serious questions about eating clean?

Options
What do people actually mean by 'clean'?

Does it mean you don't count calories, so long as foods fit into certain categories?

At what stage does something stop being clean?

Why do you do it? Are you worried that if you leave 'dirty' foods in your diet you will be tempted off plan? Is there another reason?

I realise a lot of people on mfp dislike this term - this thread is not for you to explain why eating clean is bad, I don't apply a 'clean' system to my diet, but I want to know what other people mean when they use the term. tnx.

Replies

• arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    "Clean" is so vague because everyone has different definitions of what it is.

For me, it's nothing processed/packaged with >5 ingredients, no added sugar/sweeteners/preservatives, only whole grain flour/rice, organic whenever possible. Basically, I eat a LOT of eggs, vegetables, beans, and nuts. I make my own bread (and want to start making crackers and tortillas!). When I go out to eat, it's usually salad or brown rice.

I still have to count calories, especially when peanut butter is involved (yumyumyum).

This is my second period of eating clean. I did it during Lent this year as a challenge, and this time I decided to do it because I got back from study abroad with 20 extra pounds that I wanted to lose, while simultaneously having to train for a half marathon. I knew that if I was running 30 miles per week, I would be starving, and eating clean allows me to eat a greater volume of food because whole, natural, unprocessed foods tend to be lower calorie (I ate 3 cups of vegetables for dinner for ~150 calories). The first two weeks after making the transition, I suffered mild headaches or migraines almost every day-- that showed me just how dependent on sugar my body had been. I feel much better (more energy, just general feeling good) eating this way. After my half, I'm going to allow more processed foods, the occasional dessert, etc., but I will certainly limit it.

This site and the book In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan basically outline my views of clean eating: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    To me, clean eating means pretty much sticking to one ingredient foods. Or, at least ingredients that you have heard of, know what they are, and can probably pick it up in another store aisle!

Also means, even though it has more calories, butter is better than margarine, or added REAL sugar is better than any artificial sweetener :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    For me, it's avoiding processed foods most of the time, eating lots of vegetables and lean proteins. Yes, we had hot dogs last night but beside them was a good slaw. Tonight's supper used boxed pasta but everything else in it was a fresh vegetable or a bit of ham I cooked myself. A hard core clean eater would say that what I do isn't clean eating but since there is no "official" definition, you get to decide what it means to you.

Almost all bread we eat is homemade. We load up about 1/2 the cart with fresh veggies every week and keep our meat consumption to a minimum. I use lots of herbs and spices which means we don't need a lot of fat or sugar to make the food tasty. I keep the "healthy eating plate" (http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/) in mind in planning our food.

This isn't all that much different from how I was cooking for us (hubby and me) before MFP but now I am keeping better track of portions and finding ways to keep the calorie load of foods low whenever possible, e.g. having roasted sweet potato fries rather than white potatoes.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Normally clean means no poo on the mushrooms.

Calories are still alive and well, because, well because, it's food.

Food stops being clean when you can still see poo.

I do it because I'm a clean freak and I don't like to eat poo. And yes if I do eat dirty, then I just want pizza and rocky road.

j/k
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" is the same as saying "toned". It doesn't mean anything officially and everyone has a different opinion of what it means to them.
  • mrjoshuablack
    Options
    For me it means no artificial anything, no processed/ refined crap like white sugar, flour etc.
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    So do people eating clean always track their calories as well?
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    To answer the last question first.. YES! track every bite.

To me (and it is different for everyone) it is eating around the edge of the store, not down the aisles. Eating food with as few ingredients as possible. I I can't pronounce it or spell it, I don't eat it. Eat organic when I can find it.

I have a few exceptions to my clean eating.. like PB2. I love peanut butter but it is too caloric. So I choose the defatted kind.

Of course sometimes I still make bad choices (dang cheetos). But, I try with all my might to keep my food as "clean" as possible.
  • Absonthebrain
    Absonthebrain Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    To me it means nothing processed, and I follow some people that eat clean strictly and they still count their cals. I feel with eating clean you can actually eat more food and feel more satisifeed versus eat something like a honey bun that has been through all kinds of processes and is not very satifying. I always feel hungry again soon after eating and does not it fill my macros adequatelty. I eat somewhat clean..
  • SJVZEE
    SJVZEE Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    What do people actually mean by 'clean'?

Does it mean you don't count calories, so long as foods fit into certain categories?

At what stage does something stop being clean?

Why do you do it? Are you worried that if you leave 'dirty' foods in your diet you will be tempted off plan? Is there another reason?

I realise a lot of people on mfp dislike this term - this thread is not for you to explain why eating clean is bad, I don't apply a 'clean' system to my diet, but I want to know what other people mean when they use the term. tnx.

I've recently transitioned to a whole foods, plant based diet. I now eat veggies and fruit, whole grains, beans, nuts and seeds and then misc. things like olives etc. As for why I've switched-I was inspired by Dr. Fuhrman's book Eat to Live, the documentary Forks over Knives etc.

Eta: I'm in maintenance and no longer trying to lose weight, though I've lost a few pounds after cutting out meat, dairy and processed foods. I'm also not on any plan right now,/not counting calories, nor did I do MFP's plan for weight loss (alternate day IF here). I'm just listening to my body's cues and eating in a way that I feel is best for me. So far I've had some short term benefits and hopefully I'll have some long term ones too :)
  • victoryaanne
    victoryaanne Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I try to stay away from processed foods.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    I cannot tell you what is means but i can tell you what it means to me.
    I cook and make most of what i eat from scratch, i.e. Flour i bake, veggies i wash and cut, beans i bought dry etc etc.
    I also eat as much organic food as i can afford and meat is always lean and organic.
    It takes a long time, shopping at different locations then making the meals. But with the right organisation and freezing, it can be done.
  • Kaatt8
    Kaatt8 Posts: 3
    Options
    Clean - Meaning no toxins or chemicals.
    Often this can be organic foods but in recent decades even organic foods have chemicals and pestercides in them from their seeds etc. No food is really "clean" anymore, but go for your freerange, organic and natural foods as much as you can! There are also products such as Isagenix which takes out the chemicals and toxins in your body and replaces it with pure natural clean nutrients etc that you dont get from normal food anymore :)