HELP!! and advice!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Sorry - quick fingers!

That's a lot of calories no?? I'm fearful that if I eat that much in calories I'll gain more weight - I know that's probably a really stupid mentality BUT I REALLY want to lose weight! haha :)

Which is why I said exercise levels always over-estimate on calculators, but you could try the -20% one (1953 calories) for 2-3 weeks and see what happens.

There is no magical fix, or a magical speed pill. Slow and steady wins the race, every single time.

Usually after 3-4 weeks if your weight does not drop, you'd know to lower calories. But those calories I have given you there aren't exactly 'high' but if you are truly doing exercise @ 225 lbs 6 times a week you will not gain fat with those calories.
  • lynn_miller15
    lynn_miller15 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Great thank you so much!! I'll try it out and see what happens. I appreciate your advice!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Great thank you so much!! I'll try it out and see what happens. I appreciate your advice!!

just as a comparrison i am 5ft5, 130something pounds and i am losing bodyfat eating around 2100 cals... you dont have to starve to lose weight!
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

No problem, don't be impatient with the scale either, it is likely your weight may rise slightly at the start due to water weight, sodium etc..

If you need any help/advice after this feel free to add me/pm me so you can ask me anything or if you're worried about anything.

Good luck!
  • lynn_miller15
    Options

No problem, don't be impatient with the scale either, it is likely your weight may rise slightly at the start due to water weight, sodium etc..

If you need any help/advice after this feel free to add me/pm me so you can ask me anything or if you're worried about anything.

Good luck!

One more question - how do I change those numbers to % - which MFP needs
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Good luck!

One more question - how do I change those numbers to % - which MFP needs

You can't, MFP sucks for that - just write them down and remember them, or move the %'s to get them as close as you can - i have mine on a notepad file on my pc desktop incase i forget :D
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I always suggest to each individual that they measure their food.. and get A Heart Rate monitor. The only way to loose weight it to eat less calories than you burn.... guessing on food is never a good idea... guessing on exercise level is never a great idea..... I would get both of these two measured out correctly.... on your logging page set it up so that you can watch, carbs, protein, fat, fiber and I watch my iron.... I have to watch my iron! That's just my suggestion... I have learned that loosing weight and body sculpting can be a pretty tedious thing... If your just starting.... Just try making a few changes at a time... first... if you have conquered you calories in and out.. by measuring then start watching your Marcos.. protein, fat etc... I am not a professional body sculptor or nutrionalist.. I am a teacher...... You have figure out what works.. our bodies are all the same in a lot of ways... but then you have to tweak your numbers and exercise a little to suit what you will do that gets results!
  • PheonixRizing
    PheonixRizing Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most of everyone said on here. Lower your carbs and intake of packaged foods will help. Calories in Calories out is only a half truth...i think some of what you need to be eating is healthy fruits and veggies, and lean meats. Cutting out processed and packages foods can be hard but it's worth it. You are in the beginning of your journey and its good to just get into the habit of logging accurately and then I would use the information from the past month or so and see what you could do that is more beneficial with the calories. Like instead of having the restaurant prepackaged meals try making your own healthy version at home. A thing I also did was reduce my carb intake... after exercise I eat only half of what MFP gives me for the day. You just have to play with your numbers a bit until you start seeing results and remember... take a step back, and realize that this weight didn't come on fast and won't come off fast. It's a journey to change your life, it isn't a quick fix.

2 other things.

1. Buy a food scale you'll be amazed at the difference in weighing vs. measuring cups or guessing.
    and 2. Do not follow a 1200 calorie diet unless instructed to by a medical professional or dietitian for health reasons for a short period of time. 1200 calorie diets are NOT sustainable and can hinder your health overall. (I know there are people who do this, sometimes depending on your height MFP or whatever calculator you are using will give you these numbers but if you aren't like 5 ft to 5'3'' tall likely this isn't what you should be eating)
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Yea, these caluclators are really guesses at best. You need to explore and find out what you need. I could go through all of the math for how I calculate mine but; when it comes down to it, yours is likely not going to follow the same thing. But I do know that by calculating my actual needs (real or not) then actually using a scale to weigh everything that goes in. I can make a really educated guess on how many pounds I should lose or gain. If my math is off that tells me that there is a problem with my calculation. I know a lot of people on here use the TDLMNOQ.. What ever. I use a generic 10% * body weight, that number *15% which is my daily activity number. Then add for my exercise. That number genreally comes out around 31-3200 calories a day. Since I want to lose I just plant my intake at 2500, which means 700 calorie deficit per day, Every 5 days =1 lb. If that is not happening then I need to look at my exercise or my daily activity numbers. Personally I tend to find the 15% I use is low; but I like under estimating... That's just me...

The other thing people have to remember is that your body is constantly changing so you constantly have to refine your intakes. It's a never ending game for some of us...
  • Pentink
    Pentink Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but I'll offer observations from my experience.
    1) Be religious about your tracking food and exercise. And be honest with yourself. Did you slip in 4 almonds and not record them? Did you push yourself and get your heart rate up or just move along with the beat on the video?

