Anemic?

Options
Anyone anemic? If so, what symptoms do you have, if any?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I have been anemic in the past, though my only symptom was lethargy.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Anyone anemic? If so, what symptoms do you have, if any?

Heart rate rockets if I run or exert myself.
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Definitely lethargy, and I would get really tired really fast when I was out on running.
  • katie190177
    katie190177 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have iron deficiency anemia, I noticed that I was much more tired/unmotivated/lazy than normal and I summed it up to studying too late in university. I also noticed by hair was significantly thinner than it was in highschool, also there's another symptom that I noticed called "pica." Which is the eating of something abnormal, where I found myself biting my nails and skin around them more than I used to, but for most people ice chewing or something along those lines is more common. Exercise also causes you to have lower iron/hemoglobin levels which was also part of my problem. I went to give blood and couldn't because my iron was so low, so I went to my doctor to see what I could do and I started taking a supplement called palafer which worked great, it's also over the counter! I hope this helps!
  • somanyrhoades
    somanyrhoades Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Me! I'm a classic text book case... I'm always cold, I bruise very easily, the reds areas on the inside of my eyelids are pale, I get short of breath, especially during exercise, and rapid heart beat. Trying very hard to increase my dietary intake so I can avoid taking a supplement,.... some things I have incorporated into my diet were cinnamon and pumpkin seeds, and I try to eat some type of iron fortified cereal for breakfast most days (just for the iron).
  • zoey116
    zoey116 Posts: 75
    Options
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but, those of you that say you get short of breath when exercising, did that get better once you treated the anemia? I started swimming again about 6 weeks ago and I am still struggling with the cardio. I just assumed it was due to my asthma but when I went for my yearly physical I found out I am anemic. Doc said that could be the cause that I am struggling and that I should have seen improvement by now. It's getting frustrating. I can't even swim a full 50 yards freestyle without getting so winded I have switch to a "resting stroke"