Weight up but measurements the same

Options
Hi all!

I have finished the C25K plan (go me!) and weighed 61kg when I started. 10 weeks on and I am running more seriously (30-35mins continuously 4x p/w). I now weigh in at 62.5kg so have gained about 1.5kg since the beg of June. However, my measurments are pretty much the same (36/28/35).

Although not freaking out, I am wondering if anyone thinks this could be a reasonable muscle gain? I have been cautious with not overeating but ensuring I eat my exercise calories on running days because I have been much more hungry. Besides, i need to lose weight, I just want to maintain my weight. What are peoples thoughts on this 1.5kg gain? Would really appreciate some input! :D

Replies

• scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Are you eating at a deficit?
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Muscle does weigh heavier than fat.
  • the_snappy_croc
    the_snappy_croc Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Muscle does weigh heavier than fat.

Yes I know that! But to what extent can you build 1.5kg of muscle from running in 10 weeks?!!!
  • the_snappy_croc
    Options

Nope. Average 2000kcal per day on non-running days, then eat about an extra 300 on running days.
  • scottaworley
    Options

Nope. Average 2000kcal per day on non-running days, then eat about an extra 300 on running days.

Not sure what your TDEE is, but you could theoretically build muscle if you're eating at a surplus and running. Do you measure your legs?
  • the_snappy_croc
    Options
    What's a TDEE? I measured my thighs. They are 20inches and have been so for ages, even at 61kg. They do feel a bit tighter, although I'm never 100% sure what's real and what's psychological!
  • the_snappy_croc
    Options

Not sure what your TDEE is, but you could theoretically build muscle if you're eating at a surplus and running. Do you measure your legs?

What's a TDEE? I measured my thighs. They are 20inches and have been so for ages, even at 61kg. They do feel a bit tighter, although I'm never 100% sure what's real and what's psychological!
  • scottaworley
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

This will calculate your TDEE.
    TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. It is how many calories you burn in a day.
    Eat at a surplus - gain weight (fat or muscle)
    Eat at a deficit - lose weight (fat and muscle)
  • the_snappy_croc
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

This will calculate your TDEE.
    TDEE = total daily energy expenditure. It is how many calories you burn in a day.
    Eat at a surplus - gain weight (fat or muscle)
    Eat at a deficit - lose weight (fat and muscle)

It says 1956 which is about right. I am eating about 2000 on non-run days
  • scottaworley
    Options
    You really shouldn't have gained even half a kg. 7700 calories = 1 kg. Based on my calculations (50 cal/day x 8 weeks) you only have a surplus of 2800 calories.
    This is likely just a fluctuation.

ETA: Forgot that you eat more on running days, giving you a weekly surplus of 1550 and an overall surplus of 12400. This is 1.6 kg. It's likely largely lean gains if your measurements haven't changed :).
  • the_snappy_croc
    Options
    You really shouldn't have gained even half a kg. 7700 calories = 1 kg. Based on my calculations (50 cal/day x 8 weeks) you only have a surplus of 2800 calories.

Exactly! So going back to my initial question, how likely is it that this is muscle gain in 10 weeks???
  • scottaworley
    Options

Exactly! So going back to my initial question, how likely is it that this is muscle gain in 10 weeks???

See my edit :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I have finished the C25K plan (go me!) and weighed 61kg when I started. 10 weeks on and I am running more seriously (30-35mins continuously 4x p/w). I now weigh in at 62.5kg so have gained about 1.5kg since the beg of June. However, my measurments are pretty much the same (36/28/35).

Although not freaking out, I am wondering if anyone thinks this could be a reasonable muscle gain? I have been cautious with not overeating but ensuring I eat my exercise calories on running days because I have been much more hungry. Besides, i need to lose weight, I just want to maintain my weight. What are peoples thoughts on this 1.5kg gain? Would really appreciate some input! :D

I wouldn't worry too much about the 1.5kg you "gained". It could be muscle, it could be weight gain, or needing to go to the bathroom.
  • the_snappy_croc
    Options

ETA: Forgot that you eat more on running days, giving you a weekly surplus of 1550 and an overall surplus of 12400. This is 1.6 kg. It's likely largely lean gains if your measurements haven't changed :).

I don't understand. How can it be a surplus if I've burned it off? Surely its just "breaking even"?
  • scottaworley
    Options

I don't understand. How can it be a surplus if I've burned it off? Surely its just "breaking even"?

