Supplements? What's smart and safe?

Options
I don't currently take vitamins or other supplements, but I've been hearing about the benefits, especially of Vitamin D.

What's the lowdown on it all? What do you take and what line do you trust for supplements?

Replies

• byrdiebee
    byrdiebee Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this question also. With a hint of autumn in the air this morning, I am reminded that the sun will be less abundant here soon, and I am wondering about vitamin D in particular.
  • RosyBest
    RosyBest Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I went to GNC and they gave me this awesome multivitamin for women. It has all of the vitamins that I know that I miss. I would look into GNC and see what type of supplements they have for men.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I take Fish oil daily ( i dont eat seafood) and it is also good for imflamation

I take B12 for energy

I take magnesium to help with nerve and muscle function( it also serves to keep me regular , from too much protein constipating me)

Before and after a workout i take AminoCore ( and concentrated BCAA) to help with my workouts and recovery.

I dont care for pills much so i take my multi vitamin in the way of a powder form in my water bottle ( they come in packets like crystal light)
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    *shrugs*
    Supplements aren't needed if you get everything from food. It's just a bit of a helper

I personally take Multivitamins, Calcium and Vitamin D as well as BCAAs since I lift fasted and it takes a good 6-7hrs after lifting before I have my first meal
  • BeardedMike
    BeardedMike Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    As a shift worker, taking vitamin D is essential for me. I remember when I first started taking it, it was like a new lease of life. Absolutely recommend vitamin D, if unsure if you need it, get a blood test.

As for the others, fish oil (cause i dont eat seafood), a multivitamin, and a ZMA supplement (zinc, magnesium and vitamin b6)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    A good read:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-1.html
    and
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-2.html

Those address the big supplements. Vitamins should be supplemented based on diet/need.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I take a few...omega 3, kelp etc. tailored to my own personal needs, but my primary is Rainbow Light Women's One. Includes all the Vit D I need and a lot of other great stuff and is the only vitamin I've ever been able to take on an empty stomach. All around great product for me.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this question also. With a hint of autumn in the air this morning, I am reminded that the sun will be less abundant here soon, and I am wondering about vitamin D in particular.

I have serious issues with SAD and I live in the frozen north. I worry about it a lot when I see the day is beginning to shorten. Winter is so long.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I went to GNC and they gave me this awesome multivitamin for women. It has all of the vitamins that I know that I miss. I would look into GNC and see what type of supplements they have for men.

I am seriously going to have to get a new profile pic. I am female.
  • cdjs77
    cdjs77 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin (to fill in any of the important stuff I miss) and and Omega (3, 6, 9) supplement as I don't eat a lot of seafood (especially now that I have moved to a landlocked country).
    I have serious issues with SAD and I live in the frozen north. I worry about it a lot when I see the day is beginning to shorten. Winter is so long.

I had the same problem and my doctor prescribed Melatonin and Vitamin D supplements. They have worked wonders for me in combination. However, although I think Melatonin is available over the counter in North America, I would talk to your doctor before you start taking it.
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    I work for a doctor and some people are effected with fatigue from low Vit D. I'd suggest seeing your doc and having it checked. It's a simple blood test. If it's extreamly low, they my ahve you take a weekly does of 50,000 IU's to help bring you back to a normal range.
  • pdxevergreen
    pdxevergreen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes, I take supplements.....but I don't suggest you take what everyone else is taking. Take inventory of your health and find what YOU need to take. I suggest http://premiumhealthsupplements.net/ because you can customize your supplements to your needs.