Vegan Recipes that I am working on / Suggestions

Options
I do a lot of cooking for the whole family, and I am currently the only Vegetarian/Vegan in the family.

1. Recently I made Whole Wheat Refried Bean Enchiladas. I stuff my enchiladas with beans, onions and olives and covered them with medium red enchilada sauce. My family's side of the pan also got cheese.

2. I am planning on doing them same thing with homemade whole wheat pizza, but cut back on the pizza sauce on my part and add a little more veggies and olive oil, instead of the cheese. I used to get a brilliant foccacia by the slice in San Diego, and it was like a cheeseless, sauceless slice of pizza, and it was so good.

3. Bought a can of Garbanzo beans today, and going to try to make my own hummus. Hummus and veggies are great.

4. I bought falafel mix and am going to use it to make patties to replace Garden Burgers and other veggie patties that have dairy in them.

5. I love to bar-b-cue and now have to think of more things to grill.
a. Grilled whole Sweet potatoes or Yams are yummy.
b. Grilled Zuchini fries (Sliced zuchini with some seasoning salt is great on the grill)
c. Grilled seasoned potato wedges. I do the same thing as the zuchini fries, but add a little olive oil to help the seasoning stick.
d. Green onions marinated in soy sauce as great grilled as well.
e. Looking forward to making kebabs with green pepper, pineapple and starfruit.

BMW6Series

Replies

• NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I stumbled across this on blogspot http://foodsforlonglife.blogspot.com I think all/most of the recipes there are vegan and eatinwell.com has a section on vegan recipes too. It's not vegan but it does have organic/vegan recipes and awesome suggestions there's a recipe book called Laurel's kitchen that you might wanna check and see if your local library has.
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    Thanks! I'll need to get off to the library then.
  • Kresent
    Kresent Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I make falafel with fresh or canned chickpeas. It's quite simple

1 can chickpeas
    1/2 onion (I caramelize mine and add the garlic towards the end, They come out sweeter and less harsh)
    1 clove garlic minced
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 cup cooked quinoa (instead of flour)
    1 tbsp flax seed meal.
    1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Dump it all together if a food processor and pulse it together.

I fry mine in a dash of olive oil or peanut oil. Of course you can go for the heavy oil frying method if you prefer (I do when I make them for guests).

I'll either eat mine as a patty on a thin bun, In pita with cucumber, tomato, 0% Greek yogurt and fresh salsa. Or by themselves with a slice of tomato, Greek yogurt and a dollop of fresh salsa.
  • achbarrow
    achbarrow Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    OK that sounds so yummy! I'll be trying that this week! Thanks
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Veggie stir fry is always a big hit at our house! We also do black bean tacos...it's what we are having tonight!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    Great ideas. If you like pizza-type stuff, and are trying to cut back on sauce, look up some bruschetta recipes. Its basically bread with chopped tomatoes and basil (or whatever else you want) on top. Its great.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    My new favorite item to grill is carrots, cut them lengthwise and brush with a little olive oil . . . they are amazing!
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    Thanks all. Going to have Indian Aloo Palak (Potato and Spinach) tonight. http://www.cookingandme.com/2008/11/aloo-palak-potatoes-in-spinach-gravy.html Sorry, I haven't figured out how to post links here yet.

Thanks Panda, I will have to check for bruschetta recipes to get some ideas.
  • elloradannon
    Options
    I am also vegan... but my whole family is as well so that makes it easier (well, the kids have yogurt every now and then and at daycare they eat whatever, but at home we are primarily vegan.) I get a lot of my recipes on www.vegnews.com and www.vegetariantimes.com They have great ideas.
  • hopfroggyfrog
    Options
    I made my own hummus tonight. One can of garbanzo beans (drain liquid and set aside), a couple cloves of garlic, a squirt of lemon, salt, and olive oil. Give it a good whirl in a food processor for a couple of minutes, and then add back some of the liquid that you set aside until it's at the desired consistency. You can add tahini if you want as well.
  • BMW6Series
    Options
    Sounds good on the hummus.

I tried doing a hamburger with falafel mix. It was way too dry. Any suggestions on how to make falafel patties that aren't just like dried grain.

BMW6Series
  • hopfroggyfrog
    Options
    I think the closest thing you're going to get if you're going veggie and craving a burger is to use boca burgers. Falafel is a whole new world, and really doesn't work well as burger substitute. The reason I was making hummus was to eat with falafel - warm pita, falafel, hummus, tomato, lettuce and cucumber and a little feta. It was very delicious, and not dry at all :)
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Here's a Stuffed Pepper recipe that I make for myself all the time. It is easily veganized by leaving out the cheese.

VEGGIE STUFFED PEPPERS

6 peppers
    2 cups cooked brown rice
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can diced tomatoes (keep juice aside for later)
    1 small onion diced
    1 can mushrooms diced
    Shredded Mozzarella Cheese (optional)
    olive oil
    salt
    pepper
    crushed red pepper
    Italian seasoning

Cook the rice according to instructions and set aside.

Wash and hollow out the peppers. Arrange on a microwave safe plate and microwave on high for 4 minutes (until soft).

In a large saucepan or pot saute the onions, mushrooms, and diced tomatoes in olive oil w/ some crushed garlic. When onions are a little soft (not quite clear) add in kidney beans, tomato juice, and rice. Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and italian seasoning. Let simmer. Some of the tomato juice will evaporate out, and that is okay. You can let it cook until it gets the consistency you like (I like my juicier).

Stuff peppers with mixture (about 3/4 cup depending on size of peppers). Top with mozzarella cheese while hot. Serve.

NOTE: If you'd rather bake the peppers, then just wash and hollow them out and arrange in a baking dish. Set the oven to 350. Stuff the peppers (but definitely leave the stuffing a little wetter - you can add some extra canned or leftover tomato sauce if you want) and bake for about 45 - 60 minutes. If you're going to add cheese, do that at the last 10 minutes.