Nausea after eating eggs.

Options
I've noticed that whenever I eat just eggs for breakfast, I become very nauseous afterwards. Normally, I would have a piece of toast with an egg, but when I have 2 eggs by themselves I experience these symptoms. This doesn't happen with any other foods I seem to consume and has me confused as to what is wrong with me. I know eggs are a great source of protein, but perhaps two in the morning is too much? What do you guys think?

Replies

• Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I eat two every morning, with a piece of toast. Seems like the perfect breakfast to me. However, what is right for me isn't necessarily right for you.
  • RubyRunner14
    RubyRunner14 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I get very sharp headaches after eating eggs. You probably have an intolerance or allergy at most. I also become nauseated if I drink too much water with breakfast or the pan I cook my food had a little too much oil/grease in it.

I know that foods I have an intolerance to I can tolerate if another food is mixed in with it (example: I can eat a sandwich with mayo on the bun, but eating mayo (egg product) straight and I'm a wreck).
  • mirrinias
    mirrinias Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I get nauseous after eating eggs too. I think it's psychological, though, because I don't like eggs.

Of course, it could be that I don't like eggs because they've always made me nauseous.
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I experience this if I eat more than 1.5 eggs. I also cannot handle most dairy.

To get around it, I cook three eggs and divide them with my egg loving son.

I have also found I can eat a much larger quantity of egg whites than whole eggs. If I make my guys Alfredo for dinner I save the whites for a big whites omelette for my breakfast.
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid I got what I called "egg burps". When I ate an egg, I would burp and it would taste like eggs and I would throw it up. Gross, I know.

As I've gotten older, I really enjoy eggs. Maybe you do have an allergy to them. Maybe I did. Mild allergies can change every few years. I also used to be allergic to shrimp around the same age but now I eat them without trouble.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Skip the eggs and eat more ice cream:)
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Egg burps? OMG

1314011768_talking_fried_egg.gif
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Egg burps? OMG

1314011768_talking_fried_egg.gif

Shoot, now whenever I eat sunny side up eggs, I'm always gnna remember this.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    You add oil or anything when you cook them? I would try ruling that out as well just to be thorough. Some people do have an egg sensitivity. Many that do an handle egg whites just fine.
  • Lizajayne23
    Lizajayne23 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The beginnings of an egg allergy? Mine started that way and has gotten worse over the years and now it's really bad. I can manage a little egg in chicken salad, dressing, or in baked goods without too noticeable an effect, but no hard-boiled eggs, egg salad, scrambled eggs, or any egg as the main component, even with bread or other foods, otherwise I'm in for hours of nausea, cramps, and worse.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Omelets used to make me nauseous for some reason too. Then it stopped. Don't ask me why...
  • Snickers88q
    Snickers88q Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I always used to get nauseous after eating eggs. Then I figured it out! It wasn't me at all, but the eggs I was eating! There was a news report not long ago about eggs and how stores don't store them at the proper temperature. It's the salmonella that's making you sick. I started buying farm fresh eggs, and wouldn't you know it? I don't get sick anymore. I work with a girl that had the same problem, and I told her about farm fresh eggs, she was hesitant, so I offered to bring her in a dozen to try. She came back to work on Monday morning so excited because she can eat eggs again and not get sick!

A neighbor of mine is an old time farmer. He explained to me how it all works. He said the eggs that big chain grocery stores sell go through a rigorous cleaning process. This strips the eggs of the invisible coating from when it's layed by the chicken, and eggs are pourous, so without that coating, germs get into the egg, causing salmonella, esp. if they aren't refrigerated at the right temp, making some people sick.

The eggs that I get from my local backyard farmer are not as "clean" as the store bought eggs. They certainly aren't gross, there's no chicken poop on them or anything like that, but they're not sterilized to the point that that protective coating is gone. My farmer friend said eggs that retain that coating can actually stay out of refrigeration for weeks and still be good. You don't eat the shell anyway, so it's all good! And I haven't had an upset stomache from eggs in years. :)
  • missyahall2
    missyahall2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I get very sharp headaches after eating eggs. You probably have an intolerance or allergy at most. I also become nauseated if I drink too much water with breakfast or the pan I cook my food had a little too much oil/grease in it.

I know that foods I have an intolerance to I can tolerate if another food is mixed in with it (example: I can eat a sandwich with mayo on the bun, but eating mayo (egg product) straight and I'm a wreck).

+1 this
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that whenever I eat just eggs for breakfast, I become very nauseous afterwards. Normally, I would have a piece of toast with an egg, but when I have 2 eggs by themselves I experience these symptoms. This doesn't happen with any other foods I seem to consume and has me confused as to what is wrong with me. I know eggs are a great source of protein, but perhaps two in the morning is too much? What do you guys think?
    Does this happen any time you eat eggs or just early morning? I know I don't feel great when I eat certain things too early in the morning but eggs for dinner don't bother me (Unless I have more than 2, for some reason I can't eat more than two eggs no matter how hungry I am).

Or you could just have them with Bacon. Does that fix the problem? :)
  • gaspy002
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of eggs for dinner before I got married. I can't eat them in the morning though unless they are over easy. Hard boiled and scrambled make me throw up in the morning. Can eat them like that any other time of the day though. Weird.
  • MaiLinna
    MaiLinna Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I can eat egg beaters with no problem at all. I love deviled eggs, but the hard albumen makes me sick as a dog. I could scoop out the yolk mixture and eat it all day though.

I also love runny yolks on toast. Eating the rest of the egg makes me sick though, as does the smell of cooking eggs. Uuuuuuugggghhh...yuck I hate that smell.