New Study about Strength Training

Options
Heavy strength training optimizes running and cycling performance, new study shows http://1.usa.gov/16bVP77

Go heavy or go home.

Might be useful for a few people for a reason to get started :)

Replies

• born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Bring on the cardio kings/queens lol.

Dude, I can't remember where else I read a similar study but, it was comparing the speed of a USA Olympic Runner who was quite well built but lightning fast. Partially, thanks to fast-twich muscle fibers activated by LIFTING HEAVY.

Not to mention, explosive sets like weighted jump squat to box. Those are BRUTAL!!!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    my running has gotten a lot better-endurance and speed wise- from starting to lift free weights. I definitely believe in weight lifting.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    but...but...it will make me bulky!

:ohwell:
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Heavy strength training optimizes running and cycling performance, new study shows http://1.usa.gov/16bVP77

Go heavy or go home.

Thank God you linked to the study and not some yahoo article about it. Good work man
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Dude, I can't remember where else I read a similar study but, it was comparing the speed of a USA Olympic Runner who was quite well built but lightning fast. Partially, thanks to fast-twich muscle fibers activated by LIFTING HEAVY.

It makes sense though, if you have stronger well built legs you get more thrust/push in each step. Resulting in faster running, definitely a benefit to sprinters.
  • talisamb
    talisamb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was all about cardio until I discovered weight training. All cardio did was make me look fluffy. I now only do sprints for cardio, ran a half marathon in 1 hour 40 minutes with only logging 5 miles as my longest run. Put all those cardio bunnies to shame =) I have become a lot faster since heavy lifting
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options

It makes sense though, if you have stronger well built legs you get more thrust/push in each step. Resulting in faster running, definitely a benefit to sprinters.

Yes, it makes sense. But people don't use their brains.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Go heavy or go home.

Heavy strength training while in a deficit or surplus?
    Or would it make a difference
  • fullofquirks
    fullofquirks Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Go heavy or go home.

Thank God you linked to the study and not some yahoo article about it. Good work man

^^ QFT
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    Great study thanks for posting
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link - just entered the off-season for football. Hoping to use a combo of heavy lifting, explosive lifting and sprint/hill training to improve my performance next season.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Glad you all find it useful! :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Go heavy or go home.

Right? Linking to real studies= Sexy

Linking to Yahoo or BB.com or whatever the hell= Makes kitten cry.

It's a fact.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Go heavy or go home.

Right? Linking to real studies= Sexy

Linking to Yahoo or BB.com or whatever the hell= Makes kitten cry.

It's a fact.

^ True story
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Def like this study. I ran a half marathon last year and felt like my legs were going to come apart! Now I'm currently training for a full marathon and not only am I up to 16 milers, there's no joint pain. The difference? Lifting heavy for 6 months has apparently strengthened and stabilized my legs. Love it!
  • maryp1024
    maryp1024 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    "Strong is the new skinny". I'm 52 years old and just started "boot camp/strength training" 3x a week. Best thing I've ever done for myself + MFP and I think I got the recipe for a healthy life. I also get my protein from plant sources/dairy and there's a lot of it out there! :smile:
  • texanintokyo
    texanintokyo Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of running anyway because I'm big busted and running is really uncomfortable, so I swim instead. To keep bone density and health you need weight bearing exercise. Since swimming isn't a weight bearing exercise I started weight training a few months ago and then started the new rules of weigh lifting for women routine about 2-3 weeks ago. Since starting my legs and arms are already so much stronger that I have shaved huge amounts of time off of my lap times!!!

Loving heavy lifting!!!