I've read the threads, I'm still LOST >.<

Options
Hey guys,

I am very confused. I have read so many conflicting things. I read that you should limit your calories as much as possible, without feeling "starved". I have read to take your TDEE and take 30% off of that, etc.

I'd like to know from people who have lost significant amounts of weight HOW you did it and what did you follow? I want to be doing the right thing!

I am currently 364.4lbs and my TDEE is 2932. At 30% less that is a goal of 2052 calories per day. This seems like a lot. I am averaging about 1000-1500.

Thank you

Replies

• annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm not expert, but I"m pretty sure the max is 20%, not 30%.
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    30% with more than 75bs to lose is what I'm reading. I have over 200 to go.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Yes eat 30% less. Make sure you calculate your TDEE correctly though. It might seem like a lot but it will make it much easier for you to lose weight, and it will be healthier in the long run.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Being heavily overweight, you can eat at a higher deficit than most. Most people are recommended to not exceed 20% off TDEE, but 30% should be fine for you to start with. Make sure you're consuming adequate protein during your weight loss to preserve as much muscle as possible, and I recommend heavy weight lifting to help prevent muscle loss as well. If your deficit is too high, for example you mentioned you're only eating between 1000 and 1500 calories, you will lose a significant amount of your weight through muscle loss which you don't want. Shoot for 1% of your body weight lost per week and you should be good.
  • abetterbrandi
    Options
    AJ quick question...

If I am aiming for a 30% reduction in TDEE, and I also want to lose 1% of my body weight in a week how is that possible?

If a pound is 3500 calories, then eating a deficit of 880 cals x 7 days = 6160 cals or 1.76 lbs lost which doesnt come close to the 1% goal of 3.4lbs?

I am honestly trying to figure out a game plan. I am putting everything 110% into this. This is my primary focus in life right now.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can't decide what you want to lose and it just happens. There is no formula that will guarantee a set amount of loss per week. Doing 30% off TDEE (assuming you calculated TDEE correctly) is fine with as much as you have to lose. You'll need to readjust as you get closer to goal. Eating at 1,000 calories now is only going to lead to you falling off your plan because you're going to start feeling deprived and your body won't get the nutrition it needs.

Losing weight isn't about living on water and lettuce. All you need to do is eat within your budget and you will lose weight. Don't deprive yourself of the things you like and remember that your body does need fat to survive. Fat doesn't make you fat. It may sound harsh but you didn't get to be over 300 lbs by only being able to eat 1,000 calories a day!