Vacation.....ugh

So in a few short hours I will be embarking on an all inclusive short vacation to riviera maya, Mexico. I have mixed emotions as usual with stepping out of my comfort zone with eating and relaxing. It's only for four days. I tell myself that it will be okay. I'm fully prepared to excercise that's not a problem. But obviously I'm not going to be able to stick to my usual diet but I will try and make good choices. I need some support from my mfp family.

Replies

• Life is about balance...I am very controlled in my spending, but when I go on vacation I make the conscious decision that I'm going to not track how much I'm spending, as this would ruin my experience (you want how much for that!?!). I have an overall budget for the vacation that's fairly generous, and then I just go with the flow. If you are doing good meeting your diet and exercise goals throughout the year, take this opportunity to let go for a few days and enjoy yourself. There will be plenty of opportunity to get back to the daily routine next week (I'm assuming you're not taking vacations like this every month or two). If you can't enjoy yourself, what is the point of a vacation? I would be willing to bet you maintain your fitness so you can enjoy a longer, healthier life. That should include some down time now and then in my opinion. Just be sure you're committed that once you come home it's immediately back to your regular routine. Hope that helps, and have fun!
  • digit0la
    digit0la Posts: 2 Member
    I will also be leaving on vacation soon. I agree with the following post and have decided that I am not going to be over obsessive. I certaintly don't want to ruin others fun by insisting we only eat at Subway...... I am also nervous since this will be the first time on my diet that I have been outside of my routine and I have been successful thus far. I think the best way to go about it is to have a loose plan. For instance, I am going to try to choose activities that are more physically demanding and that will burn more calories. Although I won't be able to control where we eat, I can still try and choose the healthiest options available. Or in the worst case scenario if there are no healthy options, I can always control the portion size. Try to stick with your diet the best you can, but don't let it consume your vacation. I think the scariest thing about vacation/dieting is that you lose a measure of control over your surroundings. BTW, I have vacationed in Mexico many times and you shouldn't find it hard to find healthy options. Just avoid the touristy food places and you will be fine. Have fun! :-)
  • I am no vacation now, well at least for one more day.
    It could not have come at a 'worse' time in terms of my diet plan/new lifestyle/getting a grip, as i started MFP one month ago precisely and had lost 2 kgs after 3 weeks.
    I should also mention that my beau and I are foodies. We choose vacation spots *for* the star restaurants and are always eager to try local foods.
    I can tell you that i know i am eating way over my cal limit. Sure, we walk around all day, either visiting cities or hiking on the country side. But i know No amount of walking is making up for the wine, the cheeses, the 7-course meals we've had.
    We work all year round to get 4 or 5 measle days of 'fresh air' and 'care free' time. I'll be damned if i don't enjoy very second of it! And if i don't feel pleasure for each cal i'm eating.
    Steamed fish and broccoli is for when i get back!
    Enjoy yourself, do a little 'damage control', do some exercise. We only live once, right?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    I'm going on a 15-day cruise in October. I plan to work out in the onboard gym, eat all the things, and do damage control when I get home. Some things are just worth it.
  • shanteel612
    shanteel612 Posts: 434 Member
    Make ure you eat a salad, once or moe for day. Do not have dessert with every meal. Try to select the lesser of 2evils when eating. Don't be to strict on yourself because you wanna enjoy your vacation but do not eat so much that you feel regretful right after ur meal.
  • anewlife1980
    anewlife1980 Posts: 225 Member
    You will be fine, esp if you get in the exercise!! I just did a 5 day vacay where lunch every single day was out of my hands, it had to be eaten at a restaurant somewhere & healthy options were VERY limited. But breakfast & supper were in my control as well as snacks. I allowed myself a treat each day but didn't go over board (1.5 smores vs the box, ice cream once a day & only twice in total). We did a ton of walking every day while sight seeing & my weigh in after we got back I was down 3lbs! Just do the best you can & enjoy yourself.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Honestly, it is just four days. Use what you have learned so far and apply it. Exercise, make smart choices when choosing meals, watch your alcohol intake, but above all else enjoy your vacation. Life is going to put you in uncomfortable situations, but you need to learn to continue to live life and enjoy even if conditions are not perfect.

I just got back from vacation myself. We went to the beach so I knew exercise wouldn't be a problem. We walked almost evertwhere, we swam in the ocean a lot and I ran on the beach at night. I did research on the restaurants around them and made smart choices ( grilled fish or chicken with veggies, rice or salad ). Above all that it was freeing to actually be able to enjoy a vaction without the worry of food and calories. I weighed this morning and didn't gain an once.