Running shoes / running plan

Options
Hi all i have just started running outside has anybody got any ideas on a good but cheap make of running shoes also can anyone help me with a running plan like i said just started today did just over a 1 1/4 miles in just over 11 1/2 mins I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Replies

• GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    1. read this.
    http://www.fitfaqs.co.uk/questions/running-and-marathon-faqs/what-is-my-running-gait/

2. get your gait checked out.

3. buy appropriate shoes.

4. stay injury free
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Don't cheap out on your running shoes. The right shoes for me might be the totally wrong shoe for you. Go to a specialty running store and get fitted. They will make recommendations for you based on how you run. They will be expensive, but it's an investment in your long term health and wellness.
  • Frankii_x
    Frankii_x Posts: 238
    Options
    My advice - don't buy cheap running shoes. As the guys above have said, it depends how you run etc so get your gait analysed. I've heard a lot of people have great success with C25k so that might well be worth a look at :) I wish I'd have known about it when I started running!
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Agreed on the running shoes. Go somewhere and have your gait checked and select shoes based on that. I didn't do that when I started running and ended up with hip problems and pain that was resolved once I started stretching and got into the right shoes with the right support.
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Nike tends to be pretty reliable with any of there running trainers :)

Also a great plan if you are starting out is to just aim for a certain amount of miles and gradually increase you milage every week.

I.e if you ran 1 1/4 miles this week on next weeks run up that to 1 3/4 miles.

Use gradual increases as if you try to hard you will end up tiring yourself to the point of not keeping consistent.

Try running around 2/3 times per week (at the same distance), this will increase your fitness and endurance in order to increase your miles on the following week :)
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Thats what worked for me, and it is similar to what I am currently following for my half marathon, so hope it works for you!
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into starting programs for jogging myself (not something I ever thought I would be doing due to my asthma) the one that seems most popular is C25K. Here is a link to some podrunner interval mp3's that have all the plans from 5k to through 8k to 10k I hope that is useful in some way and the very best of luck to you! As for shoes I'm afraid I cannot be of any help at all as I'm barefoot or Xero's / minimal at all times lol.

http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    Cheap clothes, cheap watches, cheap HRM ok but no no no not cheap shoes.

C25k apparently is good, personally I just started off slow and stay on my own but we're all different.
  • Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Cheap clothes, cheap watches, cheap HRM ok but no no no not cheap shoes.

C25k apparently is good, personally I just started off slow and stay on my own but we're all different.

^ This.

I'm on my last week of C25K... great app. Don't cheap out on your shoes though. You are just asking for trouble there.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    In absolute agreement with everyone who emphasized the importance of gait analysis and being fitted with good shoes.

The money you think you'll be saving by buying cheap shoes you'll be spending 10-fold in physio!!!
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Just checked... you're in Brockworth and I know Gloucestershire a bit... I would either go to Up & Running in Cheltenham.....

http://www.upandrunning.co.uk/cheltenham

Or to Gloucester Sports in Gloucester.... http://www.gloucestersports.com/
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Up and Running are great. I've had Asics in the past which have lasted well and am now onto Brooks - very light, very comfortable and have helped me improve distance.

Get an App on your phone like RunKeeper and you can set yourself goals and even a training plan to help you get there. And it syncs with MFP.
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    As everyone else says, cheap shoes are a bad idea...

I am just starting out as well. I went to a store and got fitted. It wasn't a running store. But there was a guy in there who knew what he was doing and he found shoes that fit amazingly...I've been wearing them for three days now, the my knee and foot pain I was having before are almost non-existent now.

The good thing is your timing. It is the season for back-to-school shopping, and if you look around, you can find some great deals. I got two pairs of shoes for $150.
  • VasylP
    VasylP Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else regarding the shoes. We have all heard the idiom, "Penny wise and pound foolish!' This applies to the shoes you end up selecting and spending money on. Improper shoe selection can lead to problems further down the road as someone above has mentioned. Years ago I had success with both Nike and New Balance shoes both in terms of support provided and longevity of the product. I've been wearing ASICS for about the last nine months, first primarily for just on the treadmill but I had long term goals when I bought them. Now that I have shed over fifty pounds I have taken the walk/jog outside under the open sky. I managed to find them at half the regular price, so I can't complain, but spending the €120 full price would have also been worth the investment.

Have a read of this article on buying the ideal running shoe: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-shoes/how-buy-right-running-shoes

Regarding a plan for training, not only will you want to stick to something that will build your endurance, but also that will give you the strength you need to get away of from the dog that decides to chase you are the inattentive motorist or cyclist. But all that in due time. Find something you are comfortable with and don't over exert yourself as the can lead to injury just as much as making the bad purchase selection. While I'm still not running a complete 6km I have improved on my time buy doing simple things, that I will share with you.

Use street light posts as mile stones, the are usually equidistant from one another. If one time you could only jog or run on occasion, try to go the length between two different posts, the next time, you go out, try to mix it up and jog the distance between of two of those light posts.

Make sure you warm up adequately and stretch, both before and after, it will make a difference in the long run and help prevent injuries. I hope this helps. Have fun, stay safe and make yourself better every day!
  • Erinalynn88
    Options
    Asics are the best, especially if you are worried about protecting your knees. I recommend Asics Gel Nimbus. New Balance are also good. Good shoes are surprisingly important to your running experience and can last you years so I would save some money for the right ones. I would set a mileage goal per week that you raise incrementally as your fitness increases. Stretch after runs!
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Asics are the best, especially if you are worried about protecting your knees. I recommend Asics Gel Nimbus.

How can you even say that when you know sweet naff all about this guys feet???

The Nimbus is a neutral cushioned shoe. If he has flat feet requiring stability, or God forbid motion control, then your 'smart' piece of advice would downright cripple him!!!

With running shoes you can never assume that something which works for you works for someone else.
  • bubbles2693
    bubbles2693 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    A big thank you to all you guys for your invaluable help and suggestions really appreciated

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • chard_muncher
    chard_muncher Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    1. Go to specialty running store.
    2. Buy expensive new running shoes to alleviate soreness and/or injury.
    3. Get injured.
    4. Repeat.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    1. Go to specialty running store.
    2. Buy expensive new running shoes to alleviate soreness and/or injury.
    3. Get injured.
    4. Repeat.

Injuries come from over training. You can over train in the right or the wrong shoe, you will just get injured faster in the wrong shoe.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    There are so many things you can spend your money on as a runner but if there is one thing that you need and you should never cheap out on, it's shoes. You'll likely need to spend $100-160 on them and to make sure you spend that money wisely, get properly fitted at a running specialty store. That is where you start. Worry about everything else after.