How long until low calories affect metabolism?

Options
Hi, I'm new here and have only been tracking my calories for about three days. I have been sick due to a side effect of medication, and hope to be feeling better soon. Because of this side effect, I haven't been able to eat very much lately, probably for the last week or so. My question is, how long can a person eat low calories before their metabolism is affected? I'm 29, female, 5' 9", 143lbs.my calorie goal is about 1500 according to this site, but I've been lucky to hit 1000/day for the last week or two.

Replies

• SciFish
    SciFish Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Several days, like a good week. But please don't think that being sick for a week means that you're stuck with a low metabolism!
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer to this... but I was reading the some about it... and what I could find was that fasting for a day or two... may have some benefits... but you don't want to do it too often or for very long! I was reading in one place that it is a good natural way for your body to detox!

Some other good sources said you can fast on fruit for three days... or fruit juices.. both are healthy but not to more than one per month!

I thought about trying this before I had to go back to work... But I was reading.. that if your fasting you should not do any exercise.. I read stories about those who tried to do this and some did not end well! But fasting is safe and some people do it for longer periods... I would suggest that if you do .. talk to your doctor first.. get their ok... then lets us all know how it went!
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer to this... but I was reading the some about it... and what I could find was that fasting for a day or two... may have some benefits... but you don't want to do it too often or for very long! I was reading in one place that it is a good natural way for your body to detox!

Some other good sources said you can fast on fruit for three days... or fruit juices.. both are healthy but not to more than one per month!

I thought about trying this before I had to go back to work... But I was reading.. that if your fasting you should not do any exercise.. I read stories about those who tried to do this and some did not end well! But fasting is safe and some people do it for longer periods... I would suggest that if you do .. talk to your doctor first.. get their ok... then lets us all know how it went!

She's sick. She can't eat. Fasting for "detox" purposes is never necessary.
    To answer your question, from what I understand metabolic damage occurs at different times based on your body composition. No worries, though, it is progressive. Your metabolism doesn't all the sudden just stop working. When you're feeling better start at 1200 and taper up 100 calories or so every couple of days until you're at your desired intake.

ETA: if the side effect does not go away fairly quickly talk to your doctor.