Has anyone lost weight not cutting down on carbs?

Options

Replies

• gera368
    gera368 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree, for some people Atkins will work, but i think for the long term it's better to look at the calories and eat healthier.
  • cutlooseat60
    Options
    I'm a carb person!!! I'm sure my weight loss would be greater if I cut back on them, but I just count calories. My weight loss has been half to a pound a week. I want this to be a life style not a diet. I fell off the wagon about a year ago and started up again the end of May. I feel this time I'm being more realistic and think it can be that life style I'm looking for.
  • AccioHotBod
    AccioHotBod Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I only counted calories to lose weight
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I love my carbs! AND I'm losing weight.

I tried the low carb thing about 5 years ago and it worked. But my weight loss was only slightly quicker than the pace I'm at now. The only problem is that I gained all my weight back plus a few more because there was no way that I was able to eat that way for the rest of my life. Counting calories and not being restrictive is the way to go for me.

Are you going to sustain that way of eating for the rest of your life?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    The OP has 150 pounds of excess fat which means she has very good reason to keep her carbs low. Excess fat causes insulin resistance, a real medical condition which means eating carbs can hamper her weight loss goals. I'm not saying she's insulin resistant but i'm saying she has a pretty damn good chance as the AMA recommends you get tested at only 30 pounds of excess fat. She was however, in excess of 150 pounds.

I was insulin resistant and diagnosed type 2 diabetic in 2009 and had over 300 to lose when I started my journey and worked with a Dietician through my Endo dr. and never once did she mention low carb. She had me set to eat 60-70 grams at my main meals and 20-25 at my snacks which averaged 240 to 290 grams of carbs a day... I have since lost a few pounds and my Carbs make up over 50% of my macro intake today which puts me over 400 grams a day... My A1c's the last 2 years have averaged 5.3........ OP there is nothing wrong with your plan as long as you are losing weight and exercising you will achieve your goals.... Best of Luck.....

Yes, the amount of calories still matter but it is easier to lose weight on low carb if you are insulin resistant. You are just making it harder on yourself by including carbs in your diet. Link below to read more on the topic.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-sensitivity-and-fat-loss.html

In addition to that, abnormal spikes in glucose levels still cause damage to your microvascular system(tiny arteries) even if it's just a 2 hour high spike.

http://clinical.diabetesjournals.org/content/20/2/71.full

Lol well we will agree to disagree then because I have been monitored every 3 months (A1c checks....and every 6 month lipid panels done) for the last 4 years with my Endo dr. and checking in every 4 weeks with my (the same) dietician who approves my meal plan and I had lost 312 lbs. in alittle over 3 years (been in maintenance for the last 9 months.... So I don't see where it as made my weight loss any harder.... but maybe I am just a special snowflake.......

Congratulations but no, you're not a special snowflake. Just anecdotal evidence. You only tried one diet and that's the only diet you know, so you have nothing to compare it to. Let me be clear here, if you are strict enough with your calorie counting than anyone can still lose weight even if they are insulin resistant but real scientific peer reviewed research that contains more than one participant shows that insulin resistant people feel better and lose more weight on a lower carb diet. How do you know you wouldn't have lost faster on a lower carb diet? You don't because you only did one approach to it and there was only one participant in your research, yourself. Get it?

As for your lipids test, great job, but I would not take the risk of spiking my glucose levels knowing that there's evidence that I could be damaging my arteries and I'm sure many people would not go the same route if they had that information either. That is why i posted it. (We're talking about insulin resistant people and type 2 diabetics here. Normal people should not have this problem)

