Can't Run. =(

Options
I'm so bummed. I've been running every day for the past 6 weeks but my left ankle and both my knees are feeling pain today and I know it's not right so...I have to pull it all back to speed walking until I lose some weight or they heal completely. I love running SO much and I hate that I have to give it up for a while. I'll make the best of it but I hope I heal FAST! =(

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I hope you heal fast.
    Have you gone to a running store and had your gait analyzed to make sure you are wearing the best shoe for you? That might help minimize the pain you are experiencing.
  • luckyladybug24
    luckyladybug24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'll do that...thanks! =)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I'm so bummed. I've been running every day for the past 6 weeks but my left ankle and both my knees are feeling pain today and I know it's not right so...I have to pull it all back to speed walking until I lose some weight or they heal completely. I love running SO much and I hate that I have to give it up for a while. I'll make the best of it but I hope I heal FAST! =(

Same here, IT band. I can barely swim. :(

Just give it time. Time. Time. Time.
    Ti me.Ti
    me.

T im e.Timeimeimeime

Have to run. It's out there.
    Can't sleep the clowns will eat me.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I feel you, I can't run however because im fat. Walking is my thing. Unfortunately I have a torn atfl in my ankle so some days every step I take is painful, like today, and I was unable to go walking. Sucked. And it will not get better without surgery but I hope one day I'm able to run.
  • babol23
    babol23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Know how you feel, I had a similar problem with my knees, I switched over to cycling, maybe try swimming less stress
    on the joints.
  • sendit
    sendit Posts: 28
    Options
    Look for a specialty running store. They'll watch you run and match you with the proper pair of shoes. It's possible that your shoes may be part of the problem.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Know how you feel, I had a similar problem with my knees, I switched over to cycling, maybe try swimming less stress
    on the joints.

Swimming and cycling will be better on the joints. Running puts 12 x your body weight through you, whereas the other two are only 1 x.

As with the other guys, get well soon and get the gait checked for a proper pair of shoes - which'll also help.
  • LJSmith1989
    Options
    Do you think it might be because you have ran everyday? If you have a lot to lose then perhaps its putting to much strain on your joints. I would run just a few times per week (3 perhaps?) and then as you lose weight increase your runs etc
  • Cillajane1954
    Cillajane1954 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I cannot even walk at this time. . . had a knee injury in March 2012 and my doctor is just now ready to scope it. So until my knee is healed my exercise is very limited. My surgery is August 28th. Because of this should I cut my calories back more? I currently eat 1200/day. Good luck on your injury.
  • LordOberon
    LordOberon Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Look for a specialty running store. They'll watch you run and match you with the proper pair of shoes. It's possible that your shoes may be part of the problem.

Also you should get advice on how to treat and prevent the ankle and knee injuries. Best would be a doctor, but of course that might not be possible for everyone. However, if you are going to the running store, you can get "free" advice and tips.
  • clbortiz
    clbortiz Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Do you think it might be because you have ran everyday?

This is exactly what I was going to ask. I had almost 100 pounds to lose when i started running. I started doing a 5k app program and in the beginning was able to run everyday because I was walking more than running. As my run time increased I was no longer able to run everyday...it hurt my knees too much. I cut back to three times a week, or at a max, every other day and that seems to working great.
  • luckyladybug24
    luckyladybug24 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! So much great advise and ideas. I believe it's a combo of not having the right shoe and I'm running too often for my size (I weigh over 400 lbs). Once I heal....I'll cut it back to 3days a week and get me a great pair of shoes fit for me! :wink: