HRM and average HR

Options
I got a timex HRM because it was cheaper than most (43$) and I wanted to know my accurate calories burned. Unfortunately it's reading way too high for my liking. I went for a 20 minute bike ride, and it said I burned 327 calories. That's impossible, my average speed was only 7 mph. I cant afford to buy a more expensive one, especially after I got this one, so should I just divide the number by 3 or something? Since that seems a little more accurate.

My second problem here is, I'm 5'0 and 147 pounds, when I work out my heart rate goes as high as 197. I average 175. Is that a little too high? I read on another site that some girl's average heart rate when working out was 140-150. Should i be worried?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In respect to the calorie calculation you can probably find a number of on-line calculators to sanity check the estimate (I agree, it does sound high for a 20 minute ride at a fairly leisurely pace)

Does your HRM have a chest strap?

What type of workout are getting your heart rate that high?

Are you short of breath or feeling dizzy?

Your average HR is usually a good indicator of fitness (as is how long it takes for your HR to recover) but comparing your heart rate to someone else is comparing apples and oranges unless you've both had a stress test, have the same resting HR and VO2Max.

If you're feeling ok during your workouts I suspect that your HRM may be giving you inaccurate readings.
  • Apatheticme93
    Apatheticme93 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes it has a chest strap.

I did Jillian Micheals 30 day shred yesterday
    The bike ride today when i went up to 14mph got my heart rate up to 197.

Short on breath, yeah kinda when i'm really into it. No dizziness until i sit down afterwards and that's just because i'm exhausted, it goes away within a minute.

It seems inaccurate since I know for a fact a bike ride does not lose that many calories in under 20 minutes. It really makes no sense to me. It shouldnt be THIS inaccurate, I read the reviews and nobody mentioned this.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Yes it has a chest strap.

I did Jillian Micheals 30 day shred yesterday
    The bike ride today when i went up to 14mph got my heart rate up to 197.

Short on breath, yeah kinda when i'm really into it. No dizziness until i sit down afterwards and that's just because i'm exhausted, it goes away within a minute.

It seems inaccurate since I know for a fact a bike ride does not lose that many calories in under 20 minutes. It really makes no sense to me. It shouldn't be THIS inaccurate, I read the reviews and nobody mentioned this.

Is there any way you can borrow another unit to check your maximum and average HR? Hitting 197 while riding a bike sounds unusually high (typically your heart rate cycling will be noticeably lower than at the same perceived effort running)

Is it too late to take the HRM back?
  • Apatheticme93
    Apatheticme93 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately since i've worn it/opened it, I dont think I can return it. I got it off amazon. I dont know anyone with another HRM so there's no way to check the accuracy >< I guess I'll just have to save up for a better one.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Check your pulse with your fingers while you're on the bike for six seconds. If it's getting only up to 12, then you know your heart rate is roughly 120, so the HRM is crap. If it is crap, contact amazon and let them know you got a defective product. I do thissometimes when I think my HRM is giving bad readings (but mine - FT4 - has been pretty accurate). You are getting a high reading because if your HR really were that high you would be seriously busting your tail.