Does anyone use the ultimate sandbag?

Options
And how much weight can you put in one? Do you like it? Any thoughts?

Replies

• ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Nobody uses one?
  • fitatlastforme
    fitatlastforme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I substitute a sandbag with a rucksack, just fill with bags of rice/water bottles/ magazines & weigh on scale to get desired weight : )
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There's three different models that have different max weights. And max weight is not how you want to stuff it, because you want the sand to be able to shift around quite a bit to provide instability. With each model, there are individual filler bags that you can remove so you can quickly change the weight for different movements

If you're thinking about just go ahead and get one. There's lots you can do and you can use it at home or the park relatively inexpensively
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but might benefit others....

I have one, and I love it. I ended up purchasing the Strength water bag. you can pack up to 80lb. of water in it, and easily travel with it.

Honestly, it's one of the best workouts I've ever had, and using less weight (80 lb. of water) is actually much harder than doing 160 lb. barbells of the same exercises.
  • ummommyme
    Options
    Thanx for responding-Curious as to why you think it's harder? I've still not given in and gotten one and am still deciding between an Olympic barbell and maybe a sandbag. I don't think my upper half needs much more than bodyweight exercises but my lower half could handle a lot more weight. That's why i'm thinking the bar. It can hold a lot of weight. Really it's deadlifts and squats i'm thinking about I guess.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I do. Mine has 50 lbs in it. It's great, I love it and its very versatile. And Josh Henkin is a local Phoenix guy. Don't be fooled by numbers, it doesn't take a lot of weight in it to get awesome workouts.
  • ummommyme
    Options
    So using one for deadlifts and squats is a good exercise? There is no reason It should be a bar is what i'm asking. Other than adding in more weight.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    The water or sand moves around more, which makes you have to use more stabilizing muscles. When doing overhead push presses, it sometimes takes me 6-10 seconds to complete one rep because I must balance the bag, when compared to a barbell, I lift the weight real easily without the need to balance. It takes free weights to the next level. Bear-hug squats are amazing with the sandbag, and one leg deadlifts. I think this way of exercising gives you much more functional strength too.

Try it for yourself, go to a gym & use barbells, then a few days later, try the same workout with 60%-70% the weight in a sandbag. I'm sure you'll notice a much better quality workout with the sandbag.
  • StrongLife
    StrongLife Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    What he said. Bear hug squats are a killer. You can certainly do deadlifts with the sandbag to start but I suspect you'll find yourself needing more weight. I use an Olympic barbell for the various types of deadlifts. The sandbag I will use going up and down a hill or do overhead presses. I like it. Mine holds up to 70 lbs. You'd be surprised how much of a workout that amount of weight can provide.
  • ummommyme
    Options
    It sounds very useful, I may have to just give in and get one. I love that it's more functional strength too. I don't belong to a gym so I can't really try out the barbells first to see. So now to decide which one to get, lol. Thanx guys!
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am planning to get one too....there are loads of sandbag youtube videos that are great to follow...I too cant get to the gym at this pojnt.....so sandbag it is then...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    OP, have you really done no research on your own since you first asked this question nine months ago????
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    We have a couple in the gym. One 45 lb and one 25 lbs. Mostly used in personal training, but hardly anyone uses it outside of that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ummommyme
    Options
    I don't just go out and buy something as soon as I want it. I don't have much money so It normally takes me a while to make a decision on something expensive I want to purchase. And I do actually have a life, I don't live on internet. I was curious what actual people had to say about their use of the sandbag. A lot people on mfp like to share their experiences with equipment or workouts so others can make an informed decision. So thank you all for your answers-it helps;)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    it's an eighty dollar sand bag. it's not some super-expensive piece of exercise equipment. and i bet you could find it even cheaper on craigslist.

it took me ten minutes on google to find out what i needed to know about it, and read user reviews, and even shop around for a good price.
  • DavPul
    Options
    ZAJtaPB.jpg
  • ummommyme
    Options
    it's an eighty dollar sand bag. it's not some super-expensive piece of exercise equipment. and i bet you could find it even cheaper on craigslist.

it took me ten minutes on google to find out what i needed to know about it, and read user reviews, and even shop around for a good price.
    Here's a round of applause for you, what a big boy you are:)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Here's a round of applause for you, what a big boy you are:)

thanks!!!
  • DavPul
    Options
    the two of you make a cute couple
  • ummommyme
    Options
    Welcome!