My First 10k ... Results

Options
cmw72
cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
Victory!

Not only did I meet my goal, I exceeded it by a healthy margin! The official times wont be posted until tomorrow, but I finished in about 71 minutes and change!

When I realized that there was a chance I could maybe do it in 70 minutes, I really tried to push myself, but I just didn't have any more to give at that point.

The whole experience was amazing. There were 1408 entrants, and the atmosphere was electric. The sheer volume of people was highly motivating. It was pouring down rain, but despite my fears, I didn't even notice once the race started. In fact, it just added to the whole experience. We all looked like drowned rats by the time we were done. It was like a badge of honor.

It was truly a great time, and very fulfilling. At some point I had to sit back and reflect that this was the product of the last 9.5 months of my life. All that hard work led to that single moment when I crossed the finish line. Crazy.

The only downside to the whole experience was that my nipples are chaffed raw! I didn't see that one coming! I'll have to find a solution for that before my next race. >.<

I'm looking forward to next year, and I'm keeping an eye out for races in the meantime. Looks like I'm doing a 5k for breast cancer at the end of October. Now I have my very own PR ... and a time to beat for next year! :smile:

That's about it! Thanks for all the great comments and support! It really inspired me to put forth my best effort!

:drinker:

Before:
62040_444766948845_508973845_5114452_5817269_n.jpg

Towards the end:
photo.jpg

Afterward:
photo2.jpg

That's my mother in the before and after pictures with me. It was her first time too. She just wanted to finish before they shut off the timers (105 minutes). She managed to cross the finish line right around 85 minutes!

Replies

• sjd2010
    sjd2010 Posts: 106
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happy: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Well done
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    Good job and your mom did great too! Congratulations to the both of you!!
  • ambercole
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!! I did my first 10k this year too. It was the Austin Capitol 10k.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Great job to both of you.
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Try putting bandaids over your nipples or using something similar to BodyGlide (comes in a tube similar to a solid deoderant). Many marathoners use the bandaids.
  • jennmcpherson
    jennmcpherson Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You're a rock star!
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    You are soooooo AWESOME! My first inspiration here on MFP, and look at you go and go and gone! Congrat's to our Mom also, who I know is so proud of your work!
    P.S. vasoline or lotion before hand! Hehe
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Congratulations both you and your mother. What a great story thank you for sharing.
  • Cheilsea
    Cheilsea Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! Congratulations!!!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Nice job! I second the recommendation for body glide...I put it alllll over my toes and heels when I run and it helps tonnes with blisters/chafing!
  • sessaleigh
    Options
    How cute are you and your mom!

I use body glide, too. Good stuff. I heard those tight tanks that breathe well...Armor I think they're called? work well.
  • mark3675
    Options
    Congratulations! That is definitely something to be proud of.
  • KariNich85
    Options
    How cute are you and your mom!

I use body glide, too. Good stuff. I heard those tight tanks that breathe well...Armor I think they're called? work well.

Under Armour
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you and your mom!

Karen
  • angiereid
    Options
    Congratulations to you and your mom!

Karen

my sentiments exactly
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful comments guys!

I'll pass them along to my mother!
  • jojo0909
    jojo0909 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    What a great experience to enjoy with your mom. Fantastic!:flowerforyou:
  • wvmom30
    wvmom30 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • Levahna
    Levahna Posts: 132
    Options
    Awesome job! Congratulations to you both!!! I've had friends who have finished that run...hopefully some day I'll be able to attempt it :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!