised! Good going, keep up the hard work! :drinker:
  • artcwolf
    artcwolf Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I think the water flow at Water Country was about 3 miles per hour, maybe a bit faster, it moved that's for sure.
  • KDBone93
    KDBone93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nala335 wrote: »
    OMG...this was the hardest workout I've ever done. It was such work. I went a loop on against the flow of the Lazy River in about 5 minutes, and it was a killer. The depth was at most 3'8" and 2'8" at the least. There were a few others there...breathing as hard as me. I would not count this as a walk on a pretty day...it was a killer workout. Im really hungry.

LOL I just went today for the first time at our local gym. You are not kidding. I said the same thing you did. I only made it for ten minutes and my goal will be to make it thirty. I never thought about the special foot wear that is a great idea.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    is4eo31lilae.jpg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    is4eo31lilae.jpg

Oh as if!

Bloody Friday's! Literally!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    900 calories per hour??? That's Michael Phelps level of burn.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    900/hr is about what I burn while jogging. Check your heart rate: if it's close to max then you might be there.