Settings

Options
My Body Media armband says that I'm burning on average, 1500+ calories when I'm not active just doing my job, etc. It is higher on the weekends. My concern is that the myfitnesspal website settings for my height and weight say that I should be burning 1850 for the same time period. So, I'm finding that even with exercise I'm not getting to the baseline.

I had jimmy rigged the system to say that I was shorter, but in order to break even with my low sedentary day, I have to tell the system that I'm 3ft 6in LOL.

Somehow that just doesn't seem right. I know that my metabolism is slowed due to thyroid, etc. and my weight loss is typically half of other people doing the same program...so I'm wondering if I should just let the system be and just go with it...maybe my metabolism will increase the more I exercise?

I can't increase the thyroid medication without getting jittery, so that is not an option.

Replies

• onlinemf
    Options
    In case I wasn't clear, not venting just asking if there are any techies, or even a myfitnesspal rep, on this forum who know the system in and out and have a recommendation.

I like this system better for the food database as it has more fruit juice equivalents, which I'm consuming a lot of. I suppose I could just record the calories form this site into the Body Media site and use that for the exercise/burn tracking.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Why can't you just use the custom settings (not guided) and input the calories to whatever you want?

I have a bum thyroid, too. Do you try to stick to the tricks for maximizing thyroid function? Eat saturated fat (esp coconut oil), take your medicine with at least an hour buffer before food or vitamins, make sure you get enough iodine, limit soy and other goitrogens...that kind of stuff? I don't know if it helps appreciably or not, but I try to do it as much as I can.

The biggest thing that helped my metabolism was regular exercise, though. A little goes a longgg way and after about 6 weeks I started seeing real improvements.
  • onlinemf
    Options
    I was in the beginning, but I figure if I'm not really burning that many calories as the system indicates that the end result of the reporting won't be accurate and it will project that I should be loosing more weight than I am... I do take Cod Liver oil, and use Coconut oil for some of my cooking, but I hadn't heard that was recommended. Also, I heard that soy wasn't good, but didn't hear there was a link for thyroid. I haven't been super about taking the thyroid medication as indicated a hour before food. It seems that if I take it and wait to eat...I'm forgetting to eat or not able to right when the hour is up, and I know not eating breakfast is terrible. I suppose now that I'm working closer to home it would be easier to do this, so I will give it another try.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Enable negative calorie adjustments. That way if you burn less than mfp thinks, it will subtract the calories from your goal. You have to actively choose for negative calorie adjustments to happen. That should put your calories burned amount on an even keel from bodymedia to mfp (and vice versa).
  • onlinemf
    Options
    Thanks. I'll look for that.

I looked in the help section and it led me to HOME/SETTINGS/DIARY SETTINGS and to un check a box, which I'm not finding there. I even checked on another computer thinking the browser might be old or something.

I'll try from my work computer tomorrow.