Night Cravings tips anyone?

Options
Hello all. I work 2nd shift, which is 3-11PM, or later depending on workload. I usually eat dinner during the shift, but still I want to eat when I get home. Any tips out there? I'm trying to increase bran/protein intake to feel fuller.

Replies

• HopeSpringsE
    HopeSpringsE Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have this same issue. When I started MFP one of my goals was not to eat after 7 p.m. Before, I used to eat a full meal after work and then go to bed an hour later which I'm sure was a major varable in weight gain. The first week dieting I would wake up with a major headache, having not eaten since 6 pm. the night before to about 11 the next day...I'm sure because blood sugars were low. (I am pre-diabetic, not diabetic). I now eat dinner about 5 p.m., and then eat a very small meal about 8:30 p.m., keeping within my alotted calories, including a little meat, vegies, salad, and fruit. That has cut the craving to eat when I get home from work dramatically, nor do I wake up with a headache the next day. Very rarely, when I have a craving at 1 a.m., I'll have a small salad, incorporating those calories onto the next day's tally.
  • Tum22
    Tum22 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Low GI things: wholewheat tortillas or wholegrain bread would help one feel full. I like hot choc made with skimmed milk and bananas which can help one sleep too.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Casein
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    possibly a protein shake with your supper so it will hold you over for awhile after. Or maybe chewing on Ice Chips when you get home I have done that a few times when I've been at my calorie goal cuz it tricks your mind into thinking its eating something late at night but you get your extra water in that way too.
  • mud7urtle
    mud7urtle Posts: 500
    Options
    These work like a charm for me, and delicious

27000-41233.jpg
  • mwiechel
    mwiechel Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Are you actually hungry or just eating out of habit when you get home? If you are hungry then find healthy snacks to stock in the house, carrots, apples, bananas, cucumbers w/ salsa. If you are just eating out of habit, brush your teeth right when you get home, and nothing will sound good. I try to brush/floss when I get my boys ready for bed around 8pm to cut down on the "bed time snacks"
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    1- save half your dinner to eat when you get home.
    2- brush your teeth after dinner and/or first thing when you get home
  • LemonLizard
    LemonLizard Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Brushing your teeth before and after dinner is a great suggestion ^

I also just drink a ton of water when I'm feeling hungry. I figure that many times I feel hungry it's probable I'm actually thirsty.
  • luceroce
    luceroce Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I drink Sleepytime Herbal Tea with a little bit of almond milk and a drop or two of honey. This always does the trick for me and it also relaxes me before bed. I always feel well rested the next morning :)
  • buckeyesml
    buckeyesml Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks!
  • buckeyesml
    buckeyesml Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input everyone :smile: