Body perception changing during weight loss

Options
Hi,

I wish to share something interesting that I am noticing now that I am taking a break from weight loss.

106 kg: I felt fat, heavy. 6 months before that I was only 95 or so, big difference there.
Back to 95: I felt a lot lighter, time to start sports!
^ nothing unusual so far.

90 kg a month ago: I felt like I was really getting thin, doubting whether I could lose some more weight.
^ then I started having my conscious break to focus on some other things.
90 kg now (and the last week): I feel fat again, not as fat at 106 kg, but I am sure now that I can easily lose 10 more kgs (now my BMI is 25.4 so it's also kind of logical).

So, my perception of the same weight changed! My explanation of this is that weight loss is not only a physiological, but also a psychological process - you need to get used to your body again. Now that I have gotten used, I see what is left. I think it was good to do this break. Will continue with this break for two more weeks, then it's time to create the calorie deficit again!

By the way, I am not gaining weight, I am still the same as when I was actively losing, nor am I seizing to live healthy. I am just on a plateau of my own making! ;)

Anyways: how has your perception of your body changed through your weight loss (so far)? Have you experienced it as a psychological process too?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I can't say yes to this. My sister always told me I had a scewed view of what I looked like tho...maybe she was right.

The only thing that makes me pause is my clothing size...at my heaviest a size 16 (US) now I buy 8-10...

Logically I know I am smaller but my perception has stayed the same...I think that is because as my husband puts it...I am confident in myself no matter what I look like...
  • Mistyvs
    Mistyvs Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I am in the process of gaining, I feel heavy and unattractive at a heavier than goal weight. When I start to lose, I feel better at the same weight. Does that make sense? For example, my goal is 134. I got down to 118. When I was gaining weight, I felt so fat at 146. I got up to 160. Now that I'm losing weight and I'm at 146, I feel fabulous!
  • oDDnySS
    oDDnySS Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Oddly, I have lost about 50 lbs or so and I am more critical of myself and my. Image than ever before, and its really frustrating...I have an easier time finding and wearing pretty much any type of clothing I'd like to, but often end up wearing the same old stuff I used to- I don't think I have an accurate perception of my self-image and certainly not how others see me, and it sucks because I am not enjoying the fruits of my hard work thus far. I think dieting/ losing weight are a two-fold process...double the work when you also have to work on your emotional and mental well-being- self-confidence doesn't just appear in the absence of weight :-/
  • stormtruck2
    stormtruck2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am a guy, and I am aware of skewed body perception of many trying to lose weight. My wife states that she can see I have lost weight, and my clothes show that I am. When i went from 375 to 255 I could see that I had lost weight. I went back up to 292 and am now down to 264. I stand nude before the mirror and I cannot see that I have lost weight. I have to ask myself is my perception of self skewed, or is a 30 pound weight loss not that noticable? I am not obcessing about exercise or calories, I eat when I am hungry. I have stepped up and started exercising, trying to walk 3 miles twice a day for a total of 6 miles a day. That was prompted by my doctors concern that I might be osteopenic. The best way to increase bone mass is weight bearing exercise. I am limited to lifting no more than 10 pounds by my doctor right now. So I am taking 2,000 mg of elemental calcium and 800 IU of D3 daily. The scale shows I'm losing weight, but I don't see it. So i understand where you are coming from. As long as you recognize that perhaps your perception is skewed, and listen to those who tell you they can see and tell that you are losing weight, and your clothing is telling you you are losing, then believe it, and in time your perception may catch up. If possible take a picture from your heavier weight, and compare it to a current picture. You should then easily see that you are losing weight.