Need help/motivation. Struggling with everything

Options
Just to let you know, this post will most likely be long winded. There is so much on my mind, so much anxiety/anger/sadness in my head that I don't let out. Let me just start out by saying, my self esteem is non existent at this point. After 3 kids by the age of 25 and the things I've been through emotionally, physicall and financially. I find it hard to stay positive and motivated. I work full time (8-5) I have a 4 year old daughter who just started state pre-k, is very sensitive and stubborn so she can be difficult to manage. A 2 year old who I think is ready for potty training and I should have been started but I am just so TIRED and a 8 month old who loves attention 24/7. My husband has been unemployed for the better part of 2 years since we moved to GA from NY. Although he just got a job which he will be starting soon hopefully, but that will be night shift, so there goes my help when I get home from work.
My husband is also pretty fit and is practically obsessed with working out. While he does help out around the house and is pretty good with the kids (although I wish he would put them on more of a schedule during the day while I'm at work) he seems to pick working out over spending quality time with me when I get home. So he wants us both to work out,....ok..but who's going to give the kids attention, get them ready for bed etc. Can't drop everything to work out! Mind you, I realize this is a bit of a cop out from me, when I get home, i am tired and really just want to relax with the kids, I feel unmotivated when I work out, yet I want to cry every time I look in the mirror and see the blimp that is my body. I really haven't made any friends since moving down here so I don't get hang out time. My husband and I are rarely alone. He has offered to watch the kids while I go work out but I hate being by myself, I don't feel the motivation to go to the gym in my complex or I feel guilty because I've already spent the majority of the day away from my babies, they miss me and I miss them, on the other hand, getting everyone ready for the park and keeping outbursts to a minimum while trying to get a nice jog/walk in is VERY difficult. It takes forever just to pack the bag for the park, kids usually want to go straight to the park instead of walking around the trail or track first, someone gets hungry, someone has a soiled diaper, it's madness.
Financially can't afford a nanny or anything like that. I just get so mad at myself because I know I can do better and I feel like I am being lazy and then I beat myself up. Lately I've been doing better with eating healthy but it is still a constant struggle, I am also a super picky eater(I think it's a texture/smell thing) and like I said by the time I get home, I'm tired, I just want to try to get my kids into their routine so it's hard to think of meal to satisy everyone and be healthy at the same time and won't take forever to make. I am so set in my ways with certain foods I feel like I will never be able to break them. Although my husband is fit he doesn't exactly eat healthy so that doesn't help me when he's throwing multiple meals at me to make me feel better. I don't feel attractive. I feel so upset with myself and the situation I put myself in. I have no steady work out routine, I want to run/jog but it can be physically painful. Sometimes I feel really motivated to work out but there always seems to be some type of obstacle in my way. whether it's real or some excuse I've made up in my head. I am so impatient so it doesn't take much to make me want to give up.
I feel like I don't have anyone to hang out with or even just be encouraging with, any one who understands or is in my situation or similar. Some one who actually cares. I feel like there isn't enough time in the day to do all I want to do. I want to play with my kids, I want to teach them new skills, I want them to thrive and be happy and learn something new every day. I want to cuddle with my husband and talk. I want to lose weightand be healthy and active, i want to learn how to cook new things, I have to work and deal with backstabbers and judgemental people all day. I want to watch TV!!!! I am just a a point where every day is a struggle to cope with life. It makes me so sad. My main concern everyday should be finances. I am already freaking out about not being able to save for the kids school. I am trying to put my trust in God, I just feel like I am failing Him, myself and my family.

I am sorry for the scattered thoughts but all of this is apart of why I let myself get to be this big and I was just thinking..ok..let's say I lose all the weight I want to lose. Will that finally make me happy? I am not sure that looking the way I want to look will make me happy, losing weight may not be my only reason for feeling so down, disconnected and inadequate. I am trying not to give up but I need something, I need support. Well there's my sob story, whats yours? lol

Replies

• RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You are not alone in so many ways!!! I think many people put their kids before themselves and that is good yes but we need to take care of ourselves in order to take care of them. I have two boys (7&8) and two step-daughtes also 7 & 8. My husband works part-time from home - man am I jealous! By the time I get home from my 9-5 desk job I am tired and just plan lazy! I take my kids to the park but they do not want to walk the track they want to play so what do I do - sit on my butt and read! It's frustrating, it's a daily struggle :( I am with you on that!
  • Determined518
    Determined518 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    OK... I understand. I have a 2 year old, a husband who works midnights and I am a full time student. So I go to school 25 hrs a week, then spend about another 20-30 hours studying at home. I am totally dedicated to my kid. I want to teach and nurture him 100%.