2) Find a food program (one that comes with the exercise videos, for instance, or from a book or magazine) and stick with it. Don't cheat. Pick a program that's healthy and susatainable for you. Don't make up your meal or day's menu that morning. Plan and prepare -- it makes it easier to stay on plan and not panic or cheat.

3) Use a food scale. Really. Huge difference.

4) As my trainer taught me: nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. You can work out all you want but firming up the muscles doesn't work so well if you're not properly fueling your body.

5) Add weights or resistance training. Building the muscles amps your metabolism and speeds weight loss.

6) Don't increase or decrease your calorie intake based on the day's exercise. Get an average goal and eat to that goal. I used to play with my intake/output based on what I did or planned to do that day. It wasn't until I stuck with 1560 calories per day, every day that I started to see results.

7) MFP's protein default is too low, I think. I shoot for 30-40% protein and under 30% fat. It wasn't until I consistently got under 30% fat (and met my calorie goals #6 above) that the weight started to fall off.

8) You will hit plateaus. Just shouldn't happen this early in the game. Your results tell me you're not really serious and committed. You might say you are, but look at your habits and focus and decide what needs to be changed -- exercise intensity, frequency and duration; food intake, frequency and concentration; can-do attitude or self-defeatism.

Good luck! It is possible!! You just need to create the environment for possibility and success.
  • lynn_miller15
    Options
    I can't see your diary, but I'll offer observations from my experience.
    1) Be religious about your tracking food and exercise. And be honest with yourself. Did you slip in 4 almonds and not record them? Did you push yourself and get your heart rate up or just move along with the beat on the video?

2) Find a food program (one that comes with the exercise videos, for instance, or from a book or magazine) and stick with it. Don't cheat. Pick a program that's healthy and susatainable for you. Don't make up your meal or day's menu that morning. Plan and prepare -- it makes it easier to stay on plan and not panic or cheat.

3) Use a food scale. Really. Huge difference.

4) As my trainer taught me: nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. You can work out all you want but firming up the muscles doesn't work so well if you're not properly fueling your body.

5) Add weights or resistance training. Building the muscles amps your metabolism and speeds weight loss.

6) Don't increase or decrease your calorie intake based on the day's exercise. Get an average goal and eat to that goal. I used to play with my intake/output based on what I did or planned to do that day. It wasn't until I stuck with 1560 calories per day, every day that I started to see results.

7) MFP's protein default is too low, I think. I shoot for 30-40% protein and under 30% fat. It wasn't until I consistently got under 30% fat (and met my calorie goals #6 above) that the weight started to fall off.

8) You will hit plateaus. Just shouldn't happen this early in the game. Your results tell me you're not really serious and committed. You might say you are, but look at your habits and focus and decide what needs to be changed -- exercise intensity, frequency and duration; food intake, frequency and concentration; can-do attitude or self-defeatism.

Good luck! It is possible!! You just need to create the environment for possibility and success.

thanks for all the advice. In response to some of the feedback. I am fully committed 100%. I have a food scale and I weight my food, I use measuring cups for all my food and I work my BUTT off in the exercise program that I am doing. My boyfriend can attest to that considering he is doing it with me.
    I think it is exactly what others are telling me - I have to change my macros and start eating more lean protein etc.

Thanks again I appreciate the feedback!
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    One thing I suggest is Lynn, don't measure food in cups, grams only.
  • n3verlettingmyselfgo
    n3verlettingmyselfgo Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I know you're a carb lover, but here's the thing about carbs; they spike your blood sugar and insulin levels. When your blood sugar is too high, insulin is unable to work as it should and the sugar and carbs are stored as fat instead, causing weight gain. If this is the case with you, maybe try and cut your carbs down and see if that works?

(I'm not an expert and i'm not sure if that is explained well but you could always look it up, im just a studant, so my wording and explanation my not be 100 % accurate, but that is the general understanding.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I know you're a carb lover, but here's the thing about carbs; they spike your blood sugar and insulin levels. When your blood sugar is too high, insulin is unable to work as it should and the sugar and carbs are stored as fat instead, causing weight gain. If this is the case with you, maybe try and cut your carbs down and see if that works?

(I'm not an expert and i'm not sure if that is explained well but you could always look it up, im just a studant, so my wording and explanation my not be 100 % accurate, but that is the general understanding.

This is not completely true, and it's not the issue here.
  • n3verlettingmyselfgo
    n3verlettingmyselfgo Posts: 266 Member
    Options

You comment on bloody everything. Did you read my note at the bottom. I study this stuff, and yes, i know it's not 100% accurate, but neither is everything you say. Carbs do matter for many people, and that is a fact.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

You comment on bloody everything. Did you read my note at the bottom. I study this stuff, and yes, i know it's not 100% accurate, but neither is everything you say. Carbs do matter for many people, and that is a fact.

Yes, I comment on everything because I've spent the last god knows how many years of my life transforming my own and others lives.

The carbs will not be affecting her weight loss, she isn't eating a ridiculous amount, if she is in a caloric deficit she will lose weight regardless, she stated no insulin issues. You are what you said, just a student - and what you learn as a student has no relevance to this,, because everything I've learnt about 'fitness & nutrition" from education has been wrong.