Fat shaming on reality TV

Options
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/13/my-big-fat-revenge-oxygen_n_3748411.html

Basically Fox is creating a reality TV show where women lose weight as REVENGE to make people feel bad who ever judged them because of their weight.

Because clearly the solution to these women's body and self esteem issues is to shame them into losing weight.

Weight loss is for people that want to do it for THEMSELVES. This is just sick and a joke to me. Thoughts?

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    It is reality TV. Not a big surprise.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    A variation on What Not To Wear.
    TV producers always looking for a cheap thrill. Jerry Springer lives on!
    Even Biggest Loser has a serious element of Fat Shaming and worse, it "teaches" unsustainable behavior.
    TV Sitcoms have all manner of shaming as humor. Sitcoms haven't been funny for decades.

Fat shaming isn't much different from the shaming in Hoarders and Intervention either. Just a different kind of intervention.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Just more "reality" tv I won't be watching. Isn't there enough of it already?
  • Where_Have_You_Been37
    Options
    It's not surprising as the media has a tendency to fat shame regularly :/
  • mollyW2012
    mollyW2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Well, the whole "reality tv" thing blows my mind anyway. WHY do people watch this stuff? Where did shows that were thrilling or dramatic go? Now we have to watch the sad reality of trashy families? The keep making them because America keeps watching them.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    They are getting revenge on those who judged them for being overweight by losing weight . . . yea, that'll show them . . .that'll show them that their shaming worked!!
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Can ya just throw a zombie tv show at me, or bring me new episodes of Doctor Who!!!
  • Laststand2011
    Laststand2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well, the whole "reality tv" thing blows my mind anyway. WHY do people watch this stuff? Where did shows that were thrilling or dramatic go? Now we have to watch the sad reality of trashy families? The keep making them because America keeps watching them.

No kidding, right?
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    It is reality TV. Not a big surprise.

This.

Nothing surprises me anymore after seeing Rebecca Loos* masturbating a pig for reality TV.

(* Victoria & David Beckhams' former PA who claimed to have had an affair with him in Madrid)