http://clinical.diabetesjournals.org/content/20/2/71.full#ref-25

My weight loss was set for me to lose 1-2 lbs. a week no more ( I wasn't in this for a faster weight loss), it was established by my endocrinologist and the plan was implemented by my dietician, there was no other plan. I was ask before we even ventured on this path if I would rather do gastric bypass but I was adamant that if I could not fix what was broken in my head then no weight loss surgery was ever going to give me the long term success I wanted so I told them I would do this with diet and exercise or die trying... At 560 pounds I was trapped in my home for over 2 years and my Endo dr. actually wrote me a script for aquatic therapy so that my Physical therapist could use water displacement to allow me to stand long enough to be able to exercise ( could not walk more than 20 ft back then with out having to sit down, actual ripped the back off a computer chair and would roll myself to the bathroom and kitchen from my recliner). So you see there was a medically supervised approach that I just surrendered to the process and stopped saying No to everything and started saying YES...... I know we are talking about Type 2 diabetics and insulin resistance because I am and have this disease and will for the rest of my life. The key now is to keep it in remission to allow me to keep the receptors I still have left so that I never have to go on insulin, so maintaining my weight, exercising, controlling my diabetes with my diet, testing daily are all staples in my arsenal against it.... So again we will agree to disagree but my approach to this was established from day one under doctors control and that has not changed...... But lumping all diabetic into this low carb group in my mind and from my experience is not necessarily the case for all so I am just voicing my side of the equation... Best of Luck OP on your journey......
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Being a diabetic means having abnormally high glucose levels and having high glucose levels destroys arteries even if it's just for a 2 hour spike. In addition to that, being insulin resistant causes your body to flush more insulin in order to deal with the high glucose levels. I don't see how we can not lump them into one group and say that there is a special diet that works the best for them over everything else? Yes, you can still lose weight by counting calories even when eating carbs but we can be even more detailed than that by not contributing more to the already existing problem.

Anyway, here is a research paper below that you might be interested in. It goes into detail about what causes Type 2 diabetes and how to reverse it. Even says that phase 1 insulin response came back to life, a true marker for reversing the condition and not just a management of glucose levels. Have you done an oral glucose tolerance test to see how fast your phase 1 insulin response is working? The study below also goes into detail about insulin resistance and changes your understanding of how much of a roll it plays into a type 2 diabetic's condition.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/4/1047.full
  • CyberEd312
    Options
    Being a diabetic means having abnormally high glucose levels and having high glucose levels destroys arteries even if it's just for a 2 hour spike. In addition to that, being insulin resistant causes your body to flush more insulin in order to deal with the high glucose levels. I don't see how we can not lump them into one group and say that there is a special diet that works the best for them over everything else? Yes, you can still lose weight by counting calories even when eating carbs but we can be even more detailed than that by not contributing more to the already existing problem.

Anyway, here is a research paper below that you might be interested in. It goes into detail about what causes Type 2 diabetes and how to reverse it. Even says that phase 1 insulin response came back to life, a true marker for reversing the condition and not just a management of glucose levels. Have you done an oral glucose tolerance test to see how fast your phase 1 insulin response is working? The study below also goes into detail about insulin resistance and changes your understanding of how much of a roll it plays into a type 2 diabetic's condition.

I test before my meal and 2 hours after I eat and that is at each meal.... my bs b4 I eat averages mid 80's and my 2 hour test following my meals is always below 110 which is exactly where my endo wants my numbers.... my diet consists of lean meats, veggies, fruits and whole grains. Once I hit my macros and nutrient for the day any calories remaining are spent on discretionary items of my choosing. ... Look I have 4 years of trial and error with my diet and exercise, and have been medically supervised my actual doctors and dieticians that there whole careers are based around diabetics so I will continue to follow the path that they have laid out in front of me because had I not taken the steps they laid out I more than likely would not be sitting here typing this today.... Best of Luck to you..........
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I won't cut out my carbs, I just watch what I eat, and eat in MODERATION. I use a small plate instead of a big plate. That right there has helped me a LOT! In fact, when I used that small plate with every meal, no matter what it is I've been eating, that plate has made all the difference for me personally. I don't even take the time to count calories anymore. I just decided to cut back on my portions and **POOF** I've been seeing a difference in how my clothes fit!

Good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • freekat
    freekat Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Yes :bigsmile: Lots of natural foods, not too much processed food and count those calories!! Best of luck!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

I test before my meal and 2 hours after I eat and that is at each meal.... my bs b4 I eat averages mid 80's and my 2 hour test following my meals is always below 110 which is exactly where my endo wants my numbers.... my diet consists of lean meats, veggies, fruits and whole grains. Once I hit my macros and nutrient for the day any calories remaining are spent on discretionary items of my choosing. ... Look I have 4 years of trial and error with my diet and exercise, and have been medically supervised my actual doctors and dieticians that there whole careers are based around diabetics so I will continue to follow the path that they have laid out in front of me because had I not taken the steps they laid out I more than likely would not be sitting here typing this today.... Best of Luck to you..........

