Great movies to check out on food and nutrition

Options
Hi everyone I just wanted to share some films that I watched which sort of motivated me to work on my diet and nutrition. They were "Hungry for Change" "Food Fight" and "Forks Over Knives". All 3 were really life changing and full of great information that inspired me to look a food differently. I watched all of them online via Netflix but they are all offered on various formats.

Hope these help you as much as they have helped me!

-Meg

Replies

• SistahX
    SistahX Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these films. I'll check them out next time I'm at my sister's or mom's house. My favorite food film so far is "Sick, Fat and Nearly Dead." It is also on Netflix and it totally transformed my thinking about juicing. I juice regularly now. Check it out when you have some time. It is great!
  • ewrob
    ewrob Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Forks Over Knives is a great one. Also, Food, Inc.
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Forks Over Knives is a great one. Also, Food, Inc.

Agree!

King Corn is another good one, as well as The Future of Food.
  • suecan2
    suecan2 Posts: 45
    Options
    ive seen most of those....and they certainly are eye openers. I frequent farmers markets and road side stands now a days.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Fathead

Forks over knives is OK except for claiming a diet void of animal products will fix everything. Simply getting rid of processed junk will do most of what they claimed.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Are there really that many people who think "forks over knives" is a legitimately good and trustworthy source of information on proper nutrition???
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Are there really that many people who think "forks over knives" is a legitimately good and trustworthy source of information on proper nutrition???

neckline_slimmer.jpg

TV is truth.
  • FixIngMe13
    FixIngMe13 Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Don't know, but since you are questioning it, maybe I don't want to watch it?
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. Tagged for later referal.
  • ewrob
    Options

I eat a diet very similar to the one that they suggest. (low fat, plant-based) I've lost 97 lbs in 5 1/2 months. It isn't just weight loss, either, my overall health has improved dramatically. The chest pains I was having disappeared months ago. My blood pressure is normal again. I haven't just lost weight, I am thriving.

So yes, I do think it is a legitimately good and trustworthy source of nutrition information.

There are other ways to lose weight, sure. There's also more to lifelong health than maintaining a healthy weight. Many who suffer heart attacks have "normal" cholesterol, and many who die from diseases of affluence are not obese.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    A great beginner night for people who want to learn from food documentaries would be coupling "Forks Over Knives" with "The Perfect Human Diet".
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    propaganda masquerading as fact is terrific! ...just terrific!

life_brian_dungeon.png
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options

I eat a diet very similar to the one that they suggest. (low fat, plant-based) I've lost 97 lbs in 5 1/2 months. It isn't just weight loss, either, my overall health has improved dramatically. The chest pains I was having disappeared months ago. My blood pressure is normal again. I haven't just lost weight, I am thriving.

So yes, I do think it is a legitimately good and trustworthy source of nutrition information.

There are other ways to lose weight, sure. There's also more to lifelong health than maintaining a healthy weight. Many who suffer heart attacks have "normal" cholesterol, and many who die from diseases of affluence are not obese.

Most people can get those same results eating a whole foods diet that also includes animal products. Forks over knives is just claiming a vegan lifestyle is the perfect diet for humans which I don't agree with. It is a much healthier way of eating then the typical junky western diet and if it works for you that is all good and fine but all the benefits can still be achieved without cutting out animal based foods.
  • littleone65
    littleone65 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone I just wanted to share some films that I watched which sort of motivated me to work on my diet and nutrition. They were "Hungry for Change" "Food Fight" and "Forks Over Knives". All 3 were really life changing and full of great information that inspired me to look a food differently. I watched all of them online via Netflix but they are all offered on various formats.

Hope these help you as much as they have helped me!

-Meg
  • littleone65
    littleone65 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree they very eye opening. It's scary to think what is really in our food these days. I am trying to eat more whole foods.
  • ewrob
    Options
    Most people can get those same results eating a whole foods diet that also includes animal products.

I thought that even with the dramatic lifestyle change that I have made, it would take twice as long to get where I am at today. Many obese people would love to lose 100 lbs in an entire year, let alone half that. I don't think that "most people", even most highly obese people, experience those kinds of results with the myriad of weight loss programs, diets and etc available. People will pay great sums of money, even undergo surgery to lose weight. They wont give up meat and cheese, though.

