Help! Can't seem to get enough protein

Options

Replies

• shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to each so much protein? Excess protein (especially and almost exclusively protein from animal sources) causes liver damage among other things. Optimum range is 5-12%, 15% if you really think you need it even for someone looking to put on muslce. At the end of the day, if you want more muscle, go lift heavy things.

"Excess" protein by most studies starts well above 30%... not 5-12%. Do you have studies to back up your "optimum" numbers that aren't biased? Could you post them please.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you need to each so much protein? Excess protein (especially and almost exclusively protein from animal sources) causes liver damage among other things. Optimum range is 5-12%, 15% if you really think you need it even for someone looking to put on muslce. At the end of the day, if you want more muscle, go lift heavy things.

funny-gif-no-no-no-Jason-Bateman.gif

http://authoritynutrition.com/is-too-much-protein-bad-for-you/
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I peaked at your diary. I use egg white protein and unsweetened almond milk. I actually can't have milk, which cuts out whey.

When I compared the little data that is shown on our profiles, here is what I found... my protein has 40 less calories, half the carbs, and no fat. It does have 3 grams less protein though. The big difference is in our mix (almond vs real milk.) The almond milk I use has, per 8oz, 40 calories (Yours has 120 calories), 1 carb (Yours has 11), 2 g of fat (Yours has 5), and 5 g of protein (Yours has 8).

I would say that if you just changed the milk you drink, you could allow for more calories for protein.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I usually have problems with not exceeding my protein goals and I don't use protein powders (well, OK, 10-15g of BCAA pre/intra workout). I just eat loads and loads of fish. In fact, I eat so much fish I think I'll soon grow gills.
  • veg_runner
    veg_runner Posts: 38 Member
    Options

"Excess" protein by most studies starts well above 30%... not 5-12%. Do you have studies to back up your "optimum" numbers that aren't biased? Could you post them please.

Sure. Go read "The China Study" which is a that study examined more than 350 variables of health and nutrition with surveys from 6,500 adults in more than 2,500 counties across China and Taiwan, and conclusively demonstrates the link between nutrition and heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. It goes into what the optimal amount of protein is to eat among the multitude of other topics it covers about health. It's a book EVERYONE who is cares about their health should read. And T. Colin Campbell started out with the diametrical opposite view and used to espouse and tout protein and animal foods in his early days, so it's definitely not biased in anyway. If you don't want to read a book, watch some lectures of his on YouTube.
    WHO (World Health Organization) recommends 5% of protein for men and women (which includes a safety buffer too).
    Common sense argument too. When do we grow the most and fastest out of any other period of our life? When we are infants. What do we eat at that time? Mother's milk. What is the protein content of human breast milk? 5-6%. We really only NEED 2.5% but unless you are eating a bunch of fractured foods like oils or refined sugars you will automatically get at least 5-10% consuming a variety of plant foods. Problems arise when we go above that level which most of Western civilization has adopted which is a diet of kings and queens and look how we have turned out. Fat and sick like the kings and queens were from eating all of that rich food 24/7. I could go on but I digress. The information is out there. If you want other books/studies/authors, check out Dr. McDougall, Dr. Essylstyn, Dr. Neal Barnard, and Dr. Dean Ornish come off the top of my head. Great places to start.
  • sarahertzberger
    sarahertzberger Posts: 534 Member
    Options

Really................................Really, uuuummmmm no
  • veg_runner
    Options

Lulz, a blogger debunked scientific studies and peer reviewed research. *Slow clap* If you want to believe your bro science, go for it. When you want to do real research, go read some books and scientific journals before picking the top search result off of google :)
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'd say egg whites (i eat a cup in the morning), nonfat Greek yogurt mixed with berries or a nut butter..I've done it with a scoop of protein powder and get it really cold stir it really good and its awesome... tuna/ tilapia..chicken... I've been as high as 125g of protein before and felt very full! I eat a lot of cottage cheese too...:)
  • veg_runner
    Options

Really................................Really, uuuummmmm no

Well then we should be walking around in a society of body builders then huh? I mean everyone is consuming 15+% of protein in America. You get muscles from lifting heavy things. Not by consuming egregious amounts of protein. Look at gorillas. They eat mostly greens and fruits with some bugs and they could outlift any of us. Not to mention all the other animals that eat not the highest protein diets and are strong as all get out.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Lulz, a blogger debunked scientific studies and peer reviewed research. *Slow clap* If you want to believe your bro science, go for it. When you want to do real research, go read some books and scientific journals before picking the top search result off of google :)

i edited my response after the fact to throw that link at you so you could start the process of tracking down more relevant reading (because of the embedded links) on your own. if you think i'm going to do that footwork for you, you're nuts.