You sound like you're taking it personal. I'm only trying to have a civil conversation and posting informative links for people who want to learn more about their condition. Following your doctor is a great idea. Never said anything was wrong with that. I'm curious though, how many calories did they start you off eating at?
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I responded earlier that I am losing while eating carbs but I want to expand on what I said.

The question is, has anyone lost weight not cutting down on carbs and my answer is, of course I've cut down on carbs. I've cut down on all the types of calories I consume. I wouldn't be able to lose otherwise. However, I still eat bread, tortillas and even sweets, just a whole lot less.

I
  • JustSammi
    Options
    I eat carbs for every meal and I've lost 30 lbs. Oats for breakfast, bread for sandwiches at lunch, pasta, rice or potatoes for dinner... yum!

I've done low-carb before and was no where near as successful as I am now I'm no longer depriving myself. Lack of carbs make me miserable and I just never feel satisfied unless I eat some.

Everything in moderation is the key and I try to eat lower GI carbs such as oats and wholewheat everything instead of white rice or pasta. Although I don't think it really matters whether you eat white or wholewheat for weight loss, I just find that they keep me fuller for longer and I don't get energy slumps. :smile:
  • expoduck
    expoduck Posts: 59
    Options
    No rice, no potato, no pasta? No way.

Carbs, balanced diet, calories in and out. Job done. xx
  • changing4life
    changing4life Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. I just count calories - I don't worry too much about carbs. However, I've learned that some carbs have a calorie count that, to me, is not really worth it. Bread and pasta are delicious, but for the amount of calories in 'em, I could eat way more of something else that would fill me up much better and be more satisfying. A huge salad with chicken, veggies, hard-boiled eggs, and maybe a little cheese will fill me up and take longer to eat than a sandwich, which might have more calories. Thus, my carb intake has naturally gone down, though I do still eat lots of fruit!

I don't think anything is evil in moderation. If I feel like eating bread or pasta, I'll eat it - but I measure it and count it. I try to go for whole grains when possible. If I totally cut out carbs, I think I would crave them too much... and maybe end up binging.

I agree - if you get your carbs from healthy foods, like dairy, fruit, veggies, and beans, you feel fuller longer. But at the end of the day, if you overeat these types of foods you will still gain weight. Calories in/calories out is the key...
  • CyberEd312
    Options

You sound like you're taking it personal. I'm only trying to have a civil conversation and posting informative links for people who want to learn more about their condition. Following your doctor is a great idea. Never said anything was wrong with that. I'm curious though, how many calories did they start you off eating at?

No not taking anything personal.................. That being said my dietician calculated my intake at my heaviest and figured I was eating over 10,000 calories a day @560lbs. Of course that was calorie dense foods of the highest content like Pizza, Chips, desserts etc. So the week I began this journey..... abstinence was the key, we brought in 2- 35 gallon trash cans and empty the house of all my trigger foods, filled the fridge with lean meats, veggies, fruits, and whole grains and set my calorie intake at 2500 with a macro split of 40/30/30 which like I said put my carb intake at 60-70 grams at my main meals and 20-25 grams at my snacks which is right in line (the ADA recommends a carb intake of 40-60 grams at main meals and 20-25 at snacks so I was on the higher end but also coming down from a carb intake way north of that lol) with ADA recommendations. Now they do (ADA) believe that not all diabetic respond the same way and that a low carb approach may work for some while a higher carb diet may work best for other, this is established by working with a Endo dr. and dietician and proper blood glucose monitoring.... As my exercise increase (I had to spend 17 months in a therapy pool using water displacement to allow me to stand long enough to exercise) so did my caloric intake needs, and again this was strictly monitored my doctors and dietician. So respectfully I have to disagree with your approach that ALL diabetics fall under one category, some may but not all.....
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    No not taking anything personal.................. That being said my dietician calculated my intake at my heaviest and figured I was eating over 10,000 calories a day @560lbs. Of course that was calorie dense foods of the highest content like Pizza, Chips, desserts etc. So the week I began this journey..... abstinence was the key, we brought in 2- 35 gallon trash cans and empty the house of all my trigger foods, filled the fridge with lean meats, veggies, fruits, and whole grains and set my calorie intake at 2500 with a macro split of 40/30/30 which like I said put my carb intake at 60-70 grams at my main meals and 20-25 grams at my snacks which is right in line (the ADA recommends a carb intake of 40-60 grams at main meals and 20-25 at snacks so I was on the higher end but also coming down from a carb intake way north of that lol) with ADA recommendations. Now they do (ADA) believe that not all diabetic respond the same way and that a low carb approach may work for some while a higher carb diet may work best for other, this is established by working with a Endo dr. and dietician and proper blood glucose monitoring.... As my exercise increase (I had to spend 17 months in a therapy pool using water displacement to allow me to stand long enough to exercise) so did my caloric intake needs, and again this was strictly monitored my doctors and dietician. So respectfully I have to disagree with your approach that ALL diabetics fall under one category, some may but not all.....