It would likely be necessary to reduce food portions or some other additional control in order to achieve the same weight loss that I have experienced. In general, animal products are more calorie dense and also contain cholesterol and more saturated and trans fats. I have no self control when it comes to food, I eat until I am full, so it is important for me to eat foods that are not calorie dense. I used to eat meals that were 1200 calories and up before adopting a plant-based diet. It would be much more difficult to eat that many calories in one sitting now. I can't even think about how it would be done without heavily relying on added oils, perhaps with a gigantic soda on the side.

This ignores any other benefits of a plant-based diet, such as lowered risk of diabetes and heart disease. These are very important benefits that are often overlooked in favor of weight loss goals.

The American diet simply contains far too much meat, eggs and dairy. Diets like the Mediterranean diet are promoted on the basis that certain populations have a long history of good long-term health on diets that include fewer processed foods and animal products with more fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes. I believe that the extent to which you adopt such a diet is the extent to which you will reap health rewards.
    Forks over knives is just claiming a vegan lifestyle is the perfect diet for humans which I don't agree with.

This isn't true, Forks Over Knives isn't claiming a vegan lifestyle is the perfect diet for humans. For one, there is scarcely a mention of veganism, because that is often an ethical choice and it is entirely possible to eat an unhealthy vegan diet. A whole foods plant-based diet is more specific than that. Even so, no one here is claiming to offer the perfect lifestyle for humans and any such claims should be eyed with extreme skepticism, no matter the source.

I do not believe that animal products are necessary or healthy for us, but I am not denying that they can be part of a healthy diet, in careful moderation. The animals should be fed their natural foods, not genetically modified grains and worse foods that they would not consume in the wild.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Most people can get those same results eating a whole foods diet that also includes animal products.

I thought that even with the dramatic lifestyle change that I have made, it would take twice as long to get where I am at today. Many obese people would love to lose 100 lbs in an entire year, let alone half that. I don't think that "most people", even most highly obese people, experience those kinds of results with the myriad of weight loss programs, diets and etc available. People will pay great sums of money, even undergo surgery to lose weight. They wont give up meat and cheese, though.

It would likely be necessary to reduce food portions or some other additional control in order to achieve the same weight loss that I have experienced. In general, animal products are more calorie dense and also contain cholesterol and more saturated and trans fats. I have no self control when it comes to food, I eat until I am full, so it is important for me to eat foods that are not calorie dense. I used to eat meals that were 1200 calories and up before adopting a plant-based diet. It would be much more difficult to eat that many calories in one sitting now. I can't even think about how it would be done without heavily relying on added oils, perhaps with a gigantic soda on the side.

This ignores any other benefits of a plant-based diet, such as lowered risk of diabetes and heart disease. These are very important benefits that are often overlooked in favor of weight loss goals.

The American diet simply contains far too much meat, eggs and dairy. Diets like the Mediterranean diet are promoted on the basis that certain populations have a long history of good long-term health on diets that include fewer processed foods and animal products with more fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes. I believe that the extent to which you adopt such a diet is the extent to which you will reap health rewards.
    Forks over knives is just claiming a vegan lifestyle is the perfect diet for humans which I don't agree with.

This isn't true, Forks Over Knives isn't claiming a vegan lifestyle is the perfect diet for humans. For one, there is scarcely a mention of veganism, because that is often an ethical choice and it is entirely possible to eat an unhealthy vegan diet. A whole foods plant-based diet is more specific than that. Even so, no one here is claiming to offer the perfect lifestyle for humans and any such claims should be eyed with extreme skepticism, no matter the source.

I do not believe that animal products are necessary or healthy for us, but I am not denying that they can be part of a healthy diet, in careful moderation. The animals should be fed their natural foods, not genetically modified grains and worse foods that they would not consume in the wild.
    Typical regurgitated plant based diet bias.............Most of the problems with the general healthy of the nation is mostly from refined grains, sugar, refined vegetable oils and trans fats all which are plant based. Remove the aforementioned ingredients with a change of perspective regarding someones overall health, with improving the quality of their overall diet, which includes animal protein along with exercise is a better fit for most people.......unfortunately this one sided, indoctrination and bias doesn't make much sense when you include science.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Heavily biased propaganda films.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I've found that if someone is making a statement about health and nutrition using a documentary/movie as the delivery system, it tends to be HEAVILY biased. If these alone are shaping your opinions about food/health/nutrition, you're selling yourself short as a thinking/rational human being.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Hungry For a Change is pretty much just a very long commercial for juicing.