Help! Can't seem to get enough protein

Options
I have been lifting for a little over a week now and have changed my macros to reflect 30% protein. I am having a real hard time meeting that amout of protein and staying within my calories. Shakes are high in calories so I try to limit one per day. That leaves me with a ton of left over protein to eat and my meals doen't seem to cut it. Anyone have any suggestions that would help me get more protein thoughout the day with out putting my calories over the edge? (currently set at 1,941 cals a day)

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Any kind of lean meat is going to be your best bet. 4 oz of chicken breast has about 120 calories and 25ish grams of protein. Turkey breast is about the same. When I need more protein and I don't have room for the carbs in a protein shake (from fruit), I just eat more meat at dinner.

You just need to plan out your meals in advance until you get a better feel for how much protein is in the various foods you eat.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    You might not need 30%... it should really be a set number, rather than a percentage. If you know your body fat %, you can figure out your LBM and eat 1g per pound of LBM (for me that's only 25%). If I'm not eating high protein meats that day, I'll do both, a shake, and a bar to get me where I need to be. I use a protein yogurt in the shake to give me an extra 10g or so (they have some with only 100 calories). Otherwise, jerky is a good source. It's around 80 calories for 12-14g.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,011 Member
    Options
    Any kind of lean meat is going to be your best bet. 4 oz of chicken breast has about 120 calories and 25ish grams of protein. Turkey breast is about the same. When I need more protein and I don't have room for the carbs in a protein shake (from fruit), I just eat more meat at dinner.

You just need to plan out your meals in advance until you get a better feel for how much protein is in the various foods you eat.
    4 ounces of talapia is also around 22g's of protein for just under 100 cals.
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I substitute vanilla protein powder mixed with almond milk in place of cream in my coffee. It's basically the same calories and loaded with protein. I had a lot of trouble getting enough protein, too, but you'll get used to it. :-)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this also. I eat meat, but I have a hard time eating large portions of it. Bumping to see suggestions.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    Shakes aren't high in calories for what you get in protein. At least most shakes you mix yourself.

But as said above, meats like chicken/turkey are good. Also, eggs. A few eggs for breakfast will go a long way.

Also, instead of going for 30%, aim for roughly 1g of protein per pound of body weight. Then average out the rest of your calories after that. You don't want to eat TOO much protein. If you're going super heavy, maybe up it to 1.25g per pound, or 1.5 at most.
  • DiaryofaFitMommy
    Options
    Powders?
  • petitebunny
    Options
    One lean meat option i can think of is entrecôte. it's made from cow and has about 200 calories in it and a lot of proteins. Or you could also try quinoa or couscous or bulgur. Eggs are also a good option. Good luck :)
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    non-fat greek yogurt is high in protein and low in calories. My protein intake would be a fail without the stuff. :-p
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt ,and the protein powders added to your yogurt or oatmeal. A small steak for your snack.
  • mararabb
    mararabb Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you want to add more protein drinks, but the Syntrax powders mix nicely with water and are only 100 calories per scoop. I drink 2 or 3 of them a day.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1,400 calories - I have 2 protein shakes, chicken for lunch and fish for dinner - today i'm at 161g protein :) but this of course includes the small amount of protein my oats, vegetables and milk.

Edited to add that my shakes are 98 calories each and include 21g of protein each.
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My go to protein foods are eggs (I started adding a hard boiled egg to my regular breakfast), greek yogurt (for the off brands Kroger tastes good and has about 16g in some of the flavors), almonds, low fat cottage cheese, grilled chicken (I like to add low fat sour cream and picante sauce for flavor), grilled tilapia, steamed shrimp, tuna, peanut butter (I like to eat some on a rice cake or toast or english muffin), and I've also rolled up a slice of cheese with turkey or baked chicken for a snack.
  • phieaglefan
    phieaglefan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I too, have just started lifting and am concentrating on upping my protein. Try adding some meat to breakfast. The other morning I had some chicken breast. Other more traditional days, I add some crumbled turkey sausage to my omelet.

I find if I concentrate on my protein, the rest just falls into place. Also, the days when I'm best at my protein, I'm the least hungry and therefore don't want as many sweets or starchy carbs.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, and meats are a big source of protein for me. I like Quest bars too. They have a lot of protein and fiber and are very filling for their 170-210 calorie range.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have trouble making myself eat protein. Here's what I do:

I eat 6-7 ounces of meat with dinner instead of 4 ounces (sounds simple but it helps a lot)
    I eat a cup of cottage cheese every day-- 180 calories, 24 grams of protein and a good option if you're not crazy about meat, which I'm not.
    I eat greek yogurt pretty much every day-- 130 calories, 12 grams of protein
    I stock up on veggies/beans that have protein. It's not a lot but lima beans, green peas, and broccoli all have a few grams
    Ice cream! 1 cup of ice cream only has about 6 grams of protein, but it's something and it'll put me over the edge if I'm close to my goal but not quite there.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    I'm just n'thing the Greek Yogurt. Great source of protein and calcium, and it's good and filling.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, and meats are a big source of protein for me. I like Quest bars too. They have a lot of protein and fiber and are very filling for their 170-210 calorie range.

Quest bars are delicious. I can't afford them on a regularly basis but I have tried a few. I'd recommend going to the store and trying several flavors though. I didn't care for strawberry cheesecake but loved the cookie dough and brownie.
  • veg_runner
    veg_runner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to each so much protein? Excess protein (especially and almost exclusively protein from animal sources) causes liver damage among other things. Optimum range is 5-12%, 15% if you really think you need it even for someone looking to put on muslce. At the end of the day, if you want more muscle, go lift heavy things.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting for a little over a week now and have changed my macros to reflect 30% protein. I am having a real hard time meeting that amout of protein and staying within my calories. Shakes are high in calories so I try to limit one per day. That leaves me with a ton of left over protein to eat and my meals doen't seem to cut it. Anyone have any suggestions that would help me get more protein thoughout the day with out putting my calories over the edge? (currently set at 1,941 cals a day)

Eggs for breakfast, Greek Yogurt replacing sour cream or regular yogurt, and Lean Meats (turkey, chicken, fish), are a huge help!

The powerbar with 20g of protein peanut butter isn't terrible tasting, but probably not as bio-available as some other proteins.... 210 calories.