As you mentioned, though, going to a 40/30/30 split at 2500kcal versus your previous intake was a pretty severe restriction in carbohydrate consumption as well as calories. If your blood sugar was high under your normal diet, it would stand to reason that it would drop (and likely, rather precipitously) when you started eating 250-300g of carbs a day. Any estimate on how much you were eating before?

For initial diagnoses of T2 diabetics, the recommended therapy is almost always weight loss and dietary carbohydrate management combined with some drug-related intervention (normally metformin for a first chance). The problem comes in defining "dietary carbohydrate management" -- some, like myself, seem to do best on very restricted levels of carbohydrate (I eat for a full day what you eat for a snack). Others eat a moderate amount and can control their readings, and still others can eat a rather copious amount of them and still control it - I think you'd agree with that.

It does stand to reason, though, that even someone eating a relatively "normal" amount of carbs -- say, 200-250g, and losing weight, is likely eating less (or different) carbohydrate than what their standard diet was. So they'll get benefit from the weight loss, and benefit from the carbohydrate change as well.

As an aside, your before and after pics are awesome.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I lost a good deal of my extra weight by just cutting calories and exercising. I ate a much cleaner diet and focused on adding protein, so that cut my carbs a bit, but not that much and not on purpose. Although I did still lose more fat than lean through exercise, I did lose both. I got down to the target weight I wanted, but not the body fat I was hoping for. I got smaller and a little leaner, but for as hard as I was working out and cutting back, I expected more.

The past month, however, I have been following more of the primal diet trying to keep total carbs under 100 grams a day, keeping up the protein, and eating good fats to fill out all of the rest of the calories that I normally filled with carbs. My body fat is now dropping and my lean mass is increasing. I've plateaued weight wise and actually gained a few pounds from my low, but my body fat from both scale and caliper measurements has dropped almost another 2%.

So, you can definitely lose weight and still keep a higher fat to lean mass ratio by not cutting way down on carbs, but if you specifically want to lose body fat, then cutting carbs seems to be the way to go. Either way can still drop several sizes in clothing and have you looking better. I think cutting back on sugar and processed grains should be on everyone's list for health anyway, though.

I could care less what my weight is and that my BMI stills pegs me as overweight. Body fat and body composition are what really matters to me. I was never a low carb advocate and still think the people who shun all carbs are crazy, but cutting way back on sugar and grains has been great for me and I'm totally in the sensible low carb camp now.
  • harpere87
    harpere87 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I pretty much eat whatever I want just in smaller portions. I changed out some more whole wheat versions. I do eat more veggies and fruit than say chips or cookies now, but yes to pasta, bread, potatoes, etc!
  • Gooddaytostart
    Options
    I totally agree. I have done the Southbeach and the Atkins and in due time the weight comes back on. With being able to eat a variety here with MFP I feel more satisfied and less deprived. Moderation does work!:bigsmile:
  • bob_day
    bob_day Posts: 87
    Options
    One can lose weight on any diet whatsoever. When I was in college I once lost 10 lbs. in two weeks by cutting out meals and eating only my usual amount of snacks.