How to fuel on a race while doing a sugar detox?

Options
I'm racing (using that term loosely since I just want to finish) in a duathlon this weekend and will need to fuel my body at least 2-3 times. I guesstimate to be out there 2 1/2 hours. How do I fuel my body if I'm currently doing a sugar detox or do I just break the rules during the race and use gels and/or bars?

Replies

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    How does a sugar detox work? Do you just restrict simple sugars or are carbs out as well? My first thought was that complex carbs might provide steadier energy.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Sugar detox? Care to explain a bit more?
  • brasskim
    brasskim Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm doing a 21 sugar detox which means no sugar whatsoever (including fruit) and no carbs as in refined flour, grains, and low-fat diary.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I would advise not trying to race on that diet.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing this? There is no such thing as a sugar detox. Your body will just make its own glucose.

Anyway, the intensity of the race really determines what type of fuel you're going to need. If you are taking it easy for a couple hours, you could snack on complex carbohydrates. If you are going to be breathing heavy and sweating for a couple hours, you will seriously bonk if you don't supplement correctly. After the first hour of exercise you should take in about 30g-60g of carbohydrates per hour (depending on intensity level and habitual diet). You will also need an electrolyte beverage but that doesn't necessarily have to be where you get the sugar.
  • moewmoew
    Options
    If you're eating Paleo/Primal I would suggest this link:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-fuel-a-marathon/#axzz2buNQbSyB
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,013 Member
    Options
    Priority generally prevails. A race is a a few hours of you life so you could look at it as an opportunity. Fuel properly to be more competitive or not worry about walking over the finish line.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Why are you doing this? There is no such thing as a sugar detox. Your body will just make its own glucose.

Anyway, the intensity of the race really determines what type of fuel you're going to need. If you are taking it easy for a couple hours, you could snack on complex carbohydrates. If you are going to be breathing heavy and sweating for a couple hours, you will seriously bonk if you don't supplement correctly. After the first hour of exercise you should take in about 30g-60g of carbohydrates per hour (depending on intensity level and habitual diet). You will also need an electrolyte beverage but that doesn't necessarily have to be where you get the sugar.

^This. Why????
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I would say, make an exception during the race. A 3 hour race is not your everyday activity, and it may require more sugar than usual.

I'm also interested in knowing more about this "sugar detox". The word "detox" is what confuses me. You can't "detox" from sugar... but if you just mean you are trying to lower your sugar intake and regulate it throughout the day, that makes sense.

I was on the sugar roller coaster. I was tired nd had no energy so I ate tons of sugar to make my energy spike, then I'd immediately crash and feel like crap so I craved more sugar, spiked then crash, over and over again. I felt like crap. But the more I felt like crap the more I needed sugar. I was actually looking for skin care advice when so many women were claiming avoiding refined sugar, keeping over all sugar levels low, was "curing" their acne. I was very skeptical. But it did make me realize the sugar roller coaster I was on. I was addicted to sugar. I thought about it day and night, and needed it, even when I didn't want it. So finally I stopped the sugar, broke the habit. It was not easy. I have much less of it overall and I spread it more evenly through out the day to avoid spikes and crashes. I feel a MILLION times better, I don't feel at all addicted to sugar anymore, my energy is more stable. Cookies and hot chocolate are no longer the only thing on my mind lol. And my skin dramatically improved too. I still think it's more of a coincidence that my skin got better, but I am convinced that regulating my sugar was one of the best things I've ever done for my health and energy. But I have a 5k on Saturday and I plan on getting more sugar than usual just for this event. As long as I don't go back to my daily rollercoaster, I'll be fine.

So yep, I think it's worth watching your sugar, but this race should be an exception. Good luck!!!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm. If you need to replenish glucose during the race, it has to be with at least some sugar. If it's a short duathalon, less than 90 minutes, you can carb load ahead of time and not refuel but if it's longer than 90 minutes you need to ditch the detox.

I don't think using gu during a race is going to make you binge on nutter butters afterwards....or whatever this detox is trying to accomplish...you ingest it, and then your body uses it, right away. It doesn't have time to create whatever toxins you're trying to eliminate.
  • brasskim
    brasskim Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the link. I did decide to just refuel as I needed during the race with Gu and protein bars. Bringing Gatorade also. I expect to be out there for 2 1/2 hours so I need something to keep me going.

I'm doing the 21DSD, search on it if you want more info. I'm basically doing it to make myself more aware of how much sugar and carbs I eat and how it affected me.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    What is a sugar detox? What exactly are you "detoxing"? What is toxic? I'm so confused.