...but i think it's cute that a 20 year old vegetarian is chastising a 45 year old engineer about the importance of reading actual scientific journals. :laugh:
  • veg_runner
    Options

i edited my response after the fact to throw that link at you so you could start the process of tracking down more relevant reading (because of the embedded links) on your own. if you think i'm going to do that footwork for you, you're nuts.

...but i think it's cute that a 20 year old vegetarian is chastising a 45 year old engineer about the importance of reading actual scientific journals. :laugh:

Vegan and studying to become an MD too thanks :) But have you honestly read anything related to nutrition outside of your current beliefs or opinions on the matter? If you want some recommendations, I'd be happy to supply them to an intellectual who would appreciate them.
  • BathtubBadger
    BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    veg_runner makes me want to punch babies. So much bull****.
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Sure. Go read "The China Study"
    http://chriskresser.com/rest-in-peace-china-study
  • littlemissm14
    Options
    Whole Eggs, Eggs whites, low fat cottage cheese, fish and chicken are my go-to protein sources. Post-workout protein powder (I LOVE Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, any flavor) is a must for me! 120 Calories, 24g protein, and just a few carbs. Pure Protein is okay to, but contains some additives I don't care for. Nuts, greek yogurt, cheese, and beans/legumes are great choices too. Just make sure you eat plenty of fiber and drink water while you SLOWLY increase your intake and you will be fine.

As far as "bro science" goes, high protein/low carb diets aren't for everyone. It can cause serious metabolic damage, especially when incorporated with large amounts of exercise. Too much of anything isn't good for you. There are times in your life when increased protein is good for you, like adolescence, pregnancy and lactation, and extreme strength and indurance training.

This PEER-REVIEWED article is a resource for you that looks at a few dietary protein theories and the role they play in weight management and body composition.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3509388/?report=classic
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Just looking at your diary, I'd say you are getting plenty of protein. However, you seem to be going over your calorie goal almost every day. I would focus on lowering your calorie intake by cutting down on some carbs (no, I'm not saying carbs are bad!).
  • littlemissm14
    Options

This...
  • veg_runner
    Options

This...
    A blogger debunked scientific and peer reviewed research. Don't be so gullible. Go do real research on something and understand it before pulling a website out of a hat of someone who has no credentials and is claiming to disprove a scientific study. Please for your own sake.
  • veg_runner
    Options
    veg_runner makes me want to punch babies. So much bull****.
    Why don't you put that anger to doing some research and be constructive.
  • BathtubBadger
    BathtubBadger Posts: 217 Member
    Options

This...
    A blogger debunked scientific and peer reviewed research. Don't be so gullible. Go do real research on something and understand it before pulling a website out of a hat of someone who has no credentials and is claiming to disprove a scientific study. Please for your own sake.

You're 20 years old. Don't be so gullible. Having credentials is hardly a sign of knowledge, or makes someone's advice legitimate. Maybe if you read a little bit outside of your preconceived beliefs (vegan, you say?), you'll realize what you're saying is nothing but fallacies.

I am a certified beer sommelier and brewer, yet I still make beer that tastes like perfume once in a while.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Sure. Go read "The China Study" which is a that study examined more than 350 variables of health and nutrition with surveys from 6,500 adults in more than 2,500 counties across China and Taiwan, and conclusively demonstrates the link between nutrition and heart disease, diabetes, and cancer. It goes into what the optimal amount of protein is to eat among the multitude of other topics it covers about health. It's a book EVERYONE who is cares about their health should read. And T. Colin Campbell started out with the diametrical opposite view and used to espouse and tout protein and animal foods in his early days, so it's definitely not biased in anyway. If you don't want to read a book, watch some lectures of his on YouTube.
    WHO (World Health Organization) recommends 5% of protein for men and women (which includes a safety buffer too).
    Common sense argument too. When do we grow the most and fastest out of any other period of our life? When we are infants. What do we eat at that time? Mother's milk. What is the protein content of human breast milk? 5-6%. We really only NEED 2.5% but unless you are eating a bunch of fractured foods like oils or refined sugars you will automatically get at least 5-10% consuming a variety of plant foods. Problems arise when we go above that level which most of Western civilization has adopted which is a diet of kings and queens and look how we have turned out. Fat and sick like the kings and queens were from eating all of that rich food 24/7. I could go on but I digress. The information is out there. If you want other books/studies/authors, check out Dr. McDougall, Dr. Essylstyn, Dr. Neal Barnard, and Dr. Dean Ornish come off the top of my head. Great places to start.

The China study!!!!!
    :laugh:

You mean "The Most Discredited Study Eva". Yeah, that's a quick way to discredit yourself.