Is this normal?

Options
My lower abdomen sticks out slightly more than the rest of my stomach, I never really noticed it before I started losing weight. I'm overweight so my stomach generally sticks out but the bottom a little more than the top. When I feel it, it doesn't feel abnormal, but it worries me. Is this something I can lose when I lose weight and exercise? I'm just curious to know if anyone else has this issue, or if anyone has resolved it.

Replies

• stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    That lower belly thing has been the bane of my existence since I was 13. I think a lot of women have the same problem. Even on fitness models and athletes, you can see that little bump just below their navel. It might look like it's carved out of stone, but it's still there.

Personally, I think it's mostly genetics. Once I lost more body fat it became much less noticeable. On me, at least, I think it's just the way my muscles are shaped. There doesn't seem to be much more fat stored there than the rest of my belly.

Stick with a good diet and plenty of exercise, and you'll know soon enough whether it'll completely disappear. Even if it doesn't ever go away, I guarantee you won't mind it as much when you reach your goal.
  • AbigailLouiseCarr
    AbigailLouiseCarr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to know it's not just me. It's not majorly obvious, only when I turn to the side, and only by a few iches. It doesn't really bother me all that much I just wanted to know that it was normal and nothing for me to worry about. I'm going to try do some core exercises to try and get rid of it :)
  • AbigailLouiseCarr
    Options
    I'm glad to know it's not just me. It's not majorly obvious, only when I turn to the side, and only by a few iches. It doesn't really bother me all that much I just wanted to know that it was normal and nothing for me to worry about. I'm going to try do some core exercises to try and get rid of it :)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    you cant spot reduce fat loss
  • AbigailLouiseCarr
    Options
    I know you can't, but it will help
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    I know you can't, but it will help

those two phrases pull in the opposite direction....
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    you cant spot reduce fat loss

^^This!

However, if you sufficiently lean out and get your body fat % low enough, it will eventually shrink or disappear. Depends on how far down the rabbit hole you wish to go...
  • AbigailLouiseCarr
    Options
    Core exercises will help me lose fat generally, which in turn will help my lower stomach...
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Core exercises will help me lose fat generally, which in turn will help my lower stomach...

i see. i figured you were thinking doing more situps or crunches would mean a flat stomach.
  • AbigailLouiseCarr
    Options
    I'm looking to lose weight and fat, not a flat stomach. Don;t worry.
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    I'm looking to lose weight and fat, not a flat stomach. Don;t worry.
    These go hand in hand. Losing weight/ reducing body fat will eventually get rid of the slight pooch that you are talking about.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Oh no, it's not just you. Like I said, you even see it on super-fit ladies. I would post a picture as an example, but all the images for 'female torso' that Google turns up are NSFW (unless you work in a place that's a-OK with artistic nudes).

I know it's frustrating because you see it every day, but it WILL shrink with diligent cardio routine and a good diet. Stability/ swiss ball exercises will strengthen your core, as well as reverse wood chops and planks. However, HIIT and good ol' cardio are your best friends for losing body fat quickly.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I've heard (aka seen on pinterest) that is isn't a fat problem, but a muscle problem. I'll put a link below to a page I've read explaining it. Unfortunately, I'm yet to test these exercises to see if its total bull**** or not, because I don't have a flat enough belly yet to see if its even a problem for me lol.

http://woldfitness.com/2011/07/one-exercise-to-end-lower-belly-pooch/
  • tasha_1306
    tasha_1306 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have that for sure. and i have a definite curve in my back. i have a dip in the middle of my back even. I reckon there's probably something wrong with my hip flexors too then.