HELP!! and advice!!!

Options
Hi everyone,

I need some honest opinions and help! I've been a member of MFP for approximately a month + now, and most recently started Jillian Michaels Body Revolution - finished Workouts 1 & 2 for Phase 1 and starting Workouts 3 & 4 in a couple of days.

My weight has yo-yo'd between 225 and 221 for a REALLY long time, for instance last week I started at 225lb after my birthday weekend and with the help of Jillian lost 3.6lbs...I thought GREAT it's going down keep at it.....well I jumped on the scale this morning and I am at 225.2lbs!!! SOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!

Can someone please take a look at my dairy and give me some feedback on what I should do differently? Please be aware that I don't cut out everything from my diet - I am a carb lover and always will be!

Thanks in advance

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    your diary isnt open
  • lynn_miller15
    lynn_miller15 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    sorry I'll open it. I thought I had made it public. Oops!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    i dont think you necessarily need to do anything differently, though i would change your macros so you are getting more protein, and maybe add some more fruit and veg to your meals.

other than that you just have to be patient, if you are weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink accurately then you will lose weight on the amount you're eating.

also consider whether your weight fluctuations are related to TOM?
  • lynn_miller15
    Options
    Nope - unfortunately my TOM isn't for another 2 weeks.

What would you suggest I should set my macros at for protein? Someone mentioned that my sugar should be lower - would you recommend that also? If so to what??
  • lynn_miller15
    Options
    anyone else??? :) I thought I would get lots of people with advice....
  • TavistockToad
    Options

What would you suggest I should set my macros at for protein? Someone mentioned that my sugar should be lower - would you recommend that also? If so to what??

to maintain muscle while you're losing weight its recommended that you eat plenty of protein and do some strength/resistance training

a lot of people go for 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat, my macros are set to 40/25/35 as 25% of my calories is 120g of protein, which is plenty for my size.

i have never measured sugar, i like fruit, its good for you, as long as you're not getting all your calories from mars bars, i wouldnt worry too much about sugar - as long as you're not diabetic or anything like that of course!
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

to maintain muscle while you're losing weight its recommended that you eat plenty of protein and do some strength/resistance training

a lot of people go for 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat, my macros are set to 40/25/35 as 25% of my calories is 120g of protein, which is plenty for my size.

i have never measured sugar, i like fruit, its good for you, as long as you're not getting all your calories from mars bars, i wouldnt worry too much about sugar - as long as you're not diabetic or anything like that of course!
    Link for setting up your macros-http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Taylor0212
    Taylor0212 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i dont think you necessarily need to do anything differently, though i would change your macros so you are getting more protein, and maybe add some more fruit and veg to your meals.

other than that you just have to be patient, if you are weighing and measuring everything you eat and drink accurately then you will lose weight on the amount you're eating.

^This! I found my best results when adding more fiber and protein! They keep you fuller longer, you'll be surprised! That with adding water! Also, maybe try something new. I consistantly switch up my workouts so my body is "confused" and doesn't adapt. Good luck and stick with it!
  • lynn_miller15
    Options

Link for setting up your macros-http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Thanks guys!! My next question was going to be how to set up my macros!! Is there a website that would help me determine what my macros should be??
  • lynn_miller15
    Options

^This! I found my best results when adding more fiber and protein! They keep you fuller longer, you'll be surprised! That with adding water! Also, maybe try something new. I consistantly switch up my workouts so my body is "confused" and doesn't adapt. Good luck and stick with it!

Thanks! I was having ground flax in the morning to get some more fibre. As for the exercise routine - do you think that Jillian Michaels Body Revolution is good enough for change?? or should I put some other exercises in?
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I use this calculator for macros, myself: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

They tend to over-estimate though, for example I train 3-4 times a week but I select no Exercise.. but its more of a, this works out some numbers, you try them for 3-4 weeks and adjust accordingly. No calculator will give you 100% accurate numbers.
  • lynn_miller15
    Options
    ok so if I did my math correct for a person of my size - 225lbs, 5'7" tall, 30 years old - my macros should be:

Carb - 90g
    Protein - 68g
    Fat - 78g

Does that sound right?
  • gijade
    gijade Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a few suggestions ...
    1. It seems to me that for lunch and dinner you tend to eat pre-made food? Food you dont cook yourself, particularly from smaller restaurants, could be stuffing up your calorie counting. They also tend to have a lot more preservatives, salt and other bad things, that while not necessarily calorically bad, can be damaging with water weight/retention, slowing metabolism, etc. (eg. maybe aim for sodium under 2000?)
    2. I think someone else said this, but the sugars are a little high and sugar, particularly refined sugar, goes straight to fat when it is eaten. I wouldn't worry about the natural sugars in the fruits, but maybe try a sweetener where you can.
    3. To see more consistent/fast results, why dont you try going a little stricter on the diet and having a 1200 goal? Even if only for about a week or so, this can shock your body into burning more fat than a smaller decrease does. Of course, once your body gets used to it, the burn will slow down, but it could be a great motivational/inspirational tactic.
    4. A regular exercise plan? I don't really know any of the details about the program you are doing, but trying to go every day could be a great way to start shifting the weight. Even if its only a half hour jog, cycling, zumba, or any kind of cardio, its important to at least have 30 minutes of activity during the day. It doesnt have to be excessive, just something that ups your heart rate. I'm not sure if you are already doing this with your exercise plan, but I thought I would chuck it in just incase.

Overall, you seem to be doing the mechanics for weightloss, but I think you should try to make it a cleaner plan, or one incorporating a get fit/healthy attitude, rather than this many calories deficit means i lose this much weight. Good luck and I hope you succeed :) If you ever need motivation to keep going I find fitspiration on facebook is quite fabulous ...
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    ok so if I did my math correct for a person of my size - 225lbs, 5'7" tall, 30 years old - my macros should be:

Carb - 90g
    Protein - 68g
    Fat - 78g

Does that sound right?

Can you give me your weight, height, age please - you may have provided it above but I am already replying now so don't wanna go back and check haha.

Ignore "gijade" lots of bad information in that post.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You said that your TOM is in 2 weeks--I have stalled (and have seen that other women do too) around ovulation..I sometimes won't see a loss for 1-2 weeks, and then lose 5 lbs all at once (I guess my body is holding on to water).
  • lynn_miller15
    Options
    You said that your TOM is in 2 weeks--I have stalled (and have seen that other women do too) around ovulation..I sometimes won't see a loss for 1-2 weeks, and then lose 5 lbs all at once (I guess my body is holding on to water).

Here's hoping that's the case!! haha - I workout 6 days a week for 30 minutes (pretty intensely too) and eat roughly 1450 calories give or take....Good luck to you too!
  • lynn_miller15
    Options

Carb - 90g
    Protein - 68g
    Fat - 78g

Does that sound right?

Can you give me your weight, height, age please - you may have provided it above but I am already replying now so don't wanna go back and check haha.

I did mention it! LOL

Age - 30
    Weight - 225lb
    Height - 5'7"
    Workout - 6 times/week (30 min each)
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Carb - 90g
    Protein - 68g
    Fat - 78g

Does that sound right?

I did mention it! LOL

Age - 30
    Weight - 225lb
    Height - 5'7"

Ok, so realistically 6 times a week on a calculator is gonna over-estimate, so I opted for 3, although it may still be an over-estimate, but it gives you a good starting point..

2075 calories
    184 protein (0.82g per lb of bodyweight)
    90 fat (0.4g per lb of bodyweight
    131 carbs

That is with 15% off your TDEE

20% would be

1953 calories
    184 protein
    90 fat
    101 carbss
  • lynn_miller15
    Options

Carb - 90g
    Protein - 68g
    Fat - 78g

Does that sound right?

Wow - that much calories?? I'm fearful that if I eat that much I'll gain more weight. I know I know probably a stupid mentality but I REALLY want to lose weight...

Interesting though - thanks

I did mention it! LOL

Age - 30
    Weight - 225lb
    Height - 5'7"

Ok, so realistically 6 times a week on a calculator is gonna over-estimate, so I opted for 3, although it may still be an over-estimate, but it gives you a good starting point..

2075 calories
    184 protein (0.82g per lb of bodyweight)
    90 fat (0.4g per lb of bodyweight
    131 carbs

That is with 15% off your TDEE

20% would be

1953 calories
    184 protein
    90 fat
    101 carbss
  • lynn_miller15
    Options
    Sorry - quick fingers!

That's a lot of calories no?? I'm fearful that if I eat that much in calories I'll gain more weight - I know that's probably a really stupid mentality BUT I REALLY want to lose weight! haha :)