Your TDEE is roughly 1950. This includes your exercise, and you do not eat those calories back. You already eat 50 calories over your maintenance weight (2000 in - 1950 out). This will lead to very, very slow weight gain. If you eat an additional 400 calories three days a week then you are at a surplus of 1550 per week. ([50 x 7] + [400 x 3]). This is an 8 week surplus of 12400. Where 1 kg = 7700 calories a surplus of 12400 = roughly 1.6 kg.

ETA: My conclusion that this is mostly lean gains comes from the very slow rate at which you put the weight on and assumes a diet that is fairly optimal for anabolism. There is no way to really tell without calculating your body fat.
  • the_snappy_croc
    Options

Your TDEE is roughly 1950. This includes your exercise, and you do not eat those calories back. You already eat 50 calories over your maintenance weight (2000 in - 1950 out). This will lead to very, very slow weight gain. If you eat an additional 400 calories three days a week then you are at a surplus of 1550 per week. ([50 x 7] + [400 x 3]). This is an 8 week surplus of 12400. Where 1 kg = 7700 calories a surplus of 12400 = roughly 1.6 kg.

ETA: My conclusion that this is mostly lean gains comes from the very slow rate at which you put the weight on and assumes a diet that is fairly optimal for anabolism. There is no way to really tell without calculating your body fat.

This is a very exact equation. You're basing this on me eating an extrra 50 kcals a day but that's assuming that my calories counting is 100% accurate (and so are the labels). It dont beleive its the exact science you're explaining it be...what if I move around slightly more at work and therefore end up inadvertently burning those 'extra' 50 kcals? I eat an average, not an exact sciene as I am not a machine.

Thanks for your help but I think maybe you're over thinking this an an exact science. None of us know 100% how much we consume and burn - there's not way of knowing we make suppositions based on what manufactures say and what activity we do.

Also my suplus is being burned so I cant be "carrying" 12400kcals - they've been used up!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I say no chance you put on 1.5kg (over 3lbs) of muscle on just running.

How are you estimating your calories burned?
  • the_snappy_croc
    Options
    I say no chance you put on 1.5kg (over 3lbs) of muscle on just running.

How are you estimating your calories burned?

Not estimating: counting. Weighing, measuring. However, I was trying to illustrate above that although I may think I am accurate, I dont know how quickly/slowly my body is burning a calorie compared to you, for example. We are not all the same. So how can this weight "gain" be explained? Muscle AND water? It's so easy to assume I am overeating but is there something else we're missing here?
  • amanda9402
    amanda9402 Posts: 64 Member
    Options

This is a very exact equation. You're basing this on me eating an extrra 50 kcals a day but that's assuming that my calories counting is 100% accurate (and so are the labels). It dont beleive its the exact science you're explaining it be...what if I move around slightly more at work and therefore end up inadvertently burning those 'extra' 50 kcals? I eat an average, not an exact sciene as I am not a machine.

Thanks for your help but I think maybe you're over thinking this an an exact science. None of us know 100% how much we consume and burn - there's not way of knowing we make suppositions based on what manufactures say and what activity we do.

Also my suplus is being burned so I cant be "carrying" 12400kcals - they've been used up!

I think scottaworley was right here - the Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) calculation gives you a value of what how many calories burned on average each day, and that total includes the running you do - that's why it asks how often you exercise (and I am assuming you picked the 3 or 4 times a week option). You don't get a surplus on top of that to "eat back" on rn days because it's already built in.

If you want to maintain your weight, you should eat at your TDEE every day, including the days you exercise (and don't eat more on those days). If you need more food on days you run, you should trim calories on non-workout days to keep your daily average around the 1950.
  • the_snappy_croc
    Options

I think scottaworley was right here - the Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) calculation gives you a value of what how many calories burned on average each day, and that total includes the running you do - that's why it asks how often you exercise (and I am assuming you picked the 3 or 4 times a week option). You don't get a surplus on top of that to "eat back" on rn days because it's already built in.

If you want to maintain your weight, you should eat at your TDEE every day, including the days you exercise (and don't eat more on those days). If you need more food on days you run, you should trim calories on non-workout days to keep your daily average around the 1950.

BUT I dont need to lose weight. I have a BMI of 22 and for a woman of my age, height and weight and professionals say one should not be eating less than about 1950-2000 regardless of exercise. 1950 - the 400+/- burned from exercise would mean 1550. I have never eaten that. I have stayed at 61kg for the past year eating 2000cals a day. The only thing to have changed is MORE exercise, hence me asking about the weight gain!