Question for runners about pain

Options
I did my first half marathon yesterday and although I never got winded or tired, the pain in my legs (knees, quads, calves, feet) was significant and lasted for the remainder of the day.

I have been running for 10 months (3x week - about 3-4 miles each time), and up until yesterday my longest training run was 7 1/2 miles. My pain started hitting home around mile eight.

I have no plans to run another half, but look forward to running 5k and 10k races. I just don't feel the need to run long enough to experience that pain again.

My question to runners:

Did you experience pain after your first long runs??
Did it get better with additional long runs?? Stay the same?? I don't run long anymore??

Replies

• Sally749
    Options
    You are probably in pain because that is a huge difference to go from 7 1/2 miles to 13. Im sure the pain will subside, but you probably have done a little bit of damage because that was a huge jump in miles.

Hang in there and don't quit running but you will most likely need to take a couple weeks off.

Congratulations on completing 1/2 a marathon, you should be proud!!!!:wink:
  • DavefromPhilly
    Options
    Congrats on the first half marathon! I agree with Sally. You probably are feeling a lot of pain because of the huge jump up in the mileage. In the future, if you want to run another half marathon, gradually roll the mileage up over time Before you run the half, your highest run should be roughly 10-11 miles.

Also, definitely give yourself a break, and use some ice on the knees and legs after you go out and run. It will be a big help!

Once again, congrats!
  • NavySailor
    NavySailor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    First of all great job in finishing the Half, that is something to very proud of. That being said, running 3 times per week at 3 to 4 miles per run puts you between 9 and 12 miles per week...with a long run of 7.5 miles that unfortunately tells me that you were drastically undertrained for the half marathon. I wouldn't even think about running a half without a long run of 10 or so miles thrown in there somewhere. The pain you experienced is relatively normal however yours might have been worse simply due to the fact that you put your body through so much stress without the proper amount of training. So lets go ahead and answer your questions..

Did you experience pain after your first long runs? Yes
    Did it get better with additional long runs? Yes
    Stay the same? No

I don't see why you don't want to run long anymore? If you train correctly and put in the amount of time required running a half marathon will be much easier. That said, if you plan on running 5K's and 10K's, the training for those types of races is completely different...

Good luck no matter what you do and keep running :)
  • NavySailor
    NavySailor Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Great question Wendy!!! I relate "twinges" to relatively normal aches and pains that go with running...running at times hurts and over the past 2.5 years I have had my fair share of twinges...It is reasonable to expect some joint pain at times however if the pain becomes persistent, and does NOT go away even when not exercising you should probably go see an orthopedic DR. Often times the ligaments and the tendons and the muscles need significant time to get used to the impact of running...I feel it once in a while when I overdue it. The best gauge is you, you need to determine if the pain is just too much to handle and if it is, you need to rest it.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you did not train enough long runs before the 1/2 marathon and your body didn't like that...conventional wisdom says you should have had at least one 10-11 miler under your belt before the 1/2...you can certainly train for a 12 again without the pain if you follow a good plan and do enough.
    Training for endurance events is about training your body to take the impact etc as much as it the "wind" to do the race.