Ideas-

Meals-
    Preplan. Plan your meals out a week in advance. No exceptions! Do not buy crap... cut out beef, bacon, sausage, chips, cookies, exc. Just do not buy them... ever. Get at least 1/2 if not more of your food from produce. It may take a while to train your kids to eat better, but it will be a wonderful blessing from you in the future.

Exercise-
    Get up earlier... when your husband gets home from work or whatever and walk. NO exceptions. Raining? Wear a rain jacket. Cold? bundle up. Make a commitment. I know you are tired, but if you can get up just a half hour earlier, you can walk a whole mile at a decent pace in about 20 minutes!!! Then as your body becomes stronger, you can begin to jog/run and be covering 2,3 miles in 20-30 minutes! Buy a few dumb bells and when you are sitting on the couch, work out your arms!

Kids-
    I know as a Mama, you want your kids to be smart and learn and have all your love and affection. That's awesome. I totally get it. I leave a stroller in my trunk, along with a ball and a few park toys, whatever. Maybe pack each kid a bag of pretzels and grab a few bottles of water and head out. If there is a dirty diaper or whatever, its ok. Just change it real quick. Park a few blocks away from the park... bring a ball and run around and play soccer with them.

Listen, you will never feel the way you want to feel if you don't get this weight off. You have to make a firm decision to take control of your life. YOU CAN DO THIS! You are a mama girl! You can do anything! But it will be hard work! You can do this.
  • TabithaRose87
    TabithaRose87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    @Rozay, I take comfort in knowing I am not alone with this struggle. i am constantly thinking, what i wrong with me that I can't find energy to get off my butt!!! Very frusturating!

@ Determined- Thank you!! Thank u for the tips and the words of encouragement, that was something I needed badly, It's a constant battle within myself doing things like that but I will definately try.
  • Gianna44
    Gianna44 Posts: 124
    Options
    I am just a a point where every day is a struggle to cope with life. It makes me so sad. My main concern everyday should be finances. I am already freaking out about not being able to save for the kids school. I am trying to put my trust in God, I just feel like I am failing Him, myself and my family.

First - you are definitely not alone! I can understand where you are coming from - I worked part-time while my husband worked full-time with 3 children under 5, and then went full-time when they were still under 8. Life was/is crazy busy (they are 16,13, an 11 now) - I get up at 5 to get myself ready before they wake up and often don't step foot in the house again until 9 pm if they have games, events, etc. I get the "no time to exercise and prepare proper food" thing that everyone insists there is time to do and simply need to "make time" (there is none sometimes)!

You said that your husband is offering to be with the kids while you work out - take him up on it. I know that you feel that you should be with the kids, but I really think that once you get going you would like it. It would give you some "you" time, and there is nothing to feel guilty about with that - your entire family will benefit from a happier and healthier you!

As for food - just search for 20-30 min meals - there are so many out there, and now is the time to have your kids try new foods, while they are young. And - you are the cook/parent, they will learn to eat what you prepare and what you eat, trust me (I wish I would have kept that in mind more often!)

As for the part above from your post - please talk to your doctor if you are truly feeling like this most of the time. You could be depressed - being tired all of the time, not feeling like doing anything, etc are signs of that as well.

Take care of yourself - you and your family are worth it.
  • TabithaRose87
    TabithaRose87 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Gianna- You are so on point!! Yes sometimes, I'm like, what am I doing wrong because there are days where there really seems as if there is no time! I know I should take him up on it, it's so hard to get going but I am always happy once I do get a nice burn in, I will try to push myself harder. I also have a hard time trying to get them to eat new things, although there are night where im just like, look this is what I made, if u don't want it, then I guess you're not eating. Of course they end up getting a yogurt or throwing a fit. But there are also nights where they're like ok fine and they actually eat what I made. lol.

I know you are most likely right about being depressed. I have tried to get help in the past and I guess I never found the right help because I either got therapist who I ended up hating or like the last time I asked my obgyn, she basically said you're fine, see your primary if you think you need a referral, but I feel weird bringing it up. Thank you for your kind words, they really mean a lot :-)